• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Notes and highlights disappeared after reopening the file on the iPad Adobe Reader app

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2015 Feb 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This morning I opened a new PDF document using the Adobe Reader app for iPad (latest version). I spent the entire morning annotating the file (with the freehand tool, highlights and balloon notes). Mobile link was on. I tapped "Done" before closing the app. Now, in the evening of the same day, when I returned to finish reviewing the document, to my surprise and despair, all the notes have disappeared. I am pretty sure I did not delete the newer version of the file in any way. I simply closed the app, and when I reopened it all my work was gone. Is there a way to revert to a previous version of the document? I logged in to Acrobat.com on the desktop and the file is there (sync'ed via Mobile link), but only the version without the annotations. Help!!!! One can't loose hours of work this way!

TOPICS
iOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 20, 2015 Feb 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fabio Costa,

I Understand your frustration, and we regret for the inconvenience caused to you.

However i would like to know certain things, in order to assist you more accurately:

• Are you connected to the Internet on your iPad?
  • Are you able to see any other document files saved on the Acrobat server, using 'Acrobat.com' pane on your iPad device?

I tried to replicate the same on my iPad device but everything is working fine at my end.

I would recommend you to try signing out and sign-in back in your reader application.

Regards,

Rahul Tyagi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2015 Feb 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Rahul,

Thanks for the prompt reply. A fortunate new fact, and perhaps a bug in the software.

Always using the iPad version of Adobe Reader, but looking for the file in the Documents folder (instead of in the Recents folder) the version with all the notes was there. It seems that Reader was keeping two versions of the document, the current one in the Documents folder, and an older one (or maybe one with all the notes stripped out or hidden) in the Recents folder, as strange as this may sound. I also looked at the Acrobat.com folder, and couldn't find the document there. Mobile link was "on" all the time.

Fortunately, anyway, I had my notes back and could resume work from the point I stopped Friday morning.

Regards,

Fabio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 22, 2015 Feb 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fabio Costa,

You're Welcome!

I am glad that you figured that out and could resume back your work.

Regards,

Rahul Tyagi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 05, 2015 Mar 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i highlighted some texts and created make up notes on a document on Adobe reader app on android tablet . Mobile link is on. Now when I access that same document on iPad , those highlights and comments are not showing up. Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see a documents folder on my ipad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 05, 2015 Mar 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot find my highlighted text and annotations made yesterday on document when I opened doc today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2024 Jul 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello dear

i highlighted a lot of things in a file in Acrobat in my iPad, but suddenly a message appeared that a system error has happened and files closed automatically. When I reopened it , there was no highlighted area, no notes, no nothing. I am very upset at it, please can you help me out? Thank you 🙏 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 24, 2024 Jul 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Babar38684208nfra,

Hope you are doing well. Thanks for writing in!

From the description and the error you mentioned, this is an error that is triggered by your iPadOS due to overloading memory usage. 

Acrobat has nothing to do in this. Such errors can occur due to multiple reasons, like apps running in the background, file being too heavy for the device.

Such issues can lead to a system crash and we have no control on them. Any recovery from such crashes can only be done if the device OS allows it.

-Souvik

Community & Social Consultant | Document Cloud | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the current android app. My document froze--I couldn't scroll or highlight--so I just left it alone for a couple minutes and went to the restroom. When I got back, the document had closed itself and when I re-opened it, the highlights from the last 5 hours had all been deleted (highlights and notes from over 6 hours ago remain). The same amount of highlights shows up when I open the document on my laptop.

Is there any way to recover the highlights that closed out for some reason? Is there anything analagous to when the desktop program crashes and it offers a recovery file of what was open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2018 Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you solve the problem? I'm in the same situation now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cecilia,

This may not help you but just realized I was losing my highlights because I was viewing documents in the Sepia color (instead of black or white).  So my highlights weren’t gone, they were just too close to the viewing color to see.

-k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2023 Aug 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crazy that the same thing happend to me and more than 5 years have passed since this post. Smh fix your glitches adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mohammad alsharari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED!!!

I had a similar issue. I had opened up a PDF document on Adobe DC. I did some edits (mostly just highlighting an annotating for a presentation) on the document and then without closing the document, (because I wasn't done) I did some cleaning on my downloads, which involved moving my document on edit to a specific folder for easy retrival. Previously this document was on Downloads (including when I began commenting and highlighting the pdf). When I tried to save changes, it could not allow me to save, and then all the text on the pdf just disappeared. I could see the annotated sections and when I clicked on them I could see my notes, but no text. I moved the document in question back to downloads, then when I tried to save the pdf it saved just fine with all of my annotations. I then moved this document back to its organized folder and when opened, it opens with the annotated changes.

Sometimes the solution is simple and requires you to track all changes made to the entire document; including the reversal of any movememts you had made on the documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue on my macbook just now, my blood froze... 

simply logged out - in again and the highlights etc reappeared. puh 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tillh84851291 

Hi,

Great to know that it worked out for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue now and none of these fixes are working. I had worked on a +300 pg book manuscript over a few weeks, writing comments in margins and underlining. Now that I'm writing up the reviewer report, I'm going back through the manuscript and looking for the comments. I see that they saved up until p. 105 but for the rest of the doc they are gone! I'm using the Acrobat app on my ipad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Erica2513206868cj Hi,

Sorry for the trouble.

We have logged a bug on this issue and it will be fixed in the upcoming updates.

Thanks,

Souvik.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a solution for this problem? It has just happened to me. Interestingly, it happened to one document but not all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2023 Aug 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had exactly the same issue as you (8 years later) and none of the fixes worked. Crazy to think that Adobe doesn't fix these types of glitches even after all this time has passed. Time to start highlighting again i guess...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Juan Diego29613159fju0,

Sorry for the experience. This has been a long trail issue, and the team is aware of it.

There have been constant changes to how the touch sensitivity works on Apple iOS versions while the team works on a fix.

The team has this up on priority and is working to get the fix released in future releases.

I request your kind understanding and patience while we work on it.

-Souvik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is sloppy and unacceptable by Adobe.  I spent a few hours highlighting a very long file with regular saves in the latest (expensive) version of Adobe Creative Cloud for Mac.  The highlights have simply disappeared.  Including in my automatically saved backup files using Time Machine.  There should be a warning.  Abode are meant to save us time not cost it.  This is a long-standing issue and my patience has run out.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a premium user. What I should I do with this? . My highlights  and notes made with regular saves  simply disappeared?  I tried reinstalling, restarting and sign in and sign out nothing happened. Not only that I observed it very difficulty to highlight it's dragging.  This is a long-standing issue and my patience has run out. Please do help me.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Menelo33957182c1hd @Treconnek,

The highlight issue has already been flagged to the team and a fix will be live in the upcoming update.

-Souvik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines