• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Reader DC window on external monitor is too big

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The command bars, buttons and fonts are twice the size of those in Acrobat Pro, they take up too much space and restrict the amount of screen displaying the document -- how can I reduce to normal size (ie same as Acrobat Pro)? NB: this is not a 'zoom' issue! It must be due to Acrobat Reader not being able to automatically scale the window size for the larger monitor size. I am using Windows 10. BTW the same thing happens with Office 365 windows, but ONLY if File Explorer is set to preview documents in the Preview Pane, which currently it is not.

In the image below, the top window is Acrobat Pro, the bottom one is Acrobat Reader DC, in a single screenshot taken on the 1920 x 1080 pixel 24-inch external monitor.

Adobe_RDC_window_size_issue.png

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Hi,

We released an update that fixes scaling issues following tracks: Acrobat DC Continuous, Acrobat 2017, Acrobat Reader DC Continuous, and Acrobat Reader 2017. This update will be automatically applied to all Acrobat and Reader users in the coming days. You may also update to the latest release by opening the application and going to Help > Check for Updates.

For this fix to work you should ensure following:

a. Ensure "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by" is unchecked.

Ri

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least I thought it worked because the program looked normal on my second monitor, but now I'm seeing that it has also made the program very tiny and unreadable on my laptop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't work for me. The resolution on surface screen becomes tiny while on my second monitor it looks normal. This is the ONLY program with this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Acrobat XI Pro users:

Slight tweak to what NTConnections posted above:

1. Right-click shortcut on desktop and select Properties.

2. Select Override high DPI scaling behavior.

3. In the drop-down below this check box are three options: Application, System, System (Enhanced).

4. Select System.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem.  Dell XPS 15 laptop (3840 x 2160); Dell FHD monitor (1920 x 1080);  Acrobat Pro DC (v 2015.023.20070).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there still no answer to this?  I found this thread and expected by now there would either be a solution provided or some sort of update to the software to fix the problem.  I don't have this issue with any other program or app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found something that works for me.  I am running Windows 10 on a Surface Book with 2 external monitors connected to the Surface Dock.  Following along with some of the suggestions in the thread, I stumbled across this:

Right-click on Acrobat Reader DC icon.

Choose Properties

Select Compatibility tab

Check the box for "Override high DPI scaling behavior.  Scaling performed by:"

In the drop-down box, choose "System (Enhanced)"

Reopen Acrobat Reader DC

This works across all 3 screens for me with normal toolbar font sizes.  Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MikeM- Thank you, thank you thank you.  I could not get the "draw free form" to work on my surface. The odd thing was that draw free form worked on my extended HD screens. I spent 2 hours with Adobe Support yesterday and they finally told me it was a file issue (which is wasn't since it didn't work on multiple files.

Really appreciate your response. It saved me!

john

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Mike,

Just wanted to thank you for your fix.  Worked perfectly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked! Thaaank you!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked. thank goodness! it was driving me nuts

Thank you Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since different solutions seem to work for some and not for others, thought I’d post what (mostly) worked for me.  First, if you’re on a laptop & connected to a high-res monitor & having this problem, I’d suggest disconnecting from monitor & just using the laptop screen, so you can actually see everything.  Based on previous suggestions in this forum, in the Reader I went to Edit / Preferences / General, then by “Scale for screen resolution” I selected “No Scaling”.   I had tried that multiple times before, but when I restarted the reader the setting always switched back to “Auto-Detect.”  I finally figured out why – there’s an “OK” button at the bottom of the Preference box, and if you don’t click it, settings aren’t saved.  That’s pretty intuitive, but on my high-res monitor and with Adobe in big pre-school font mode before I made this change, the OK button just wasn’t visible.  No way to see it.  It only became visible when I switched to my laptop monitor.

(BTW… other option if you can’t see the OK button is to hit ENTER after making the change to No Scaling. That locks in the change, as well.)

Once I was able to click on the OK button, then things look good on my high-res monitor.  Some of the fonts in my menus are a little messed up now, and when I use the reader on my laptop everything is tiny… but it’s progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the external monitor you can't even scroll down to the OK button to confirm your changes!  Tried all the suggested options - shrinks the heck out of everything with the PC display but the external is still a balloon - I'll likely shift our company to a different supplier, as we just rolled out new PCs to everyone with this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the fix...

I use a 4K laptop Display scaled 150% and an external monitor at 1080P 100%

Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Right-Click Adobe Reader DC

Click Compatibility

Check the box next to "Override high DPI scaling behaviour. Select the dropdown and pick System (Enhanced) for Scaling performed by.

This should help! It worked for me.

Oh this is for Windows 10 BTW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having tried all the in-app solutions, this worked perfectly for me. Hard to believe Adobe still haven't fixed this in almost two years (since this thread started) however if you hand over scaling to the system, Windows will do it properly for them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

This response may frustrate you all a little because I can't exactly recall the steps I went through to fix the problem re scaling of adobe on a second monitor - but I can assure you I have. In simple terms I experimented, basically using the change display options, and specifically by cutting out my primary monitor altogether so it only had the option to display on the second monitor. I did restart the adobe program, and found that on the second monitor displayed correctly. Obviously, I then wanted to use the primary monitor (my laptop) and then switched it back on, I went through a variety or random alternative (this is the bit I cant exactly recall). The adobe kept reverting back, however on one of the random monitor display setting changed (nothing fancy just around the one or two monitors, extend, replicate, etc., I noticed a message pop up (or appear somewhere on the display window) which said I had to sign out for before changes could take affect, so I did,(it gave me the option to do so as opposed to having to user log out - whether that's anything significant). Anyway now I am back in everything is sweet!! adobe properly scaled. I am tempted to piss around tryng to find the same exacting steps as I can see there are thousands of people with the same problem, but equally I am slightly scared I wont be able to redo the puzzle. My hope is that someone with more skill might put two and two together and figure out what I did to make it work. From a lay perspective it was reassuring to see the rescaling once I was only on the second monitor as that reassured me it would do so, probably why I tried (in my own way) to trick adobe / the computer to thinking it was still supposed to display it correctly even after switching the original monitor back on...

Hope this helps in some way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I read through all of the suggested fixes here and found that a combination of them all with a slight added twist helped me.

Here's what I did:

1. File > Preferences > General - Scale for screen resolution > select "Never". Click ok. Close Acrobat.
  2. Right click on the Acrobat Icon on your Desktop > Properties > Compatibility
  3. Check Override high DPI scaling behavior
  4. Click on drop down underneath that check box and select System (Enhanced).

This completely fixed the display issue being discussed in this thread for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe you are the man! This worked finally. THANKS A LOT ADOBE FOR THE HELP! CUSTOMER SERVICE F-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We released an update that fixes scaling issues following tracks: Acrobat DC Continuous, Acrobat 2017, Acrobat Reader DC Continuous, and Acrobat Reader 2017. This update will be automatically applied to all Acrobat and Reader users in the coming days. You may also update to the latest release by opening the application and going to Help > Check for Updates.

For this fix to work you should ensure following:

a. Ensure "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by" is unchecked.

Right-click on Acrobat Reader DC icon.

Choose Properties

Select Compatibility tab

Uncheck the box for "Override high DPI scaling behavior.  Scaling performed by:"

b. Preference "Scale for screen resolution(restart required)" is set to 'Auto-Detect'.

Open Acrobat/Reader.   

Go to Edit > Preferences > General

Select 'Auto-Detect' for preference 'Scale for screen resolution(restart required)'

Could you please try it out and let us know if it addresses the above mentioned issue?

Thanks,

Paramjeet Yadav

Acrobat Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to work now.

I unchecked the "override..." and restarted acrobat and all seems to scale correctly on my external monitor.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried what Paramjeet said and didn't work for me. I have Adobe Acrobat Pro XI (11.02.22).  PLEASE release an update for it. It is very frustrating!!!

I have tried all what has been suggested, and the only thing more or less worked was to use the Systems Enhanced scaling, but then it is quite blurry...

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Acrobat DC Pro worked fine until a few weeks ago when it suddenly took on the UI-too-large feature.  At default the settings were as suggested by Paramjeet above.  To fix the problem I had to CHECK the "override high DPI..." and select "System" or "System (Enhanced) to fix the problem.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still does not resolve the problem, and we are now years down the line - surely there is a fix by now that works for all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines