Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disk Cache piling up

Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2012 Jul 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a "problem" with After Effects disk caches that don't get emptied from the application itself, but have to be emptied manually. They eat a lot of hd-space (multitude of GigaBytes).

What I found, that at least when I select clip(s) in Premiere Pro and make then an Adobe Dynamic Link => New After Effects Composition, this procedure starts to pile cache files to a location:

/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/11.0

to a folder called: "Adobe After Effects Disk Cache - <computername>.noindex"

That cache does not get emptied from anywhere in After Effects, selecting to empty the caches in AE does not remove them. So, I found them with a laborous manual search.

Now, I suppose (but don't know) that this folder can be deleted without any harm? Secondly, I would expect After Effects or Premiere Pro to be able to find and empty these caches on demand. This is not the first time I've noticed Adobe applications start to eat mysteriously hd-space, but it is the first time I'm able to locate where and from which process. Would anyone have a comment?

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Szalam​: Thank you! I know that doesn't affect performance, but it was taking up a LOT of SDD disk space, especially if it isn't essential to the current version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just have to be a the person to post on old threads, but I've been having this problem since June, and todays new update for the 2018 version of AE CC just made me think I should just double check that my C (main drive) isn't chock full - which it is.

I did the delete cache from inside AE and it didn't delete the 35GB of used date currently sitting in my user files - even though I manually set the cache folders.

The main reason I noticed this was only because I opened a game and it said you are running low on usable memory. my C drive is only 118GB and it shouldn't be chock full of crap but for some reason after the update it's gone from having about 50gb of space free to 1GB and it's in major red zone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may not want to hear it, but you REALLY need a bigger C Drive!  That's just tiny these days.

As to your cache,  AE creates a cache vor EACH VERSION of the application.  The more versions you have, the more old caches.  So just hunt through those folders, find the old caches, and just delete them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I know that. Like REALLY know that aha. Nothing I can do at the moment since this is a laptop. I am thinking about getting the right upgrade but as it is a little pricey its just, at the moment, not required as I can run things decently. As decently as laptops come.

(I have a Acer Predator 17 gaming laptop)

Moved the folder to where I put it on the D drive (1tb hdd drive) its back to about 50gb free lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate catching up onto old threads like this. But I'm having the same problem except I'm on windows

does anybody know where it's located? This has been doing my head in and it's killing me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be unique to your computer.  Mine is set to a separate drive, but you should see it listed from Edit > Preferences > Media & Disk Cache:

cache.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines