• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat app for android phone wish washy

Contributor ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am noticing an issue with a password protect pdf that I have created on phones using Acrobat on phones.

Let me explain.

It is a large pdf file.

The file size is 15,639 KB when it is not password protected.
When I password protect the file, it is 15,681 KB.

When it is not password protected, I can view it on my phone without any issues at all.

However, when I password protect the file, I can not view the data in the file once I start scrolling down through it towards the end.

I can view this same password protected file on my phone with a pdf app other than Acrobat and have not problems at all.
This seems to be an issue with Acrobat.
What would cause this and how can I get this resolved this so this it will work in the Acrobat app?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Acrobat Mobile app that is how documents are protected from editing. The user will not be able to open the document at all.

The feature that you're referring to is not achieved with the mobile app,  but with the full desktop version of Adobe Acrobat, which is the support forum where you posted your inquiry. That wasn't clear to me when you first posted your inquiry.

If you are restricting a PDF using the full desktop version of Adobe Acrobat (by which a password is not needed to open a document, but a password is needed to restrict editing), you may have to test with a few different combinations of restrictions until the secured PDF renders the way you need it in both of the mobile app, Adobe Acrobat Reader  or the full desktop version of Acrobat (to be sure).

I would say that, since you are able to open and scroll through the document but it doesn't allow the viewing of the data, try lowering some of the current restrictions.

As I mentioned earlier, other PDF viewer don't resprect the JavaScript securtity that are imposed with Acrobat as a PDF editor. In fact, Adobe Acrobat is pretty tight on PDF restrictions; manual tweaking may be necessary.

For example, in the "Password Security - Settings" ==>> "Permissions" section, I would test if Changes Allowed need to be changed to something else and  disable the "Enable text access for screen reader devices for the visiually impaired".

Most important, in the "Options" section ==>> "Compatibility" section, the encryption level may need to be lowered (i.e. to Acrobat 6.0 and later  or 7.0 and later).

But if this doesn't work and you suspect it could be a bug, please use the link below to report it directly to Adobe:

You'll get a better chance to voice your findings through that channel.

I've came accross this issue too many times. If you can share a dummy file (with no sensitive data on it)  I can take a look at it and test it.

View solution in original post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[MOVED TO THE ACROBAT READER MOBILE DISCUSSIONS]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Send me a private message.

You can share your test files directly from the Acrobat mobile app.

• click on the share icon of your Acrobat app and =>> " Create Link"

• Share that link to the test file in your private message

See slide: 

Screenshot_20240207_152913_Adobe Acrobat.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Attroll,

Viewing the file shouldn't be an issue if it is protected. 

This sounds strange and shouldn't be happening.

Please share a sample file along with a screen recording of the behavior for more investigation.

-Souvik

Community & Social Consultant | Document Cloud | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Attroll,

Thanks for the screenshots.

I have already responded to your message, sharing the link to set up a call and the email address. Please check and respond accordingly so we can work further.

-Souvik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Attroll

Thanks for sharing such detailed observation. Very interesting I may add.

I would say that other PDF apps (including web brosers with PDF-viewing capabilities) don't respect the security mechanisms set in place by platforms like Acrobat.

I re-created on my end the same scenario and didn't have that problem on an Android device.

When I set a password-protected document and I open it with the Adobe Acrobat mobile app on my phone, the PDF document shouldn't be displayed at all until the user punch in the password to unlock it.

Only then, I am able to view and scroll through the document.

i am able to test the same file with the built-in File Viewer and Androids built-in PDF Viewer and it respects the password protection.

I would say to manually force an update on your Acrobat mobile app or uninstall and reinstall directly from GooglePlay (a manual reboot of your device may be required after installing the app).

See if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was not referring to having a password to open the document.

I was referring to a password to prevent people from editing the document.

I only protected it so that it could not be edited.

If it is password protected from editing and I open it, it has the issues that I menationed above.

However, if it is not password protected from editing, then there is not probolem at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Acrobat Mobile app that is how documents are protected from editing. The user will not be able to open the document at all.

The feature that you're referring to is not achieved with the mobile app,  but with the full desktop version of Adobe Acrobat, which is the support forum where you posted your inquiry. That wasn't clear to me when you first posted your inquiry.

If you are restricting a PDF using the full desktop version of Adobe Acrobat (by which a password is not needed to open a document, but a password is needed to restrict editing), you may have to test with a few different combinations of restrictions until the secured PDF renders the way you need it in both of the mobile app, Adobe Acrobat Reader  or the full desktop version of Acrobat (to be sure).

