Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting Vector File to Shapes in Grayscale

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2023 Apr 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey y'all,

I'm trying to convert an illustrator file into shape layers in After Effects and when I do the conversion, it turns all the colors into Grayscale. I've attached what I mean. Is there a setting I don't know about I may have selected? I've attached what the file looks like before creating the shape layers and what the shape layers look like.

Really hoping I'm just dumb and selected something and this is an easy fix.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found the answer in a different forum, not sure if/how to delete but basically it's because the background has a gradient in the original AI file from what I can tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I respond to this question a couple of times a month. Brushes, Effects, Gradients, and a bunch of other complex Illsutaator tools will not convert to vector layers because there is nothing in the Shape Layer system that matches those effects precisely. 

I also have to ask, Why are you converting to a shape layer? There are only a few reasons ever to do that. Here's the list:

1. You need to animate the vector path.
  2. You need to use shape-layer animators.
  3. You need to extrude the layer using the C4D rendering engine.
  4. You need to copy a vector path and use it as a motion path, but that's not as simple as it sounds.

That's about it. Complex shape layers take longer to render than complex vector layers. There is no increase in resolution or the ability to scale the layer, and you lose a lot of the AI tools that many AI artists employ to create amazing artwork.

If you need shape layer animators, or extrusions, or to edit the motion path, create a copy of that layer in Illustrator, name it so you can identify it, then remove all brushes, gradients, and effects, import as a comp retaining layer sizes, then convert only that layer and try to replicate the look by adding your own gradients or effects to the layer.

There is one other option. It's going to create a massive AE comp. Here's the workflow:

1. Open Adobe XD and start a new document.
  2. Use the File menu to Import an AI (Illustrator) file
  3. Before you do anything else, return to the File menu and Export an After Effects file.
  4. After Effects should open, and the comp panel will be filled with a complex copy of everything, brushes, gradients, effects, blends, and anything else you have done in Illustrator. Save the AE project file before you do anything, and you will have all elements of the file imported. You may have some raster images, and the comp could be difficult to figure out, but every single AE object will be in the timeline. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines