• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Still no supervision in the French and Spanish forums?

LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2005 Aug 06, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot that threads are extremely short lived in this forum, and the discussion that really began within an unrelated thread, here

Pierre Courtejoie, "Shouldn't these links be removed as soon as possible?" #8, 27 Feb 2005 1:21 pm

has already gone to the Archives, where it is in danger of going to the limbus in the near future.

I still think that this is an important issue, and still wait to see any improvement in those forums showing that the messages by Pierre and myself on the subject have not fallen in a void. Although we both value and thank Neil Keller for his attempts to get some reaction in higher quarters, his attempts have unfortunately been a failure.

It is pathetic to see pages in the forums in Spanish with templates that are written in a mixture of English and a very bad Spanish. It is even more pathetic that JC stopped more than a year ago feeling authorized to introduce any non trivial change to improve this situation. The worst part is however to feel that there is no one listening, or at least willing to admit that there might be problems in those forums.

I feel very disappointed.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 460 Replies 460
Advocate ,
Sep 17, 2005 Sep 17, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe we need a Spanish- and French-speaking German to sort things out ;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then none of them would be able to get a lounger by the side of the pool :(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd think they would forego that for some order being restored ;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to a campsite once with people from all over Europe, there were big signs by the pool in several languages - unattended towels will be confiscated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath and Nigel,

You bring a welcome breath of joviality into a deadly serious thread. I appreciate it, because it makes me feel not so low. You remind me that there are in life more important things that a couple of completely unattended forums. Perhaps I should devote more time to those things and not waste any more in something which has looked from the beginning as a lost battle and a lost war. JC was the first one to try, more than a year ago, and he also got and gets "no answer".

On the other hand, I have my doubts about how valuable your contributions are to our cause. Maybe you are just giving "them" (whomever they are) an excuse to continue evading the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Perhaps I should devote more time to those things[.]

Gee, you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guy,

Thank you for your support to our cause. Brief, precise, and to the point. I'm sure that now "they" will not be able to continue evading the issue.

Don't you feel like learning some Spanish or French to be able to post in a forum where the only control is that of a handful of fellow users with no power to censor, ban, make read only, or delete threads? You probably wouldn't mind its cluttered main page, its strange mixture of languages in many of its pages, the far from perfect Spanish of others, the missing buttons, and other such trivia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the Spanish forums are no good, then don't use them. You act as if
they are some sort of essential service like running water and
electricity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They probably are -or nearly- for the fairly large number of Spanish speaking users of Adobe products who don't know any English. As those forums are now, it would be exagerating to say they are no good, but they are certainly in much need of many improvements. This is probably one of the causes of the still low although steadily increasing number of visitors. You may not understand this, but there are some of us who think that stopping to use them is not a solution, but trying to help in improving them is. For this, we don't need the kind of help you are giving.

If Adobe eliminated their forums in English, certainly it wouldn't be as if they were cutting off water or electricity. But I'm sure there would be quite a few English speaking users of their products who would feel it was nearly as bad.

By the way, I don't need to use the forums in Spanish; I get all the help I require in their English version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2005 Sep 18, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Claudio summarized the situation perfectly. He and I are lucky to know English well enough so that we can get all the help we want in the English speaking forums.

Halas, there are a lot of Spanish and French speaking users out there that do not speak another language than theirs (I'm sure that a lot of Americans can relate 😉 ). Don't they deserve the same service everyone gets in the "regular" forums?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2005 Sep 18, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Don't they deserve the same service everyone gets in the "regular"
> forums?

All of these forums exist at Adobe's whim. No one "deserves" any of it.
If you want a forum built around the "public utility" model, try
Usenet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2005 Sep 19, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a bit harsh. Adobe have created forums for use but without supervision. You only have to look at the mud-slinging that occasionally goes on in the lower depths of the English-speaking forums to realise that this is a recipe for disaster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guy, I prefer to read you when you make contructive posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Nigel, for thinking about the situation before throwing such advice as "don't use the forums" or "create your own". The lack of supervision is just one of the aspects I habe been asking to be improved.

