Exit

Adobe Reader DC download says it is infected with a Trojan

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We are March 20, 2023, around 4:00 PM ETC

So I downloaded and tried to install Adobe Reader. I made sure it was from the official website, as I already have a story with a third-party one. So it was no doubt from get.adobe.com. Halfway through installation, Windows Defender blocked it because it found the Wacatac B, a serious threat, attached to the .exe file. The affected file was rooted in: C:/PRogramData/Adobe/Temp/7682/installer.bin. It was deleted at that moment. 

Just in case, I went back and double-checked my browsing history. And again, that was get.adobe.com.

Did that happen to anyone, how could this be?

I think the threat was blocked, but I'm running a full scan through my laptop at the moment, with Windows Defender again, and with Malware Bytes later. I will edit if further detail is found.

TOPICS
Download and install , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you update the antivirus definitions before retrying? False positives are often fixed quickly. Or you may need to report it - no good reporting it to Adobe, it's your antivirus makers who have to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer. Yes, I had everything up to date and double-checked afterward. I don't feel confident downloading this file again and retrying, though, until I understand what happened.

And yes, I read about false positives.

I'm including the pictures that I took at the moment. Sometimes I wonder if my cursor drifted to a third-party website unknowingly. Have no idea what a blob is.

20230320_200749.jpg20230320_173524.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A "blob" is basically a file. This is fine, since you're downloading from the adobe.com domain.

It's most likely a false positive by Windows Defender.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TodayAnotación 2023-03-23 102623.pngAnotación 2023-03-23 102704.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearly there is a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bye Acrobat Reader . Open Source alternatives .

https://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/free-pdf-reader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same detection on my computer.

Miguel29033044y8k3_0-1679588289190.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That virus is serious. The good news is I haven't noticed any breach to my accounts so far, it has been 3 days. So Windows Defender did prevent the worst.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same problem here.

Not installing Acrobat Reader until this issue will be explained by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carlo290789449nky_0-1679848126449.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same situation, 27/03/2023, 2 AM.

I can survive without the reader from adobe. Some risks are not worth taking.

I dont really care if its a false positive or not. Both big companies, sort it out between yourselves. Until that, lost clients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @maryamira @Fernando29084139zh8h @Carlo290789449nky @Miguel29033044y8k3 @Sergio29030100bdrq 

Hope you are doing well, and thanks for reporting this issue. I will get it checked internally with our team.

Please remove the application using the Acrobat cleaner tool https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html , reboot the computer once, and reinstall the application using the direct link https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/ and see if that helps.

Let us know if you experience any trouble and need more help.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had the same issue. Adobe does not seem to think the problem is on their end, despite several isolated cases with the same problem. I am also using Defender for Endpoint and it was also labeled as 'Wacatac.'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 29, 2023 May 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

This issue is known to our engineering team and is being worked upon.

We will share more details as soon as we get any updates.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines