• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to fade in “Simple Choker Effect“ line by line?

Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have a question about the "Simple Choker" effect in After Effects, I have a long text and I would like to fade in the text line by line with this effect. As I was able to determine, this is not only possible with the effect alone. Because the applied effect, on a long text, will appear as a whole at once. I discovered the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORlYdANEzhI

As can be seen at minute 1.08, I would also like to see the long text displayed line by line. Now it is totally cumbersome with a longer text to create each line individually and then to animate them one after the other, with the Choker Effect.
Even if I add a wipe effect on a single text layer, where the long text is faded in line by line, the simple choker effect transitions too quickly, despite keyframes being equal in position.
Like in this video I would like to use the choker effect:
https://videohive.net/item/old-text-animated-page-of-alchemical-manuscript/13988790

Just without paper, etc., just a black background and the long text with text displayed line by line, including the choker effect, or matt choker or rough edges.
Is there any possibility, also for a simpler workflow instead of as shown in the first video.
I would be very grateful, thanks in advance!

TOPICS
FAQ , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. A way to do it:

Draw a line through the last line of text - set the stroke width to cover the text (and make it the colour of your final text).

De-select that shape layer.

Draw a line through the next line of text/ de-select and work your way up to the top.

Select all the shape layers and precompose them.

In the Precomposition add the Roughen Edges to each shape layer.

Move your time indicator to when you want the fade in to start.

Keyframe your top layer's Border to 350 - or whatever makes it dissapear.

Move to when it want it revealed and set the Border to 0.

Go through each layer using the same settings when you want the lines to appear.

In your main comp put the precomp under your text layer.

Set the precomp's Track Matte to Luma.

That should do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's really great, thank you very much! It worked! It's just that when you apply the Simple Choker or Roughen Edges to the text, you can see the lines of the word being revealed. So if a letter has a nice sweeping line, the effect reveals it beautifully. Because I use the effect on a stroke, it is only adapted to the shape of the line and therefore not applied to the letters. I hope I was able to express that well, maybe there is another possibility? I suspect you would have to draw each word with a line, that would be very time-consuming.
Thank you very much anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to create a custom matte with a text animator like e.g. a black text with super big white strokes and then tweak the grey levels to get the choker to do what you want it to do.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks! Is there a more detailed guide on how to do this? Because I'm not very familiar with the implementation. I would be very grateful!

Thank you very much! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines