• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Figma Question

Engaged ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone talk about this acquisition of Figma? Is XD dead?

See attached

TOPICS
Design , Prototyping

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 20 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

We have no idea how this will play out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

They are just buying their competitor, easier than improving their product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

They did say support for XD won't end. I have to believe both will merge into one super-duper UX app.

(FigmaD? Xigma?) xD

It's all speculation, of course. I wonder what Figma users are thinking right now, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

My guess is we might have file interop between XD and Figma. If we are lucky some other sharing functionality. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor , Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Sounds to me like XD will soon no longer be. From an email this morning:

Dear Valued Customer,

We're writing to share some exciting news we announced today. Adobe has entered into a definitive merger agreement to acquire Figma, a leading web-first design platform for teams who build products together.

Figma and FigJam make it possible for all stakeholders designing interactive mobile and web applications to collaborate through multi-player workflows, sophisticated design systems and a rich extensib

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

My hot take without all the facts:

Figma & XD aren't well differentiated enough to make a clear path for running them in parallel indefinitely. When they say 'we will continue to supportt XD' while 'reducing our investment in XD' it sounds similar to what they've done with Adobe Dimensions since introducing the Substance Suite. The difference is that as the premium product, Figma would have to become a subscription (?). 

I'm having flash backs of when Adobe acquired Macromedia. They mainly wante

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

. Like I think Illustrator got Freehands auttrace engine (?).

By @wednesday dessauer

No. Illustrator at that time already had better autotrace than FreeHand ever had.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

At least the UI of XD and Figma are near identical so the migration will be relatively painless 😀

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

What it means is Adobe has finally accepted their abysmal failure.

XD will wind down. Figma will receive lots of cash and a slow lethal injection of Adobe bureaucracy.

It's not a great time to be a user of XD or Figma, tbh.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor , Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

...and the day started out so well this morning.

What a mess. Bad news for Figma users, and bad news for XD users.

Obviously XD's development will end with the acquisition of Figma. And Figma's successful business model will be turned on its head and ruined by Adobe management in a few years time.

Chances are a new upstart company will provide an alternative to Figma that uses Figma's old successful business model, and after a decade or two or so Figma will but remain a pleasant memory.

I shudder

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Sep 17, 2022 Sep 17, 2022

So the probability of XD disappearing is still very high, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

They have Figjam and Figma, two incredibly great tools for collaborative whiteboarding, UI design, and prototyping. These tools are far more advanced, stable, reliable, and feature-rich, compared to Adobe XD (plus Whiteboard plug-in). Apart from XD's jaw-dropping Repeat Grid (with auto-alternating content), they offer everything Adobe XD does (and sooo much more), but quicker, better, more elegant and efficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Only thing Figma is missing compared to Xd is Video and Lottie (although they do support GIFs, they are pretty inefficient). Another thing - Xd allows for some hacks to simulate a sticky navigation, which due to the way fixed elements work in Figma, are impossible to achieve in the same way.

So if they add Video / Lottie to Figma and (proper) sticky functionality / scroll trigger - I personally don't need anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

FYI Multiplatform is less of an issue than it used to be. Depending on the environment you can create a Mac app as easily as a Windows app. Again, this is using the newer development environments. However, if one platform has a library that the other doesn't then it can cause major lag as it has to have feature parity.

The interesting part here seems to do with Microsoft's interests in Figma. They like Figma at Microsoft. 

Another issue may be the Mac M1 architecture upgrades for the desktop too

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

I have NO problem with Adobe's pricing. I sometimes need to use all their tools and I know I have access to all of them. The price is right. No complaints.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Deleted User
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

I would like to see Adobe stopped from aquiring Figma. 
They are a monopoly. 

Adobe sits in the heart of San Jose along with Google, Facebook, Twitter and the rest. These people have no allegence to Freedom or the American way of life. Technocracy is their end game. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Hi All,

We apologize for the delay in response and thank you for your observations. 

What’s the plan for XD? Will Figma become part of XD, or will XD be EOL?

We will continue to serve our existing Adobe XD customers. Post close, we look forward to engaging with the XD and Figma communities to understand ways we could add value. Key info: adobe.ly/3BEzZ2n 

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Hello ! I leearnec that Figma has been acquired by Abobe. To download Figma how do I proceed ? Is it present on the adobe suite or do I have to buy it via the usual platform ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Adobe has announced the intent to acquire Figma, but this has not happened yet and the process will take months for the deal to close:

"The transaction is expected to close in 2023, subject to the receipt of required regulatory clearances and approvals and the satisfaction of other closing conditions, including the approval of Figma’s stockholders."

https://news.adobe.com/news/news-details/2022/Adobe-to-Acquire-Figma/default.aspx

So in the meatime, those who wish to use Figma should procee

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 155 Replies 155
Engaged ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@thomashallgren  I appreciate your comments here and I get the public good thing. Firms today believe public good in OSS means the public gets the most useless version of the product they have purchased. They ONLY care about cash/stacks...

I look at FB and what a horrible company they are and I wouldn't want this product by another "enlighted" millenial trying to do "no harm" or become the face of "public good" I know why Adobe really paid 20b is because the BIG firms can pay more and this offer lets them stay in the game in the most important part of the creative business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They spun up a community around Figma, then #rugpull, sold to Adobe. Community goes away. Adobe left holding bag.

@thomashallgren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See  ƒractally. Figma (or a future competitor) could be launched as a DAO that way.

Also GoFractally Let me know if you would like an invitation.

@thomashallgren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a company's choice to do with their tool what they want to do with it.

And with regards to Figma, I think it's too late to ask or expect that Adobe will turn it into something public. Maybe you should target other upcoming tools (and their owners) to endorse this policy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When a done deal, then the Figma purchase will be the most significant design tool acquisition since After Effects. After effects just got multiprocessor capability last year. Maybe this will help Adobe to learn how to iterate and update products (relatively) more quickly. 

@thomashallgren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't be ridiculous. Adobe is not a monopoly. There are hundreds of companies competing with them in many areas. They're dominant in print and imaging, strong in audio/video, just starting in 3D, but especially in web and app design they were just a small market player between dozens of other tools (hence the acquisition).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somewhat politically correct. What other company competes with Adobe on their scale? ...

@thomashallgren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the landscape isn't so monotonuos at all !

In the print area, no one actually really tries or cares...

Canva shaves off the less professional users, and Affinity only caters for customers who don't like subscription models. Both have succeeded in partly mimicking and partly simplifying the interface and workflow, but Adobe retains its dominant position for professional in this area.

In imaging, Photoshop and Illustrator are dominant.

There have been various others, from Cricket Draw and Corel Draw to FreeHand and Inkscape, from PaintShop and Pixelmator to GIMPAffinity and ProCreate. Some gain traction, some remain amateuristic. So Adobe stays in charge, keeps it up by constant moving around, with spin-offs (Lightroom, Elements, etc.) and dozens of mobile apps and services (of which I don't keep track anymore...)

In video, there have always been a couple of strong market players.

In the early decades there were Adobe, and Avid, and a lot of specialized systems. Then Apple entered this area, with Final Cut and some other tools. Now, Davinci is also making waves. So Adobe continuously needs to stay in shape and be alert for what competitors come up with.

In music, Adobe never really wanted to played a serious role.

In 3D, they only just started, by concocting a 3D bundle of tools.

Earlier attempts (3D in Photoshop) were a laugh, 3D in After Effects is actually 2D planes and simple shapes with perspective, and recent apps (3D in Illustrator and Dimension) are low profile. While other popular 3D tools like Maya, Blender, and Cinema4D have been soaring.

In digital (web and app) design, their role has been varying.

In the early days, they now and then suprised users with alternating (mostly acquired) tools, like PageMill, GoLive, LiveMotion, ImageReadyDreamWeaver, FireWorks, Edge Animate, Muse, and last but not least Flash. They tried things with digital publishing but left the "creative" area and went overboard with their Experience Cloud for marketing and analytics. But creatively nothing lasted, not even XD, I'm afraid...

So you might have the impression that Adobe is a monopoly, but they're defeinitely not. At best, they're dominant in some areas, but even that comes not naturally to them. They have to stay on it, constantly !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Villevoye  The "Bundle" is the monopoly tool. Microsoft did it to IBM and now Adobe is doing it to the creatives. Substance & Base Creative cloud are unmatched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I don't understand your definition of a monopoly. There's a difference between offering an "all you can eat" buffet of creative tools, or customers being forced to buy a product from one supplier, simply because of the lack of competitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We apologize for the delay in response and thank you for your observations. 

What’s the plan for XD? Will Figma become part of XD, or will XD be EOL?

We will continue to serve our existing Adobe XD customers. Post close, we look forward to engaging with the XD and Figma communities to understand ways we could add value. Key info: adobe.ly/3BEzZ2n 

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. We already know what will happen. Community in tears.

@thomashallgren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harshika, thanks for this official statement and the link to the thoughts of David Wadhwani. I value both a lot.

After decades of hopeful intentions but also some very disappointing moves, this seems to me as a final chance for Adobe to get their web and app design act together ! I expect Adobe to have learned from their dwindling past in this area. The impact of this aquisition is huge, and the stakes are high, both for Figma and Adobe. Will Figma succeed in retaining their strength, and (under Adobe management) be able to improve and innovate even further ?

A tool like Figma deserves staying power, and I hope Adobe will help them building that up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my opinion, which is based on experiencing Adobe's history of three decades of botched attempts to become a major player in the web and/or app/dev design market segment, their latest endeavour is already headed for failure UNLESS management will allow themselves to change tack entirely.

After observing Adobe as a company struggling in those markets, I've come to believe that the behemothian business structure and hierarchy inherent to Adobe, are the very reasons why they possibly may not ever be able to compete due to their rigid, cumbersomely slow, and reactive business practices - which is anathema to the quickly evolving and changing dev design community and market.

It's a simple enough strategy to throw in the towel, i.e. dropping your own competing products, and instead buying out the market leader's business. But for Figma to continue to thrive, Adobe must allow the Figma team and company to remain as independent, assertive, disruptive, and forward-thinking as they were before the acquisition (and yes: that also means even before the rather stupid business decisions the Figma team has been making lately - Adobe may be about to acquire a company with cracks and chipping in the varnish).

I might even state here that the very action of removing your primary competitor and its products from the market in this manner almost immediately removes a great deal of business motivation to continue to be innovative and forward-thinking to ensure the continued success of those products.

I'd venture one more step here and muse that sooner rather than later YET another small upstart entrepeneur will break into the market that you intended to dominate with your acquisition, with a new rules-breaking disruptive product that drives your former market leader into a blind alley. And allow other competitors in the market to discover a new zest and drive to improve their products. Because you are the behemoth and slow to respond and lack the innate business motivation to stay ahead of the game.

I find it doubtful that Adobe's management is capable of maintaining market primacy with Figma in the midterm or long term run. So far they've again and again proven themselves to be reliable enough to mess things up.

History teaches us that they will allow Figma to stumble and fall from grace, unless they change their thinking: however, I feel Adobe's management just can't help themselves in this regard. It's the innate nature of the Business Behemoth.

My bet is against Adobe and Figma. We shall see what happens...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rayek, I totally agree with your observations and opinion. Adobe's usual approach for product management should definitely not be applied to Figma ! I honestly hope Adobe has learned a lesson from their dwindling past in the area of web and app design, and decided to finally get it right. 

It's their last chance, for $20B...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do take into account one other aspect:

While the quantity in Figma's popularity is based on its free plan, the quality is in its splendid approach and technology. And while a part of the current community of users might oppose the acquisition, there's a much larger and commercially more interesting community to be expected in a couple of years, because UX/UI design is growing steadily. And those new users will be paying customers, who don't care about early adopters who were unhappy about past acquisitions...

With Figma, Adobe acquires very unique and strong technologies, necessary to retain (or should I say re-establish) their dominant position in design for all kinds of media.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ! I leearnec that Figma has been acquired by Abobe. To download Figma how do I proceed ? Is it present on the adobe suite or do I have to buy it via the usual platform ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has announced the intent to acquire Figma, but this has not happened yet and the process will take months for the deal to close:

"The transaction is expected to close in 2023, subject to the receipt of required regulatory clearances and approvals and the satisfaction of other closing conditions, including the approval of Figma’s stockholders."

https://news.adobe.com/news/news-details/2022/Adobe-to-Acquire-Figma/default.aspx

So in the meatime, those who wish to use Figma should proceed as before; there are no changes at this time and the product is not (yet) available from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for all these precisions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what will happen with XD but if you look at the Adobe Complete Product page Adobe XD is missing from there as well as the Adobe XD landing page, they may support it for a bit but looks like Figma or some new Hybrid will take over. If Figma replaces XD I hope its put on the Creative Cloud so I don't have to get another damn subscription to something. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If part of CC, then I can save money. What about non-designer access?

@thomashallgren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

never tried adobe XD but figma is so easy to use.. (NVM it lacks a lot of options)..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XD is an excellent program and the development team was stellar. Unfortunately Adobe has a bias towrd building desktop applications. And that proved to be the downfall of XD. Adobe had to stop development of the Mac version to make a Windows compatible version. That cleared the path for Figma to iterate at an exponential rate. Had Adobe developed a web version of XD, it would likely have owned the UX landscape. Maybe Adobe will do that in the future. Given they were about to spend $20B on Figma, they would redouble that same investment to migrate all their applications to browser version. Lets hope!

@thomashallgren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short answer - you are right. Figma is the app for UX designers to use today. 

@thomashallgren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2024 Feb 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, its not dead. Not doubt that the figma is rather easy to use than adobe XD..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines