Back Button Operation

Jan 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the login changes have started, the operation of the back button has changed for some reason. IE seems to go back to the same place, but SeaMonkey fails to do that. I have tried different browsers and web sites. IE does return to the same place, but both SeaMonkey and FireFox go back to the top of the page. This does not happen on other sites, only the forum, leading to the conclusion that there is a change in the forum software (though I can not find anything in the source listings).

In a related manner, a refresh also moves back to the top of the page. This is not typical in browsers and has apparently been added to the forums. Please leave out these moves to the top of the page and leave the page where it was. Let the browser work normally. When one returns to the top of the page with either a back button or a refresh, I then have to just scan down to where I was before again. It gets to be a real pain and I have found it very annoying in the Acrobat for Windows forum.

Since this is a recent occurrence, I assume it is an issue with the changes to the forum structure. It would be nice to have a consistent manner of operating that is consistent with normal use and not something changed by a new forum setup. Designing software oriented only to IE is not acceptable.

I noticed that there are several options now available in the preferences for display, like turning off a lot of the junk. When I go to one of the ColdFusion type links, those preferences are ignored. I still do not understand why there is an instance in a change when the folks that use the Adobe forums are generally happy with them. At least one person indicated that folks on the MM based forums go to a news format because they dislike the MM format. If it is true that many that use the MM format do not like it, then why the change in that direction? If that is not correct, it would be nice to know what is so great about all the wasted space.

I posted here as what appears to be the best place to post about changes to the forums. I am interested to see the reactions from others as they go back to work this week and start seeing the changes, though small at present. So far I have not seen anything that I consider an improvement and the back button issue is annoying to say the least (no, I will not change to IE to avoid it).

Bill

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Back Button Operation

Jan 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the login changes have started, the operation of the back button has changed for some reason. IE seems to go back to the same place, but SeaMonkey fails to do that. I have tried different browsers and web sites. IE does return to the same place, but both SeaMonkey and FireFox go back to the top of the page. This does not happen on other sites, only the forum, leading to the conclusion that there is a change in the forum software (though I can not find anything in the source listings).

In a related manner, a refresh also moves back to the top of the page. This is not typical in browsers and has apparently been added to the forums. Please leave out these moves to the top of the page and leave the page where it was. Let the browser work normally. When one returns to the top of the page with either a back button or a refresh, I then have to just scan down to where I was before again. It gets to be a real pain and I have found it very annoying in the Acrobat for Windows forum.

Since this is a recent occurrence, I assume it is an issue with the changes to the forum structure. It would be nice to have a consistent manner of operating that is consistent with normal use and not something changed by a new forum setup. Designing software oriented only to IE is not acceptable.

I noticed that there are several options now available in the preferences for display, like turning off a lot of the junk. When I go to one of the ColdFusion type links, those preferences are ignored. I still do not understand why there is an instance in a change when the folks that use the Adobe forums are generally happy with them. At least one person indicated that folks on the MM based forums go to a news format because they dislike the MM format. If it is true that many that use the MM format do not like it, then why the change in that direction? If that is not correct, it would be nice to know what is so great about all the wasted space.

I posted here as what appears to be the best place to post about changes to the forums. I am interested to see the reactions from others as they go back to work this week and start seeing the changes, though small at present. So far I have not seen anything that I consider an improvement and the back button issue is annoying to say the least (no, I will not change to IE to avoid it).

Bill

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 25, 2009 0
Jan 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless the powers that be cater to the consumers that use the forums, and not sensibilities of web designers. I afraid that the forums will go the way of dodo birds.

Sadly I'm finding more an more forums are be redesigned to allow the designers to thump their chest and say looky what I've done. When websites should only consider ease of use by the people using the website

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 26, 2009 0
Jan 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing these problems you are having. Are you talking about the MM forums?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 26, 2009 0
Jan 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A FULL refresh (Command + Shift + R on Firefox/Mac) is supposed to reload a page as though you are just visiting it for the first time, so being returned to the top of the page is correct and standard behavior. A simple reload (Command + R, or clicking the "Reload" button in the browser's tool bar) will refresh and put you back to where you had previously scrolled to.

If you ARE talking about problems with the (former) Macromedia/ColdFusion-based forums...it's anybody's guess, an all bets are off. Their efficacy is dubious, at best.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 26, 2009 0
Jan 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point is that it was working fine until last Friday or so. The back button never took me to the top of the page before (or with other sites even now). In both SeaMonkey and FireFox, the back button takes me to the top of the previous page. The ctrl-R and ctrl-shft-R both take me to the top of the page.

In IE, neither of these behaviors happen. The back button takes me back were I was before and the ctrl-R (or refresh) leave me where I was, but updates the page. This is the operation of my normal browsers in other sites and I have always used the back button to get back to where I was. It was easy to navigate as a result (and I have been using this forum for about 5 years on a nearly daily basis). The change I am talking about happened last week after the registration process occurred. I find the extra steps in browsing through the topics a real pain with the change, whatever it was.

I have checked different sites and browsers to be sure it is not just me. That has happened on different machines also. I am convinced that it is a change to the navigation of the forums that was created last week. How, I have no idea. However, it is a pain and that is why I posted. I am trying to get information out since it appears that Adobe is headed down another mess up with the change of the forums. I suspect they are going to get all sorts of flack and am raising a flag.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 26, 2009 0
Jan 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if I'm getting you.

Here's how this one thing works for me on Firefox/Mac (I use nothing else for these (Adobeforums.com) pages...Let's ignore the behavior of the Adobe.com forums for now:

Say I'm on a thread index page, and I scroll the whole way to the bottom and click on the thread title at the bottom of the list. That takes me into that thread.

I read through that thread, then click the button on my mouse that I have configured as "Back" in my browser -- Command + [ -- I am returned to the thread index and my view of the index is at the bottom of that page. That's where I was before I entered that last thread at the bottom of the list on that page.

Is that not working for you?

That's the way it's always worked for me, and nothing has changed recently.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 26, 2009 0