• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create custom shape with masks

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone! Just starter learning, and I need to create such shapes using only other shapes and masks. I wanted to round up separate corners in lower rectangle, and then use it as mask for upper rectangle, but I found only the option that rounds all corners at once. Any advice would be gratefully received, thanks.

photo_5208836384566137192_m.jpg

TOPICS
FAQ , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

You need multiple shapes that are lined up. You can use expressions to keep things properly lined up. Then, you can use Merge Paths if you need a stroke around the entire group of shapes. Something like this will work. 

RickGerard_0-1686684754737.gif

Fiddle with the projects, and let me know if you have any other questions.  All I did was create a Rectangle. with rounded corners, duplicate it, set roundness to zero, then use expressions to make it half as big as the first layer and shift the position by half the width and he

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have make shapes in Illustrator (as a filled shape without stroke), you can bring them into After Effects using the libraries or importing the Illustrator file. Then right click on the Illustrator layer in AE, go to Create>Create Shapes from Vector Layer and you will have that shape to use as a mask. You can use the track matte to mask the other shapes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need multiple shapes that are lined up. You can use expressions to keep things properly lined up. Then, you can use Merge Paths if you need a stroke around the entire group of shapes. Something like this will work. 

RickGerard_0-1686684754737.gif

Fiddle with the projects, and let me know if you have any other questions.  All I did was create a Rectangle. with rounded corners, duplicate it, set roundness to zero, then use expressions to make it half as big as the first layer and shift the position by half the width and height for one and minus half the width and height for the other. 

If you want the square corners in the opposite corners, you have to split the dimensions by using an array and adding a minus sign. Let me know if you have any problems with that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! I got it now, you really helped me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines