So, is that e.mail really a spam?

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came here because I received an e.mail asking me to provide my log-in details so my forum membership could be updated.

No, I didn't use the link in the e.mail -- not sure what, exactly, but something in the e.mail made me suspicious it was a scam.

But the e.mail said that an interim step had been implemented, so that when I came to the forums I would be greeted with a dialogue asking me to recreate my log-in, and that hasn't happened. So was I right to be cautious? Is this some fast-moving scammer in action?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

So, is that e.mail really a spam?

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came here because I received an e.mail asking me to provide my log-in details so my forum membership could be updated.

No, I didn't use the link in the e.mail -- not sure what, exactly, but something in the e.mail made me suspicious it was a scam.

But the e.mail said that an interim step had been implemented, so that when I came to the forums I would be greeted with a dialogue asking me to recreate my log-in, and that hasn't happened. So was I right to be cautious? Is this some fast-moving scammer in action?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 18, 2009 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also received a message, but this seems to be complitely legitimate. It doesn't ask for any details but

>we are kindly asking you to please log into your forums account and then follow the prompts to migrate your account. It only takes a few minutes, and by completing this process, your messages will be brought forward into the new system as part of your account history.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 18, 2009 0
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, no option to edit my post.

Ahh well, I'll just add this:

I *meant* to say: if it's not a spam, it might be good for the e.mail to be rethought, because the instructions in it as to what will happen when a forum user comes here appear to be incorrect. There's no point in an instructional e.mail being sent out, I think, if it's simply going to add to any confusion or discontent.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 18, 2009 0
Guide ,
Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Hmmm, no option to edit my post.

No, not after someone has replied to the original post/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 18, 2009 0
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio posted:
> I also received a message, but this seems to be complitely legitimate. It doesn't ask for any details...

No, true, mate. But I received one last week (not from Adobe) that appeared just as legitimate, and even went to a completely fake (but authentic-looking) website that had been mocked up to support the scam. I was pretty sure I was following a scam, but I was curious and wanted to see just where it would go. So I followed it in a sandboxed session to find out what they were actually phishing for, and was careful not to give any actual information away or allow any background processes. It was several pages and dialog boxes into the process before they gave themselves away, by saying they wanted to give me a payment for participating in a fairly flimsy "questionnaire" and asking for details to authorise a transaction on my credit card, which of course they claimed would be in my favour.

Obviously I'm not suggesting Adobe would do any such thing. But when this new message claimed to be from Adobe but asked for me to follow a link (to a different domain name than "adobeforums.com", I must point out) and log into my account on its terms -- which would give them my log-in name and password -- I got a bit cautious, and wondered if others with an account on Adobe's forums had also received the message.

Even though you've also received it, Claudio, I don't yet feel reassured, so at this point I guess I'll take my chances on losing my log-in when the big switch-over takes place.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 18, 2009 0
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has had it's forums at adobeforums.com for a lot of years. A number of years ago Adobe bought Macromedia, along with another set of forums supporting that line of products.

Since then, there has been a need to combine both sets of forums so that when someone buys a package that contains both Photoshop and Dreamweaver, for instance, they don't have to go to completely different forums for information and support.

When the Macromedia forums were brought into the Adobe fold, the logins were turned into Adobe accounts, but the old Adobe forums were still stand-alone, the logins were not being associated to anything other then the forum.

What they are doing now, mostly behind the scenes, is linking Adobe side logins to Adobe accounts, hopefully matching individual posts from the same person on both the Adobe side and the Macromedia side posts to the same Adobe account.

What that letter is trying to do is to get people that have posts on the Adobe side to log in to link those posts to an Adobe account, hopefully, again, the same one they use as a login for the Macromedia side forums, if they have posts there as well.

People that only have posts on the Macromedia side should be ok since those are already associated.

Hope that helps explain the why behind the what, and makes sense.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 19, 2009 0