As far as I can remember been told by people in the know nearly two years ago, the forums in Spanish were created as a service for a small group of Spanish speaking users in some Central American country. When I discovered them almost by chance, I found a site with very bad translations of the original English text in some places, and no translations at all in others, and that was hardly used at all because it was not known or publicized. When trying to find what could be done to improve the site, I was offered the chance of collaborating with the person in charge.

After trying to get in touch with that person for a couple of months (I never did), it turned out that that person wasn't really in charge, that he didn't know or use Adobe products, that he was an extremely busy man in his country, and had only offered to collaborate in this as a personal favour to someone with some influence here, but wasn't really interested in the matter.

I then turned to JC, who had also offered to help in improving the forums in Spanish. His response was very efficient as usual, and we slowly but steadily introduced important changes in the site, which make it much more easier to use now than when I discovered it. Apparently, when the site improved, Adobe Spain began publicising it on its site, and the number of visitors began to increase considerably.

I understand that in the meantime the French and German forums were created, both in a much better shape that the original Spanish one I knew. I also understand that in middle 2004, some still undisclosed European branch of Adobe took at least the French and Spanish forums officially in charge -just by looking at the main page of the German ones, I would guess they were luckier. Everything was stopped then; no more changes. I had just sent JC a proposition for a new, less cluttered, more rational entry page that included a link to instructions for newcomers, that he sent to the new authorities. I understand that even him doesn't know if my proposition has been read.

It is true that in these many months, JC and I have introduced some very minor changes here and there, but his hands are tied and we can do no more than that. Frome some things JC has told me, I understand that at least some pages in the Spanish forums use very old templates, which would explain the lack of some functionalities that are present in all the other forums. For example, there is no "Subscribe to this discussion by email" button at the bottom of the new message box.

So what am I asking for? First of all, I am not asking for any "right"; I think that Pierre's phrase there was unfortunate, as it gave people who don't try to understand the problem, who have nothing constructive to offer, and that in my opinion should take their witty remarks elsewhere, a chance to continue ridiculizing a situation that obviously doesn't affect them and doesn't even interest them.

Perhaps I could sumarize my requests like this. If that unnamed Adobe branch doesn't have the funds, the will, or the intention of doing something to improve the forums in Spanish, why not just leave JC, with the aid of people like me, to at least make the site functional, and have all the pages written in proper Spanish?

In my opinion, doing nothing in fourteen months, preventing anything to be done, and simply ignoring the free help that is been offered is not a wise course of action. Plus, of course,

>Adobe have created forums for use but without supervision. You only have to look at the mud-slinging that occasionally goes on in the lower depths of the English-speaking forums to realise that this is a recipe for disaster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would think that the best possible thing that could happen would be to find someone that spends time in the spanish forums that has an appropriate temperment that the host team would consider to be a good candidate for joining the team. Until and unless someone is in there with host rights, not much will happen. I've made my efforts in the past, and gave up any desire to help out due to some difficult temperments in people I was trying to work with. For better or for worse, that's where I'm at with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if someone has been looking for such person. Fourteen months is a somewhat long period of time for nor much to happen.

Couldn't we have all the forum pages written in proper Spanish in the meantime?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the unfortunate term, I must have been thinking in French ;)

Ditto for the French forums, Dorothy?

I'd be glad to continue what I started with JC (translating the "how to get help" page) by translating some FAQ's but there are a lot of posts in the wrong place. Also, I think that it is time to have product forums, so that we do not have to ask "what program are you using" on each message...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 21, 2005 Sep 21, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning,

If I may add my opinion here, I think that offering a forum in some language to let it die slowly because of sheer lack of atention and care is not doing a service to anybody.

In fact, I think that is like a restaurant service: No client is forced to enter, but no restaurant is forced to open either if people at charge is not ready to serve proper meals.

Fortunately there are many forums out there in Spanish (and I guess in French) too that can serve 'proper' threads and information. Some of them are good and some are pretty bad. But what annoys (astonishes, perhaps?) me is that a big firm like Adobe finds useful enough to open two sets of forums only to let them die of lack of maintenance.

And by the number of people that speak both languages plus English, you'd not think that finding people to patrol them would be difficult, would you?

But I am afraid this seems to be one of those corporate black holes: Nothing comes out ;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 22, 2005 Sep 22, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>understand what I was trying to say, and didn't for the sake of brevity.

I did claudio, as would most of the lounge regulars, i think... but statements like that make those who aren't familiar with the lounge think it's nothing more than a den of acrimony. I did understand where you were coming from and no offense was taken by me.

cheers and good luck getting a permanant mod in your forum,
dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2005 Sep 23, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Gustavo and Dave!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2005 Oct 23, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my monthly update of this topic; I have no intention to let it die.

The forums in Spanish still have many pages in English, or in a mixture of English and bad Spanish. For reasons that should be crystal clear by now to anyone who has followed this thread, I feel reluctant to spend time in producing decent translations of anything longer than a few words. What is worse, JC also seems reluctant to spend much time in changing large bits of text, also for (at least to me) obvious reasons. He has cooperated very willingly and efficiently in resolving functional problems, such as the impossibility of some users (myself included) to add new topics in the Spanish forums. But that would be all.

I have my doubts that we really need a person "that has an appropriate temperment that the host team would consider to be a good candidate for joining the team" (a double personality screening: one for becoming a candidate, and another to become a member?), just for ensuring that all pages of the Spanish forums are written in proper Spanish and are fully functional. We did manage to get a small part of this job done before the takeover, and as the whole "team" was just JC and me, there were no personality conflicts; on the contrary. Of course, continuing this task would not only require permission from a still undisclosed authority, but also to trust my knowledge of the English and Spanish languages, and of the structures of the forums in English and Spanish. Which would seem to be considered an unacceptable risk at some higher quarters.

As for the need of hosts/moderators, I would tend to agree that the double personality screening could be necessary to nominate them. Which unfortunately would seem to leave out all of the most active participants, for they are either too young and unexperienced, or too old to try to act as yes men. Fortunately, excepting the dog fight I mentioned in a previous message, self regulation has been functioning surprisingly well; more often than not, a polite message asking for sanity (from the older), or a not very saintly joke (from the younger) has been enough to restore peace.

I know that if I mentioned the L***ge, I would get a lot of replies, most of them sympathetic. However, there is one case of someone who doesn't understand and doesn't care about the problem, but feels compelled to post nasty remarks which for the author may seem witty, and I somehow feel we don't really need such "help".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 25, 2005 Oct 25, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

At this point I don't see a lack-of-supervision issue at all but a massive lack-of-participation problem.

Contrary to what a lot of people assume, native Spanish speakers on this planet easily outnumber native English speakers*. It's only when you add speakers of the language as a second or foreign language that the numbers are comparable, though still with a slight edge to the Spanish speakers.

When you think in terms of market penetration, however, I don't think the Spanish-speaking markets are as significant to Adobe. The relative little interest demonstrated in the Spanish forums reflect that.

Sure, Spanish is indeed the third most spoken language in the world, after Mandarin and Hindi; but given the absence of an Adobe forum in either one of the first two languages (at least to my knowledge), I don't think we should be expecting more at this time.

-----

* For sources on the above figures refer to the World bank, the Ethnologue and the World Almanac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2005 Oct 26, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón, I know you didn't post all that data for me, and it's good that you have posted it. I also know that the problem not only involves Adobe. Just to cite one example: from the appearance of the first Apple portable models, almost every portable sold by Apple in this country has come with an English keyboard, and most also with an OS in English.

However, I am only in a small campaign to try to get the Spanish forums to be fully written in proper Spanish, and perhaps also supervised by a couple of hosts/moderators -which experience has shown not to be all that necessary, perhaps because we are still too few. This is why I have tried to avoid contaminating the discussions here with other issues. I am willing to try to get something out of Adobe almost singlehanded, but trying to change industry wide attitudes is a bit too much for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mods are not only needed to calm down discussions, moving topics to the relevant location is useful too. There is not that much participation because those forums are new. There are way bigger participation in existing "French-speaking" forums (that are properly managed, advertized, etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Pierre, it is a truly vicious circle: we are too few because the forums are not properly attended, and they are not properly attended because we are too few. That's why I have concentrated on something I know I can do if there was interest: make the Spanish ones at least decently written and presented. I also try to encourage attendance to the forums by striving to be particularly gentle and helpful for the newcomers who post in the wrong forum or in existing threads.

I think Adobe Spain should publicize the Spanish forums, but on its site I can only find a rather hidden link to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines