• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Some types of PDF files can only open on laptop

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF application files from the government of Canada can’t be opened on Adobe PDF Reader on an iphone or ipad (even with latest update). Please fix that.

TOPICS
Create PDF , Edit and export , iOS , PDF forms , View or share PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is very simple. The “PDF forms” in question are really XFA forms which for better or worse are not supported by either the iOS or Android Adobe Acrobat Mobile Reader products. These XFA forms files were created by either LiveCycle Designer or similar non-Adobe authoring tools.

FWIW, there are other PDF readers on mobile devices and conventional computers that also cannot open or even worse properly process such XFA forms.

This is one of a few situations in which you need to use either a Windows or MacOS-based computer to properly open and fill such forms files.

There are not currently any plans to retrofit XFA support into the iOS or Android Adobe Acrobat Mobile Reader products.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

View solution in original post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This only happens when I open application forms from the Canadian government. Screenshot is attached. I'm using iPhone XR, iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPad Pro 2020 with latest iOS and iPadOS version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happens in the US too. Could not file US FBAR tax return on iPad Pro. Many  frustrating unsuccessful attempts. Had  to do on my laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is very simple. The “PDF forms” in question are really XFA forms which for better or worse are not supported by either the iOS or Android Adobe Acrobat Mobile Reader products. These XFA forms files were created by either LiveCycle Designer or similar non-Adobe authoring tools.

FWIW, there are other PDF readers on mobile devices and conventional computers that also cannot open or even worse properly process such XFA forms.

This is one of a few situations in which you need to use either a Windows or MacOS-based computer to properly open and fill such forms files.

There are not currently any plans to retrofit XFA support into the iOS or Android Adobe Acrobat Mobile Reader products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dov,

Please escalate this issue and fix it for us as it's very important for users to have a smooth experience throughout the platforms. Adobe is a huge corporation, you guys can obviously do it because it's your company's product. I'm very disappointed because this problem has been there for years. I had to buy a Macbook Pro just to open this kind of PDF file, otherwise I would never have bought a laptop since I can do almost everything on my iPhone and iPad.

This is such a poor experience tbh.

Kind regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I personally brought this issue up numerous times over the last number of years. Maybe hearing this from a customer may help change the minds of the Acrobat product managers. Please go to https://acrobat.uservoice.com/forums/914680-acrobat-reader-for-ios and express your requests and concerns there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines