Why not a flex-width forum?

Engaged ,
Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see it is easily possible--just look at Jive's forum!

Some major issue I see with the 700px or so size you're currently using.
* Code blocks are practically useless for indented code.
* Put it into threaded mode and have a good laugh at the 250px wide stuff columns by the time you get down to a 4th reply.
* You're already losing 240px to the annoying "Actions" right-hand column. People with theater-proportion screens could at least ameliorate this issue slightly.
* I believe you're using a large font than they are the Jive site, so your content already flows longer.
* It's frustrating to see 300-400px of dead space that I could really be using just sitting to the right of the forum.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Why not a flex-width forum?

Engaged ,
Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see it is easily possible--just look at Jive's forum!

Some major issue I see with the 700px or so size you're currently using.
* Code blocks are practically useless for indented code.
* Put it into threaded mode and have a good laugh at the 250px wide stuff columns by the time you get down to a 4th reply.
* You're already losing 240px to the annoying "Actions" right-hand column. People with theater-proportion screens could at least ameliorate this issue slightly.
* I believe you're using a large font than they are the Jive site, so your content already flows longer.
* It's frustrating to see 300-400px of dead space that I could really be using just sitting to the right of the forum.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 18, 2009 0
Engaged ,
Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

^ Whoops, wrong account. Meant to post from this one!

Also, the forum width is 970 not 700... not sure WTH I was thinking there...

But still, even this elderly Sony G520 CRT I'm typing on supports 1280 width, so that's 310 more px I could be seeing in the middle.

Also, cross-reference this excellent post by Bob Peters about screen size in the new forums.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 18, 2009 0
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Put it into threaded mode and have a good laugh at the 250px wide stuff columns by the time you get down to a 4th reply.

Threaded view is only viable for short threads - I think people will have problems if they leave that as their default. If you bring up a thread with hundreds or even thousands of posts, you have to wait quite a while for it to display the lot - then you have to scroll...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 18, 2009 0
Enthusiast ,
Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>. If you bring up a thread with hundreds or even thousands of posts, you have to wait quite a while for it to display the lot - then you have to scroll...

maybe i missed it in preferneces, but it looked to me like you have to keep clicking "next page" "next page" "next page" to keep reading. it must be me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 18, 2009 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flex-width even for messages without code, or flat view:
b yes.
(In case it gets lost where I noted it here: pbear, "My top ten criteria for the new forums" #121, 18 Mar 2009 9:27 am )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 18, 2009 0
Engaged ,
Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Threaded view is only viable for short threads - I think people will have problems if they leave that as their default. If you bring up a thread with hundreds or even thousands of posts, you have to wait quite a while for it to display the lot - then you have to scroll...

Well, KathH's "OK the big one" thread is only 3 pages long (easily viewable in thread view imho) and it gets 10 replies deep (wow, I didn't realize they had gotten that deep that fast!).

Just to note also that I wrote a long response in Bob's thread about why I don't think 550 is a readable width in a forum environment (or 300 wide by the time you get to the 10th reply or so).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 18, 2009 0