I would say that, since you are able to open and scroll through the document but it doesn't allow the viewing of the data, try lowering some of the current restrictions.

As I mentioned earlier, other PDF viewer don't resprect the JavaScript securtity that are imposed with Acrobat as a PDF editor. In fact, Adobe Acrobat is pretty tight on PDF restrictions; manual tweaking may be necessary.

For example, in the "Password Security - Settings" ==>> "Permissions" section, I would test if Changes Allowed need to be changed to something else and  disable the "Enable text access for screen reader devices for the visiually impaired".

Most important, in the "Options" section ==>> "Compatibility" section, the encryption level may need to be lowered (i.e. to Acrobat 6.0 and later  or 7.0 and later).

But if this doesn't work and you suspect it could be a bug, please use the link below to report it directly to Adobe:

You'll get a better chance to voice your findings through that channel.

I've came accross this issue too many times. If you can share a dummy file (with no sensitive data on it)  I can take a look at it and test it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me explain this a little more to try and help you understand what I am saying.
I am not having issues opening and viewing the document that is password protected from editing.
I am having trouble viewing the entire document that is password protected from editing.

With no password. I can view the entire document.
If I assign a password to keep users from editing the document, the documents will still open, and I can view it. However, the issue is that is occurring is it will not let me view the entire document.
The text and data are missing further down the document. All the pages display but the information is not displaying on it.
The quirky thing about it is that if I zoom in on the page some of the data starts showing up, but not all of it.

I have attached a screenshot of what I am talking about.
Screenshot_1 is what it is supposed to look like.
Screenshot_2 is what it looks like with password protection from editing.
Screenshot_3 is zooming in on the password protection from editing.

This is a 261 page document.

I can share some files with you it you want to reach out to me and give me you email address.
I appreciate you working with me on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Send me a private message.

You can share your test files directly from the Acrobat mobile app.

• click on the share icon of your Acrobat app and =>> " Create Link"

• Share that link to the test file in your private message

See slide: 

Screenshot_20240207_152913_Adobe Acrobat.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am willing to share it in order to have some look and try to help, but I do not want to share it publically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Attroll,

Thanks for writing in!

I was going through the conversation above. 

If the issue still stands, I see an interactive PDF here, which Reader Mobile is having difficulty rendering. 

Would you mind sharing the file with me, too? The team is currently working on the render engine issues, and I can have this checked in the process. 

Please feel free to send the file over a private message by clicking my profile, followed by the blue "Send a Message" button.

You can use the blue "Browse" link to attach the file or share the link as suggested above.

Look forward to hearing from you.

-Souvik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[MOVED TO THE ACROBAT READER MOBILE DISCUSSIONS]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded the new release on 3 Mar 2024 and the problem is worse than what it was before. Now I can even scroll to page 2 and the data dissapears. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works great if the pdf is not password protected. However, if the pdf is assigned a password to keep someone from editing it, then it will not display the whole document.

This has been going on for about two years now or more. When is this seriously going to get look at by Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Attroll,

Viewing the file shouldn't be an issue if it is protected. 

This sounds strange and shouldn't be happening.

Please share a sample file along with a screen recording of the behavior for more investigation.

-Souvik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attaching a screen shot of page #1 and page #2 of the protected pdf.

Page #1 displays fine but where you scroll to page #2 all the data is missing.

Another thing that happens is if you zoom in on page #1 and then zoom back out, all the data disappears, and it looks just like page #2.

I will not share the file in the open forums here because it is a copyright file and I don’t want unauthorized people to have access to it.

Souvik, I previously messaged you about this. If you want a copy of the file I will email it to you, just reply to the message I sent you.

Thank you for answering me and looking into this.

Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Attroll,

Thanks for the screenshots.

I have already responded to your message, sharing the link to set up a call and the email address. Please check and respond accordingly so we can work further.

-Souvik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Souvik

Sorry about that. I did not see the email address that you gave me.

I just sent you the file.

Thank you

Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Attroll Received.

Please allow me and the team some time to investigate this.

Thanks,

Souvik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 10, 2024 Mar 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem. Are you seeing what I am talking about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Attroll,

Yes. All the details have been added to the ticket. 

I will update the thread once I hear back.

-Souvik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 10, 2024 Sep 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For some reason the reply that the Adobe Team Member said is not in this post anymore, but that does not surprise me.

The team member replied back in March saying this fix would be in done by the next quarter.

When do Adobes quarters run. It has been over six months. I think that is more that a quarter.

This problem still exist.

Can I get and update on this please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines