• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Message editor hogs CPU on IE 8

LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2009 Apr 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new forums' rich-text editor hogs the CPU when using IE 8 on Vista.  The following causes it to consume 40% of a dual-core 1.8 GHz CPU (80% of a single processor):

1. Reboot and open a new IE 8 window.

2. Go to a forum and open 5 messages in tabs.

3. Click on the first message tab.

4. Reply to the message.

5. Click the mouse on the editor's text box (where you type the body of a reply).

6. Click on the other 4 message tabs in turn.

7. Click back on the tab with the message reply being edited.

If I open a new IE 8 window and repeat with another forum, about 80% of my CPU is being used.

This doesn't happen with Firefox on the same machine or IE 7 on another XP machine.

It's not reasonable to say "use Firefox", because most users of many products (e.g. Photoshop Elements) are on IE, and Windows auto-update is gradually upgrading users to IE 8 over the next couple of months.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 19, 2009 Apr 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to let you know I agree with you... I haven't really done any testing, but I do keep a copy of the Windows Task Manager open most of the time... and this forum software causes a huge resource hit. Doesn't matter what kind of machine or browser or anything. A beefier machine is less affected then an older or bare bones one with limited resources, but it's still too much of a hit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines