• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro using Integrated and not Dedicated Graphics Card

Participant ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, I have a quick, but important question about Premiere Pro CC 2018. It seems that Premiere Pro is using my integrated graphics on my CPU rather than using my installed and working dedicated graphics card to render GPU accelerated effects and such. I am running a fresh install of Windows 10 with the latest updates. I also have a fully updated Creative Suite. Below I have listed my system specs and screenshots for reference to the issue. Notice that under GPU Engine in Task Manager, it lists GPU 0, my integrated graphics. I have also done some research of my own, and I have come across adding the "cuda_supported_cards.txt" into Premiere Pro's installation directory. I have done that, and I have tried both typing "GeForce GTX 1060" and "GeForce GTX 1060 6GB" into the document, but its the same story for both cases: it uses my integrated graphics. The file currently lists "GeForce GTX 1060".

Thank for any and all help,

Ryan

System:

7th Gen Intel i7-7700K Processor (No current overclock)

nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

256GB M.2 SSD

2TB 7200 RPM HDD

16GB of 2400MHz DDR4 Memory

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Screenshots (Idle, Premiere Pro loaded and open, not rendering):

idle.PNG

idle 2.PNG

Screenshots (Premiere running, Rendering previews for a project of mine):

render.PNG

render 2.PNG

render 3.PNG

render 4.PNG

render 5.PNG

Text Document:

cuda.PNG

cuda 2.PNG

[Moderator note: moved to best forum for technical issues.]

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

We created a video on how to optimize your GPU for Adobe apps here! Take it with a grain of salt, if you have an Intel GPU using QuickSync, you're best off using that GPU for H.264 and HEVC (H.265). 

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 161 Replies 161
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2018 Aug 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding to this thread from perhaps another angle...

System:

Win 10

i7 3.4 Ghz quad core
16GB RAM1TB SSD

NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB

I just recently upgraded the GPU from a GTX 750 because rendering a 30 minute episode was taking between 6-7 hours.

As I began to render some clips, I also notice that the GPU was running at 1% while CPU was pegged between 93-96%. I've checked all the software and file settings listed above. System is only recognizing the 1060 card, but PP 2018 is simply not using it.

The main effect which seems to be slowing things down in Neat Video's DeNoiser... anyone else have experience with that? Is it something that only makes use of CPU and RAM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 11, 2018 Aug 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do an export of a clip with a lot of Lumetri controls bumped ... just move a bunch of things, then export the clip for testing ... does your GPU use jump up?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really. I'm rendering a clip that's roughly 50% red bar and 50% yellow bar on the timeline... but it's rendering as I type this, and the CPU is at 100%, RAM utilization at 54%, and the GTX 1060 is at 1%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it uses a goodly amount of Lumetri?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following up here as this seems to be a reoccurring issue for many like myself.

Specs:

• MSI 299 M7 ACK
  • 2x (16GB) DDR 2700 RAM
  • 2x M. SSD 500GB
  • Nvidia GTX 1080 EVGA
  • Windows 10 Home

Adobe Premiere/After Effects CC

Tried everything above minus the registry idea. Nothing works. When rendering I notice 20% to CPU, 50% to Memory and 1% to GPU. I have all cuda premiere/encoder settings set for GPU and yet nothing. Crazy that this has not been fixed and I see it all over the internet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, are you working with effects off the GPU Accelerated Effects list?

If yes, you should get GPU activity while is is processing those specific effects, as the CPU calls for it.

If not, you will not get much if any GPU activity ... period.

GPU Accelerated Effects: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/effects.html

You're most welcome to go to the UserVoice system and request more things get added to GPU processing ...

Adobe Bug /Feature service: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

When going through this and other forums, I do see a lot of comments from folks on such things, most of whom have no clue how this is designed to work. Some do. Like all the kerfluffle over "software only" showing in the Summary section of the export dialog ... thinking this means their GPU is turned off. Which is totally bogus. That ONLY refers to whether or not the CPU has the new Intel hardware encoding chip inside for H.264 encoding ... and has nothing whatever to do with your settings for GPU use within PrPro. Easily proved actually. And I've worked with people who absolutely insisted it was turning off their GPU ... AND ... absolutely refused to do the quick test to show GPU usage is on/off.

At that point, ignorance and silliness are simply past helping. Especially when there are real things that do need fixing. Or, for many of us, added to that GPU Accelerated Effects list.

So ... with say Lumetri and Warp on a clip ... is the GPU still not being used on your exports?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I'm having the same problem on a laptop...

Dell G7 with 1060 GTX 6gb w/ Max-Q Design and of course a built-in Intel UHD Graphis 630

1TB Samsung NVMe 970 Evo

6 core i-8750h processor

16GB ram

In premiere Pro CC 2018 the project settings are set to use the Mercury Playback... CUDA engine.

I throw a clip in the timeline and drop WARP stabalizer on it... the CPU hits 40-50%, ram maxes out, and the Intel 630 starts getting used heavily.

The GTX1060 sits there idle.

If i scrub or play the timeline with WARP effect, the Intel GPU hits 80% and the 1060 goes to 7% at most.

If i drop a 4k video, same exact percentage of load with the Intel / GTX1060.

Warp processing on the 4k video uses only the Intel 630 and CPU / Memory.

I've set the Nvidia control panel to specifically use the Nvidia Processor for the programs: Premiere, After effects, and Media Encoder.

I've run the gpudetect from each folder, all programs closed, (run as) Administrator

I've set the two Registry strings to 1 ( ....Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors\..... intelopencl32.dll  DWORD )

If i disable the onboard Intel 630, i can't reach the Nvidia control panel ("no monitor is connected")

If i disable the onboard Intel 630 while Premiere is applying the Warp effect on a 4k clip (takes some time), the GTX1060 continues to sit at 0% usage... if I then enable the Intel 630 (still running the Warp effect), i see both GPU's and both sit at 0%.  The CPU runs the same the entire time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PrPro clearly chooses to use the "dominant" GPU on a system and if the OS sees an on-board chip as the primary that's what PrPro will use.

This is a separate issue from the oft-mentioned one in the Summary box of the export dialog.

And a very annoying one.

I urge you to go to the UserVoice system linked from the Overview page of this forum and search for suggestions to either use the most capable GPU or allow the user to set which GPU is used.

If you don't find one, suggest it.

Then post a link back here to it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to post this link here again:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/34190128-p-pro-not-using-co...

PLEASE vote and giver your feedback - Adobe STILL have not done anything to fix this issue and it is absolutely appalling to see such a prolific bug that can literally stop full time editor's from doing their job, when you pay for a subscription like this you should expect much better than this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having just the same issue.

Core i7 8700

GTX 1050 TI

16 GB RAM

Premiere just doesn't use dedicated graphics. I've tried all methods listed in this thread and others. It doesn't depend on whether there are effects/lumetri etc. applied or during playback/render - usage of dedicated graphics is 10% maximum (often 2%). CUDA is turned on in project settings. Turning off integrated graphis in BIOS doesn't help.

Want to try new version of Premiere (12.1.2), seems like there are some hardware acceleration improvements.

UPDATE. No changes in new version.

By the way, when I turn off integrated graphics in Device Manager, the "Hardware acceleration" option disappears from export settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hardware acceleration in- the Export summary box refers to the CPU not the use of GPU. For specific newer CPUs. If that line is what you're referring to.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm from China. My English is very poor. I use machine translation for this passage. I hope it doesn't distort my meaning.

I am a college student. I am using a notebook computer with the brand " hasee" for video creation, but I have the same problem as you. when using Premiere pro for video rendering, CPU usage does not reach more than 70 %, while GPU 0 HD graphics 630 is nearly 100 %, GPU 1 NVIDIA geforce GTX 1050 ti is hardly used.

The following is my laptop configuration:

Operating System: Windows 10 Professional Edition 64 - bit

Processor: Intel Core i7 - 7700 HQ

Memory: 16 GB

Main Hard Drive: Intel SSDPEKKW 25121 C ( 256 GB / SSD )

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti ( 4 GB / Blue Sky ( CLEVO ) )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nipgeihou

Your translation did not distort your meaning. You have a very similar setup to my own, except that I am on a desktop computer. The issue you are experiencing is the same that everyone else had been experiencing in this thread. However, I do not have a solution for you. The best I can say is to vote on this issue at the link below.

P. Pro not using correct graphics card

Kindest regards,

Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please look higher in this thread. There's a link in a reply up near the top for a UserVoice suggestion on getting PrPro to either properly see the appropriate GPU or give the user a setting for which GPU to use.

I would suggest adding your vote for that UserVoice request.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those of you who have this particular problem:

Check the renderer setting in the Project settings. The integrated Intel IGP does not support CUDA at all - only OpenCL. But Adobe has permanently disabled OpenCL support for Nvidia GPUs in all Windows versions of Premiere Pro that have been released to date due to the historically poor performance in OpenCL, especially Kepler and earlier generation GPUs. As a result, "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (OpenCL)" is always the default renderer selection, which means that only the integrated Intel graphics will be used for MPE GPU acceleration.

To solve this, you MUST manually change the renderer in the project settings to "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA)" every time you open a new project. That will be inconvenient, but there's no other feasible solution right now.

Randall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I was building a new project in Premiere Pro, I was displaying " Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration" ( CUDA ). However, when I was viewing the usage of CPU, GPU 0 and GPU 1 through Windows' Task Manager, I found that the CPU was not full, GPU 0 ( HD Graphics 630 ) was full, and GPU 1 ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti ) was almost always at 0 %. I am not sure whether this is normal because my laptop monitor was output through HD Graphics 630 and cannot block HD Graphics.

NipGeihou

( English level is very poor. The above words are translated by machine. I hope there are no translation errors. )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always used Mercury Playback Engine and my Intel GPU is still doing the heavy lifting on my Dell G7 laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and

Randal, you're just going round in circles. What you are describing above is not the fix for the majority of users as this issue is continuing to happen despite having the correct settings applied.

If you view the user voice this particular issues effects laptops with both an onboard dedicated graphics card - Premier pro uses Cuda but on the integrated graphics card which is the main issue here, only users that can disable their onboard graphics card can fix this but even then that is not the correct fix as many builds automatically switch between the two cards to only use the dedicated for things like games and editing thus save battery.

The only fix here is for Adobe to actually get up and do something out it because other software does not have this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry for not being clear about this, but in this case OpenCL acceleration cannot be disabled at all in the program when both GPUs are enabled simultaneously. It's that the OpenCL support is disabled for Nvidia GPUs. And because the OpenCL renderer is always enabled even when in CUDA mode, the weaker of the two GPUs actually take precedence - and in these cases, the GTX 1050+ is so much more powerful than any laptop's integrated Intel graphics, so it is no surprise at all whatsoever that the integrated Intel graphics sees 100% utilization while these newer discrete GPUs see barely any utilization.

Likewise, a Kaby Lake i7 desktop PC from Dell that's equipped with a stock GeForce GT 730 2GB DDR3 card and an always-enabled integrated Intel graphics would have shown relatively high utilization on the GT 730 but relatively low utilization on the integrated graphics because in this case the GT 730 is actually weaker than the integrated graphics.

Again, I'm sorry that I misled some users.

Randall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was about to update to a 1080 video card when this forum caught my attention.  I have an old system and card, and multi-cam editing of any significance becomes impossible.

My Specs:

Processor: Intel, Core, i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz  4.00 GHz

RAM: 32 GB

System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows 10 Pro, Version 1803, installed 7/13/2018; OS build  17134.345

Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500G SSCI Disk

Video Card: NVIDIA Quadro K2000

Advice-help much appreciated.

Randall Martin (Not the same Randall!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rmartin215 ,

Personally, I would consider upgrading your GPU, but only to a 1050 or 1060 at max. If you went this route, I would wait for the RTX 2060s and 2050s are released as many will be selling their 1050s and 1060s, driving the price of the old cards down. I would not buy a second-hand GPU.

However, depending on your platform (which you said was outdated), I would consider upgrading your motherboard. A mobo upgrade may give you the additional functionality that you may end up using. Also, depending on the generation and speed of your RAM, I would consider that route as well. I have heard that an upgrade from something like  DDR3 @ 1400 mhz to DDR4 @ 2400 mhz can yield a noticeable responsiveness boost.

Otherwise, your boot drive is an SSD and you have a 4C/8T processor, so you are in pretty good shape. If multi-cam editing is really a system and/or hardware bottleneck and not something software, you still may want to upgrade your mobo and CPU. In this case, you may want to look into what AMD has to offer (as long as you are not a frequent gamer, Intel still controls the market on single threaded performance) to have more cores at (possibly, depends on how much you want to spend) a high base clock.

Hope this helps! All the ideas I had, and definitely stuff to think about.

Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be careful with memory upgrades: The CPU platform dictates which memory to use. DDR3 RAM and DDR4 RAM are completely incompatible with one another. And that Haswell CPU in LGA 1150 does not support DDR4 RAM at all.

And the latest version of Premiere Pro CC (2019) now no longer supports any CPU platform older than Intel Skylake. 2018.1.2 is the most recent version that supports such a legacy CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not an issue at all. Adobe added support for the Integrated Graphics to speed up renders as it uses the IGP and GPU at the same time. Here is a video to explain.

Re: HardwareCanucks - $350 vs. $2000 CPU Adobe Premiere Benchmark - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graphics Card problems?

I'm confused; some seem to say that premiere 2018 is not using the card appropriately; others say not an issue.

Is it or isn't it a problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a problem on most desktops or some laptops. Some laptops, it is a problem.

I don't know yet how the new 13.x builds do with working with on-board/separate GPU's on laptops.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines