• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot highlight text in a PDF.

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2015 Jun 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too hard??  I have been using Adobe products for 20 years and never had a single problem highlighting a pdf.  Today I find I can't highlight a PDF and I really need to.  I have spent the entire day, its now 3:30pm, trolling the internet trying to find out how to highlight and Adobe PDF document.  Epic fail Adobe.

TOPICS
Comment markup and annotate , iOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 01, 2015 Jul 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi willm26591030,

Are you using the desktop app on a Windows/Mac computer or the mobile app on an iPad/iPhone or Android tablet/phone?  (Your forum post appeared in the mobile forum.  But it is not clear which app you actually use.)

It sounds like you have a different problem.  The other users in this forum thread had questions about how to find the commenting tools in the new mobile Reader app - Adobe Acrobat Reader for iOS or Android.

Your problem may be caused by the type of your PDF document.

Here are the most common cases.

(a) Scanned PDF document containing no real text

Try selecting text instead of highlighting text.  If you cannot select text at all (no matter how hard you try), your PDF document is likely a scanned PDF.  You can only add Text Markup annotations (Highlight, Underline, Strikeout) to real text, not to image of text.  You need to run OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software to turn images of text into real text.

(b) Secured/protected PDF document

The security settings or restrictions of the PDF document explicitly disallow commenting.  The author/distributor of the PDF document does not want you to add comments to it.  All of the commenting tools will be disabled in this case.

(c) Encrypted PDF document

When security settings (e.g. password, certificate) or restrictions are added to a PDF document, the document becomes encrypted.  Unlike the desktop version of Adobe Reader, the mobile Adobe Acrobat Reader apps (for iOS, Android, Windows Phone) have the known limitation where changes cannot be saved to encrypted PDF documents.  Therefore, users are not able to make any changes to encrypted PDF documents.  The easiest way to work around the problem is to use the desktop version of Adobe Reader.

Pleas let us know if you would like us to examine your PDF document to identify the particular reason why you cannot highlight text.

View solution in original post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same happens to Adobe Acrobat Reader DC desktop version and I use a workaround:

• Click on Comment icon to enable the tools.

• Click on Draw Rectangle tool,

• Click on Change Color tool, choose the color and set opacity to about 40%,

• Click on Change Line Thickness tool and set to 0 pt,

• Draw a rectangle around the text you want to highlight.

If you are not satisfied with the color and opacity then right click the rectangle, click Properties and change its appearance.

This will also highlight over the character itself and the effect is not as good as the real Highlight.

View solution in original post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the issue of not being able to hightlight when I did saved my document as "print to pdf". this is what I did:

• Open the "Start" menu and in the search tab and type: Turn Windows features on or off.
  •  uncheck the feature of "Microsoft Print to PDF".
  • check the feature of "Microsoft Print to PDF" back on

and that worked for me and I can do highlight now.

good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks James, in my version (Acrobat Pro DC) that option needed to be activated, as well. Must have been the almighty hand of Adobe to make such a change secretly. I'd wish they strated to talk to their users before that decide on USr Interface matters. I've added your method to my Acrobat Cheat Sheet (over a page long now).

Thabks again
Greetings from a sunnt Amsterdam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2023 Nov 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my solution: open PDFs in Microsoft Word - a program where highlighting is simple, and works the way it's supposed to. I tried for an hour to make it work in Acrobat, and couldn't get it to. Adobe, Acrobat is janky and the tool process is opaque and near unusable. Look at Word, learn, and fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 24, 2023 Nov 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Paul Vinger, Voice Actor,

Sorry for the experience. 

Anything specific that you would like to share with us to investigate? Like, is the issue related to a speicifc file, do you see any error messages, or a screen recording of the entire event happening for better understanding.

Look forward to hearing from you.

-Souvik

Community & Social Consultant | Document Cloud | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2023 Dec 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution is to print to pdf from the document you are trying to highlight.  The 'print' action changes the format to recognizable text!  Now you can highlight!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2024 Feb 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, I had to chance the opacity of the highlight, which was set to 0%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2024 Jul 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just unclear to me why we now have to use a workaround for something that we've been doing for years. When I'm balancing my checkbook, I highlight each item on the statement as I match it to my checkbook. In the past, I've always been able to just select the amount and highlight it. NOW, it takes more steps plus it will only allow me to do it on the first page of the document. It doesn't make sense to update software and actually add more clicks limit what the user can do. Pretty much the opposite of good UX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 24, 2024 Jul 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Kathy3870966209ph,

Hope you are doing well. Sorry for the trouble.

What you mention, shouldn't be happening. When you long press to select a text, you should get a dropdown (Android) or side-menubar (iOS) which has the option to highlight, underline or comment. 

Is this not something you see when you try to? Would you mind giving this a try and letting us know if that works?

If it doesn't, please feel free to share a screen recording video of the incident and we can get it checked.

-Souvik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a PC, not a phone.

Tested previously saved documents and it worked fine, so I deleted the
document and re-downloaded it. That seemed to solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Kathy3870966209ph That's good news then.

Thanks for keeping me informed.

-Souvik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines