• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat (Reader) crashes when opening menu items

Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat crashes whenever I open a menu item. Cannot print, view preferences, Generate system report, etc. It will let me select and run the Repair Installation but it does not resolve the issue.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. I've ran AdobeAcroCleaner_DC2021.exe and WiseCare365_5.8.4.578 after uninstalling and before reinstalling Acrobat.

For readability, I attached a text file with everything I think I tried. The screen show shows Acrobat's version.

[Post moved to the Reader forum, and title edited to reflect the actual application name. -Mod.]

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Success!!! Went to ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/ and installed an older version. Not sure why none of the experts on the Adobe Support Community or at AdobeIncCare@outlook.com are bright enough to make that suggestion. This issue is now resolved for me (but probably not for Adobe since there are probably problems with the newer version running on the latest Windows platform).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described the application is crashing when you try to open the menu items and you have tried most of the troubleshooting steps with no luck.

Please try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described in the help page https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-default/td-p/4792... and see if that works

You may also try to create a new test user profile with full admin right in Windows and try using the application there and check.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the path, "C:\Users\<different users>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\DC" I do not see a folder named Preferences. I have also tried Acrobat in another user's Admin account and another that is a standard account. In both of those accounts, they also do not show a Preferences folder. In the standard account, there is nothing in the DC folder but in the admin account where I installed Acrobat I have several files and folders (see Acrobat folders.jpg).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that. clik on the Windows file explorer and in the address bar on top type or copy paste the address (C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\DC)
Note: In place of user name type your name as it appear on your system.

Please check the screenshot below:

Untitled.png

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The attached is what my directory has in it. It is missing the pref's directory and a few others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is Acrobat Reader, not Acrobat... A small, but very important, difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was not aware of the difference. Now I'm curious if the error messages the same for both. I originally posted a lot of info listing the application name (AcroRd32.exe) and the error from the event log.

Faulting application name: AcroRd32.exe, version: 21.5.20060.50737, time stamp: 0x60fbae33
Faulting module name: Msftedit.dll, version: 10.0.19041.789, time stamp: 0x5bb532b5
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0009d3f2
Faulting process id: 0x1c94
Faulting application start time: 0x01d79a9e67c82442
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Msftedit.dll
Report Id: f5e6dd47-4d06-4a90-8102-3d8362a08bf0
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

- System
- Provider
[ Name] Application Error
- EventID 1000
[ Qualifiers] 0
Version 0
Level 2
Task 100
Opcode 0
Keywords 0x80000000000000
- TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2021-08-26T16:35:20.9817500Z
EventRecordID 25970
Correlation
- Execution
[ ProcessID] 0
[ ThreadID] 0
Channel Application
Computer MySystem
Security

EventData
AcroRd32.exe
60fbae33
Msftedit.dll
5bb532b5
c0000005
0009d3f2
1c94
01d79a9e67c82442
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Msftedit.dll
f5e6dd47-4d06-4a90-8102-3d8362a08bf0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a different area I should post this issue since it's for Acrobat Reader and not Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is (https://community.adobe.com/t5/Acrobat-Reader/bd-p/acrobat-reader), but don't double-post. I will move your post to that forum, instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much and I apologize for the newbie mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't worry about it. It happens to a lot of people, ever since Adobe decided to rename Reader as "Acrobat Reader"...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Success!!! Went to ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/ and installed an older version. Not sure why none of the experts on the Adobe Support Community or at AdobeIncCare@outlook.com are bright enough to make that suggestion. This issue is now resolved for me (but probably not for Adobe since there are probably problems with the newer version running on the latest Windows platform).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because those people are scammers, pretending to be from Adobe, not real Adobe employees!

I really hope you didn't give them access to your machine or any sensitive details, such as passwords or credit-card numbers. If you did, change them immediately and contact your bank!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I did not give anybody on the community site or elsewhere access to my computer. I figured the issue out on my own without any help from anybody. Sad to hear the Adobe community site is riddled with scammers. Thanks for the warning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, there are, yes. If you post their username we'll get them banned, but it's just a whack-a-mole game, as they keep creating new accounts and tricking people...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://community.adobe.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/20443946 is the person who messaged me and said to send an email to AdobeIncCare@outlook.com. The only info I sent AdobeIncCare@outlook.com is the same I posted in this thread. AdobeIncCare@outlook.com did not seem very professional. They asked me questions they could have easily found in the email I sent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good to hear, and I've reported that person. They will be banned shortly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You might also want to contact Adobe so they take ownership of AdobeIncCare@outlook.com. The simple fact it was used in this forum should be enough to show it is in violation of copyright laws. I'm sure Adobe has experience in this sort of thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines