Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New forums suck

Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm spiked at 99% CPU most of the time on this terrible crap forum--even just from moving the mouse over links.

I didn't complain about all the extra frilly stuff many people seemed to have a problem with, but...poor performance?  That's a deal breaker.

This is why JAVASCRIPT, and "Jive" sucks. This is unusable for me on IE 7... come on now. (???) Only took about 15 minutes to get here and post this...

Here's an idea Adobe: go ahead and create a FLEX forum if you want fancy fancy RIA type functionality and ditch this Ajax/JS hack trash. It's not like you don't have the expertise in Flex here... and it could use the demonstration and publicity.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 08, 2009 Apr 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a lot of different ways to do this but this is the shortest way to do it.

How do I stop receiving email notifications from the Adobe Forums?

We are looking into how to turn the defaults to "no" but this will not work retroactively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you being paid by the word?

RoboWizard wrote:

Hi there

I'll probably be flamed for this, but here goes.

Imagine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

RoboWizard wrote:

I compare NNTP to the children expecting the pizza delivery man to arrive at the door with the pizza. The parents have deemed that won't be the case any longer. I consider the new forums to be a bit like having to get up from the table and serve yourself. That is, if you are one who chooses to visit the web forums to participate.

The new forums offer E-Mail support. I might compare that to the parents advising that instead of the Pizza man arriving, Meals on Wheels will arrive instead to bring pizza. (Same food, different delivery mechanism)

Overall, the way I see it Adobe has provided a means other than the web interface to participate.

The email gateway is just too buggy to be usefull.What Adobe is providing is not the same food, it is a pizza with rat poison instead of cheese as a seasoning.

I have said it before and I will say it again: if Adobe fixes the bugs in the email system, I will build my own NNTP gateway and just use that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Cindy. I'm sure we can get used to this new way in time, but right now it seems like a step backward, less convenient in several ways. But then I'm used to that happening. I face it every day that I use DW after having grown accustomed to GL. Having to take the long route for tasks that used to go quickly. Yes, I am getting quite used to going the other direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Linda!

Long time no hear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I'm open to both web and nntp forums - no question nntp are much faster and easier to navigate. However I think this forum is like going back to IE6. I mean, come on, I've got to click through multiple pages to get to the last post? Why is there no link to click for "Today's Post"??? Anybody who actually wades through these post has too much time on their hands. But in spite of all of that - content is still king. And if the forums continue to get the quick responses from the regular "problem solvers" they will be OK - just slow and unintuitve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bobtimms wrote:

Why is there no link to click for "Today's Post"???

Its not a perfect workaround; but its better than scrolling from the top:  Click on the link that says XX minutes ago rather than the Subject.  That links you to the last post instead of the first post.  Its usually faster to start at the bottom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Wrigley wrote:

Its not a perfect workaround; but its better than scrolling from the top:  Click on the link that says XX minutes ago rather than the Subject.  That links you to the last post instead of the first post.  Its usually faster to start at the bottom.

Well, duh!      I've been doing that since this jive started.

Like I said, it's an initiative test!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bobtimms wrote:

Anybody who actually wades through these post has too much time on their hands.

and bobtimms also wrote:

if the forums continue to get the quick responses from the regular "problem solvers" they will be OK

do you even bloody realize that the same people you insulted in the 1st sentece are your "quick responding" "regular problem solvers"? why don't YOU step in and solve some problems. it's called "giving back to the community".

http://www.milbut.org/smilies/003.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Linda! Long time no hear.

Hey Graff! I trust you are well and still sailing…

Hi Rick,

I will give you this... You did a great job articulating the scenario. It does help bring perspective. However, I think most users would agree that the forums worked more efficiently the old way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't even work in WebKit (i.e. KDEs Konqueror). No matter what I set as the default editor type it never loads either of them. How can a comapny so 'into' the web get it so wrong ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm haven't tried to go in Forums through Safari Its apple's verion of Konqueror.  (Which is Webkit)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Webkit is the based on KHTML Kongi which is KDE's browser is based on KHTML Google Chrome and Chromium, (which I'm using at present) both used WebKit which is Open Source. However Google and Chromium went one step further than Apple with Webkit and created a superfast javascript interperter called V8 which is blazingly fast on heavy javascript pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines