• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Implications of adding a 2nd SSD drive

Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only Adobe software I have installed currently, is Premier Pro. However, I'm seriously considering upgrading to Adobe Cloud because I'd like: After Effects, Audition, Photoshop and Illustrator, and so obviously the cloud works out to be excellent value.

However, my HP Omen gaming desktop which is about 4 years, although still quite substantial in terms of processing power, only has 250GB SSD. Recently I've been struggling, fighting with my last 5 to 20GB trying to save space, but I've reached the limit of what I can uninstall, and as I unsterstand it, all my other main applications are better off left on my existing SSD drive (instead of moving some of them to my hard drive), which is of course my PC's primary drive.

Therefore, my question is: can I simply add a 2nd SSD for installing the additional 4 x Adobe products that I've stated? The reason I'm asking is that I don't know if there are any technical differences between a PC's primary SSD, and a 2nd, added SSD. For example... I'm wondering along the lines of shared adobe files perhaps residing at a common location on the primary SSD drive, such that it might cause problems for additional adobe products that I install on a 2nd SSD, although I have no idea to be honest; that's just my pure speculation, and hopefully it's wrong!

Any advice will be much appreciated 👍

Thank you, Gary.  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

@Gary5E16 wrote:

Therefore, my question is: can I simply add a 2nd SSD for installing the additional 4 x Adobe products that I've stated? The reason I'm asking is that I don't know if there are any technical differences between a PC's primary SSD, and a 2nd, added SSD. For example... I'm wondering along the lines of shared adobe files perhaps residing at a common location on the primary SSD drive, such that it might cause problems for additional adobe products that I install on a 2nd SSD, althou

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may need a more powerful computer for Premiere Pro and After Effects.

See here:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-143/Hardware-...

and here:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-After-Effects-144/Hardware-Re...

What are the complete computer specs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm already using Premier Pro, and it is running very well. Here's my PC specs...

My PC Hardware Specs.jpg

My PC Hardware Specs 2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Therefore, my question is: can I simply add a 2nd SSD for installing the additional 4 x Adobe products that I've stated?

By @Gary5E16

It would be better to install a larger, fast SSD and keep the other SSD for exports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK... But my concearn as I described is with respect to the technical implications relating to my primary SSD drive being the drive that, for example, has Windows 11 installed on it. So, if I just purchase a larger, fast SSD, what does that mean for my current Windows installation?

Also, my PC already has a 2TB D drive which I use to store the bulk of all my photos, videos, etc.

Please if anyone has some technical insight, can you advise me, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to install Windows 11 on the new hard drive.

Is it an upgrade from Windows 10 or was it a new installation with a license key?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An upgrade from Windows 10, although I don't fancy doing that. Thanks for the advice, though Gary5E16_0-1646065821651.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Video Hardware forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a look. I think I'll just get a new PC and let my missus have mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you get a new PC that is great but if you end up keeping this computer it would be wise to get one 512GB M.2 SSD for the OS and programs. You can then get addition internal or external storage for content 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Gary5E16 wrote:

Therefore, my question is: can I simply add a 2nd SSD for installing the additional 4 x Adobe products that I've stated? The reason I'm asking is that I don't know if there are any technical differences between a PC's primary SSD, and a 2nd, added SSD. For example... I'm wondering along the lines of shared adobe files perhaps residing at a common location on the primary SSD drive, such that it might cause problems for additional adobe products that I install on a 2nd SSD, although I have no idea to be honest; that's just my pure speculation, and hopefully it's wrong! 

Yes, there are some technical implications. The Creative Cloud desktop app does let you change the default folder for installing applications, but that only takes care of the program files. As you said, files that those applications normally install in the user account folder still get installed there, and files normally installed in system directories still get installed there, so those locations, which default to the system volume, are not changed when you put the applications on another volume.

In addition, because you’re asking about Premiere Pro and After Effects, those maintain a Media Cache and other performance-related storage preferences that default to the system volume. For top performance, ideally the volume containing the Media Cache should have several hundred GB available. If you don’t change the location of those folders (in Preferences), as you use those two applications the potentially large Media Cache still grows on your system volume unless you have connected another large, fast SSD to put them on. Photoshop also wants to create a scratch temp file that defaults to the system volume, but again you can redirect it to an external volume. If you are down to your “last 5 to 20GB trying to save space,” you might find a way to install just the applications, but having no free space and no other volume with enough free space will cause serious performance problems, and possibly crashes.

One best practice is to make sure your system volume has enough free space for everything that needs to be on it plus maybe 100+GB of unused space at all times (I like 200GB unused space even more), and if using video editing and image editing applications, also connect a second large, fast SSD for all of the large cache/temp files in the previous paragraph. Or just one very large, fast system SSD with several hundred GB free to provide room for all of the above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Outstanding advice, it really is, so thank you very much indeed.

It looks like I've now just got permission from my missus to get a new PC with an i9, RTX 3080 Ti, and 2TB of SSD, but then not anything else until next year... not even anything for Christmas.

Gary5E16_0-1646242648089.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've pretty much decided on the following setup (from Chillblast – PC Manufacturer in the UK) which I'll be ordering in the next few days...

1. i9-12900K CPU, 16 Cores
  2. 128gb DDR4 3200MHz Ram
  3. RTX 3080 Ti Graphics card
  4. 2TB Firecuda 530 M.2 Gen 4 Primary SSD
  5. 2TB Samsung 870 QVO for General SSD

I've been using After Effects for the last several days via my existing PC (for specs, see screenshots in the 2nd post), and although it's working perfectly fine, it's extremely slow when playing/calculating the preview. I've freed-up about 20GB of my SSD, but when checking in Task Manager I can see that it's indicating that the CPU and Ram are the problem... especially the Ram being only 16GB which is maxed out pretty much constantly during calculating the preview.

Quote from here: Hardware recommendations for Premiere Pro and After Effects

Upgrading your system

Adding memory is the easiest and usually most impactful place to start if you want to upgrade your system to improve performance for both Premiere Pro and After Effects.

Upgrade Premiere Pro system in this order of priority:

1. Add more RAM – up to 128GB if the motherboard supports it (especially for long-form content) 
  2. A faster GPU – or additional GPUs for faster export and rendering with Premiere Pro
  3. For storage: Faster (or additional) SSD or NVMe drives
  4. CPU with a faster clock speed

Upgrade your system for After Effects 22.0 or later in this order of priority:

1. A CPU with 32 cores will maximize the advantages of Multi-Frame Rendering.
  2. Add more RAM – 128GB or more, depending on the use case.
  3. Add faster SSD or NVMe drives or faster connection for shared storage.
  4. Faster GPU with more than 8GB of VRAM.

Cheers! Gary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention... my existing PC's motherboard only supports up to 32GB Ram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is a very good system. I wish I had it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines