• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects 22.5 won't preview more than 5 frames

Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My AE for some reason after the latest 22.5 update has become extremely slow, and now won't buffer more than 5 frames? The auto cache also doesn't seem to work, unless I press the spacebar it won't start caching frames 

Until yesterday everything was working completely fine, I've been cracking my head for a solution but cant find anything online. This is my last resort.

System Specs

MacBook M1 Pro

16GB Ram

512GB SSD

[NOTE by Moderator: The title of the thread has been edited to include the AE version number]

TOPICS
Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Hi all, 

After Effects 23.0, released on October 17, 2022, contains a fix for this issue. 

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

If you are experiencing this problem with After Effects 23.0 (2023), please see this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/low-memory-warning-in-after-effects-23-0-2023/td-p/13280307 

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 106 Replies 106
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try to delete the disk cache and clean the database from preferences 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Farr2easy,

Sorry for your issue.

Does it happen in all the projects? Would you mind testing on a new project? What happens if you try disabling Multi-Frame Rendering (After Effects Preferences > Memory & Performance) and Speculative Preview (Composition > Preview > Cache Frames When Idle). Does it help?

Let us know, we're here to help.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Farr2easy,

Thank you for taking the time to report this caching and RAM preview issue. How much memory is available to After Effects in the preferences? Preferences > Memory & Performance. I ask as your symptoms sound like AE thinks it only has enough memory to cache a few frames.

Thanks,

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, thanks for your post, i feel less lonely.

I have the same issue since 22.5.

I'm on a macbook pro m1 16go 1To.

AE have 11go of memory, I cleaned the database and delete the disk cache, and there was no improvment.

I tried other projects and AE work well for a couple of minutes then the preview start not working.

It seems that AE and ME also didn't connect together 😞

Thanks for taking your time reading ans helping

noé

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's 22.5, revert back to 22..4 using creative cloud and things should start working again, well it did in my situation, hopefully, it will with yours!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorted it out, I think there's a bug with v22.5 or something went wrong when it updated, but I rolled back to v22.4 and everything started working out fine.

For some reason on v22.5 After effects was using only 39% of Ram and not more than that which was the root of the problem, after reverting back to v22.4 now it uses up to 70% depending on the usage 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I tried to install v22.4, but something went wrong. perhaps it was due to my pref files.

I'll try again !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue as you have, working on a similar machine (MBA M1 16GB). Did you achieve any improvements with 22.5 or are you latching on 22.4 for now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on 22.4 and it works very well now. But if I try to go back to 22.5, the issue comme back. 
thanks to everyone 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can you go back to 22.4? I asked adobe, but they only could provide with base versions, such as 22.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible to install previous versions of Creative Cloud apps. Please refer to the following link: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ishan for your response. Unfortunately it does not work anymore though as that `Other versions` option got out from the menu. Now you will have to ask older versions from adobe support through live chat, but apparently they can only provide with the base versions..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 22.4 seems to be working perfectly, will wait for the 22.6 update as of now, i don't think the 22.5 is stable on m1 macs 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the downgrade. After Effects 22.4 won't preview more than 5 frames

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rolling back to 22.4 also worked for me. I have the exact same specs as OP (M1, 16GB) except I have a 1TB HD. 22.5 was having all kinds of problems - only would preview 3 frames at a time, wouldn't work at all with dynamic link to Premiere. Rolling back to 22.4 fixed everything. Adobe please fix this!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I play the preview, it will cache a few frames (about 5-6 on average) and then loop infinitely. This is not exclusive to one project too as it's consistent throughout all projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We honestly can't know. You have not provided any system info, details about your preview settings, the project contents and whatnot. You need to be much more specific. If it occurs on multiple projects, there's a good chance your hardware acceleration isn't working correctly or you simply run out of RAM, so at least check that first. Anything beyond that will require more precise info.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after effect 22 only cashing 4 frame

i tried full, half, quarter , solo layer , new project , other project 

nothing fix it 

but in after effect 2021 working fine

please help me 

mac 12.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start by updating to version 22.5 of After Effects which is already released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use this version already  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fix it by downgrade to 22.4 

and I found here https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/after-effects-wont-preview-more-than-5-fram...

some people have same issues with 22.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Menna24984278yqew,

Sorry for the trouble.

What are your system specifications (CPU, GPU, RAM)? Try decreasing the RAM reserved for other applications in After Effects Preferences > Memory & Performance if you'd like to troubleshoot the 22.5 version.

Let us know if it helps.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, previewing has worked perfectly up until earlier today. I opened after effects, and suddenly the preview for any project doesn't work properly. The bar fills up a couple of frames, then goes back to the beginning and loops only that small cached part. When I move the time indicator after the part where it starts to loop, it renders frames from that point (changes the cached frames from before into the blue bar but doesn't render them all together) but then stops and renders again from where I moved the time indicator to. It's an infinite loop. In the attached image, the preview loops only the green bar.

I have cleared my cache, changed the ram available for other apps and reset my preferences and nothing has changed.

I have no clue what to do, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

My computer is an MSI Stealth 15M A11UEK and its specs are:

GeForce RTX 3060

Intel Core i7 11th gen

16GB Ram

512GB SSD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you already updated the graphic card driver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines