Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hiding the tool bar / showing page thumbnails by default

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2015 Apr 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Does anyone know how can the right side tool bar be hidden by default on Acrobat DC?

Likewise, how can the page thumbnails show up everytime a PDF is opened?

Many thanks

Gil

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Hi all,

The right side panel behavior has been fixed in the DC update that was released on 14th July (Release Notes). If you close the panel once, Acrobat will now remember that and will not auto-open it.

For Adobe Reader, go to Edit > Preferences (or press Ctrl+K) and under “Documents” section, uncheck “Open tools pane for each document”.

1.   Launch Reader
  2.   Uncheck this preference
  3.   Collapse the RHP
  4.   And relaunch Reader  =>> Now RHP will appear as collapsed for every doc

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

-ash

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2015 Aug 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: moving the 3 files "(AppCenter_R.aapp" - "Home.aapp" - "Viewer.aapp") from: Program Files (x86)\Adobe Acrobat\Reader\AcroApp\EPU to a created "disable" folder

Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU!

This got rid of the side bar -

Tell everybody!

cdhooning

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2016 Mar 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, it worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2015 Apr 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I give up. There are other pdf readers out there. Why did someone think that taking up 20% of the window with operations that are irrelevant 99% of the time (or more) is a good idea? Did they forget the product is a "reader"? Why do I want a floating list of icons at the bottom of the page? Does this improve usability over having the same icons in the toolbar?

I thought the goal would have been to make it easier to use. At least some companies do stuff like say "use old interface" or allow you to configure the interface so it does what you want and also remembers your changes.

Do they hire usability people who try to figure out what people are wanting to do. What you have is a very polished interface that does a great many things I don't want to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, please fix this mess and inconvience you cause to your paying customers.

It aint no fun to work with acrobat anymore!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2015 Apr 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree with the posters here. It's very irritating to have to open the thumbnails and close tools everytime I view something. At least in my case, primary usage seems is viewing more than editing, despite all the features Adobe likes to push. User testing Adobe?

There should be settings to:

a) Always show thumbnail navigation on document open

b) Keep tools hidden on document open

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 29, 2015 Apr 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thats it adobe, just deinstalled that crap DC and reinstalled Acrobat Pro XI (http://trials2.adobe.com/AdobeProducts/APRO/11/osx10/AcrobatPro_11_Web_WWMUI.dmg)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2015 Apr 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following up on an earlier post...

I've tried a few alternative PDF products (which shall remain nameless). It is clear that Adobe creates really good, solid albeit sometimes annoying technology. In looking at reading capability, it is clear that Acrobat handles the more difficult situations effortlessly, and performance is quite good. Notwithstanding this, the majority of PDFs that I come across are quite mundane. An unsubstantiated guess is that most are created from basic MS Word documents.

The raison d'etre for the PDF was to maintain the sanctity of the print format when presented online. For the majority of documents (again unsubstantiated opinion), this is irrelevant. It is used the way it is because it is the easiest way to take a Word document and make it readable electronically.

If my guesses are correct, Adobe has really misread the main usage of Acrobat. Instead, the focus is continuing the development of Acrobat to keep it meaningful. Unfortunately, this direction is taking it away from its primary use case. Typically, product management is paid a lot of money to make bad judgements (being snarky) and this may be one of them. The product is better fulfilling uses cases other than just being a reader, the primary use case.

So, going back to looking at alternative products: what I've seen is that there are those that have some of the duality of Acrobat. What was done, however, was an acceptance of this duality: there was a way to switch the product between an Edit mode and a Reader mode. Something such as this might go a long way towards quieting people like us.

And, as a response to other comments in this thread...

One of the things that I do when designing a document for within Acrobat was signalling if I wanted the left pane to display. In many cases I did as this left pane would contain an outline of the information that is in my document. By manually creating a structure, I could facilitate my reader's access to the information. (I never found a use for thumbnails.)

It should, of course, be up to the reader if they want never to the left pane by default. However, as a document's designer, I want to have the ability to say how I want to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2015 May 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another problem with the current behavior is Adobe Reader is often use to display PDF documents in a meeting, projected in front of an audience. Usually the operator or speaker will not know all the keyboard commands to hide the various toolbars, sidebars, etc. In the current design they cannot be configured ahead of time to be hidden by default. Thus before the entire audience, all that stuff is hanging out. It is distracting and gives an unfinished, slipshod presentation. Most of the audience will not understand the underlying deficiency and just mentally blame the speaker. However the responsible party is Adobe. This usage case is so common, I find it incredible that Acrobat Reader DC actually shipped in this state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tired of messing with the new Acrobat DC. It has been DELETED and I have gone back to Acrobat 11. I don't mind 'improvements" but this new version adds a bunch of stuff I'll never use, didn't ask for, and got rid of/changed stuff I used every day. One huge step backwards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2015 Jun 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workaround is given here:

1. Backup and open XML file Viewer.aapp from folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 2015\Acrobat\AcroApp\ENU or similar in Notepad++

2. Comment out the block of lines by adding <!-- before the first line that is not needed and --> after the last line that is not needed. Save the file to that folder. Or save to My Documents and drag to that folder:

<Application xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/acrobat/app/2014" title="Viewer" id="Viewer" majorVersion="1" requiresDoc="true" minorVersion="0">
<!--   

<Layouts>       

<Layout name="Default">           

<RHP>               

<Component name="AppShortcutListView" type="Custom"/>          

</RHP>       

</Layout> 
     </Layouts>
-->
</Application>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

The right side panel behavior has been fixed in the DC update that was released on 14th July (Release Notes). If you close the panel once, Acrobat will now remember that and will not auto-open it.

For Adobe Reader, go to Edit > Preferences (or press Ctrl+K) and under “Documents” section, uncheck “Open tools pane for each document”.

1.   Launch Reader
  2.   Uncheck this preference
  3.   Collapse the RHP
  4.   And relaunch Reader  =>> Now RHP will appear as collapsed for every doc

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads up ashumittal . Confirmed, it works! If you haven't received your update yet you can go to the help menu and click "check for updates..." to check manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2016 Mar 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like your answer about how to stop thumbnails from always showing when a page is open. BUT. How can I set Acrobat so that the thumbnails always appear by default?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2016 Apr 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Came here looking for this as well. Would be great if this was a global setting in preferences.  Clicking that tiny little sidebar every time is pretty annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

The issue has been fixed in the latest update, please refer to this release note Hide the Tools panel permanently in Acrobat and Acrobat Reader DC.

Regards,

Aadesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2015 Aug 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is now nearly September.  is there an update/fix I have missed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2015 Aug 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I hit send by mistake. I'll start over. Here's the file map:

C Drive\Program Files (x86)\Acrobat\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroApp\ENU

In this file, (ENU) create a file and give it a name (I called it "Disabled") and move the following files into it:

AppCenter_R.aapp

Home.aapp

Viewer.aapp

No More Sidebar!!

To: Calvin Hooning <cdhooning@yahoo.com>

Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2015 4:25 AM

Subject: Hiding the tool bar / showing page thumbnails by default

created by amyt4977 in Acrobat Reader - View the full discussionthis is now nearly September.  is there an update/fix I have missed? If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7911560#7911560 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7911560#7911560 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" Start a new discussion in Acrobat Reader by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 30, 2015 Aug 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello cdhooning‌,

Instead of deleting these files, we would strongly recommend downloading the latest update of Adobe Acrobat Reader where the Right Hand Pane behavior has been made sticky - it will stay closed if you close it and so on.

Please let us know if you face any issues with the same.

Thanks,

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2015 Sep 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your reply.  I am using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, version 15.008.20082.  Is my version the most current?

I'm not sure how but I have gotten rid of the tool bar.  What I would like is for the page thumbnails to appear each time I open my PDF's.  I know that if I go to view & click on them, they will be there the next time I open the document, but is there a way I can skip this step?

thank you, Amy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2015 Sep 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Amy, I'm just an ordinary user. I got the solution I told you from a post on the Adobe forum, and offhand, I don't even remember the guys name.I've received messages from Adobe staff to upgrade, and the r.h. tool bar is optional. But there again, I don't know what version # is most current.So, short answer, I dunno!Good luck.

To: Calvin Hooning <cdhooning@yahoo.com>

Sent: Thursday, September 3, 2015 5:05 AM

Subject: Hiding the tool bar / showing page thumbnails by default

created by amyt4977 in Acrobat Reader - View the full discussionthank you for your reply.  I am using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, version 15.008.20082.  Is my version the most current? I'm not sure how but I have gotten rid of the tool bar.  What I would like is for the page thumbnails to appear each time I open my PDF's.  I know that if I go to view & click on them, they will be there the next time I open the document, but is there a way I can skip this step? thank you, Amy If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7924630#7924630 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7924630#7924630 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" Start a new discussion in Acrobat Reader by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2016 Jul 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did the update (15.016.20045) and that side-panel was still visible, even after unchecking it in the "view > show / hide > tools pane" it was still coming back, so I had to move these 3 files. (haven't done the "preference" thing like said here above)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We have been working on enhancements related to the Page Thumbnails/Left Hand Pane stickiness and would be interested in your feedback.

Please let us know if you'd like to try out the prerelease build with these changes (just send an email to asmittal@adobe.com with reference to this thread).

Thanks,

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

This is something that bugs the crap out of me too.

I've got the right hand pane switched off, but I would like the left hand thumbnail/tool bar to be turned off too. I use Reader on a 4:3 screen & the toolbars take up too much space.

Please include a method (right click on toolbar or option in preferences) to turn this off.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Acrobat update containing the functionality to pin the Page Thumbnails is now available. Please update to the latest release by opening the application and going to Help > Check for Updates.

You can read about the feature here: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/whats-new.html#RetainLHPState

Release notes for today's release are here: http://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotes/DC/dccontinuousjanuary2017.html

Please try it out an let us know your feedback.

Thanks!

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've downloaded the update.

Nope. There is no option to close the left hand thumbnail flyout.by default.

Can you please just give us the option?

Is it so hard to do?

Regards.

Stuart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines