• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need some help with SSD set up for best AE Performance- specs given

Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just upgraded from an imac pro (2017) to a new Mac Studio M1 MAX (512 int. SSD)

At my disposal in addition to these are two external SSDS, 1 TB and a 500GB, both Samsung T5s. So:

512GB int SSD (Mac Studio)

1TB Samsung T5 SSD

500GB Samsung T5 SSD

I don't use huge video files generally, but have a fair bit of Photoshop use. In terms of SSD set up, the advice out there is pretty conflicting or vague in terms of performance/previewing. From what I can gather it's good to have memory/cache seperate to project files, with apps/personal stuff seperate again. What is generally the best set up for AE performance? I would consider an upgrade to a better SSD if it would help re:memory/cache e.g. Samsung X5, but I thought I'd seek advice first.

TOPICS
Audio , Freeze or hang , How to , Import and export , Performance , Preview , Resources , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In general, as much storage as you can go is useful. It fills up pretty quickly so for people working on large projects, they might have to clear it once after the project is exported and done.

I don't really know what you mean by "setup" for an SSD. I would think just use them and set your cache location to somewhere on the drive. 

It's a little awkward that you have 2 different SSDs. You'd be better off with just one giant one. Windows has ways to partition drives but I don't know if OSX can do that. If it's possible for you to somehow return your 1tb and 500gb SSD, then I'd go for either a 1.5tb or 2tb. If you can return them, research online if there is a way to partition SSDs on OSX.

~Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your reply. I don't require all that much storage, and certainly in my experience of SSDs, they don't slow down all that much unless you're filling it all that much, which I don't, Re:set up, I suppose I've someone who (honestly) has everything all on one huge drive internally, backed up with one equally huge drive, externally. I've also known someone who has one SSD for his memory/cache, one for his project files, and one for his personal files. I've also known folks who swear by using RAIDS, though this is more for video editing. I wouldnt neccessarily subscribe to the 'bigger is better' thing for performance with AE.

Anyway, that's why I'm asking about set ups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize, I think I misunderstood your question in the original post. Thank you for clarifying! 🙂

About the setup, I would use the 512 GB for personal files, software installations, and everything other than below.

You could really go either or with the 500 GB or 1 TB drives for personal files/cache. Personally, I think the 500 GB would be best for project files, definitely since you don't have super large footage. I do understand your thought process around the "bigger is better" thing not being necessarily true, but if you HAVE it might as well use it. So I would locate the cache to be in the 1 TB drive. 

Hope I understood correctly! :]

~Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No apology neccessary! My fault for not being clearer. I think tht sounds decent. Internal SSD for personal files, 1TB for cache and 500gb for project files. I'd be intrigued to know if a faster SSD for the cache would yield faster previews

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This NMVE enclosure, coupled with this Samsung NVME SSD, is significantly faster than the T5 or T7 SSDs from Samsung. I have two of them, 1 with a 1TB chip and the other with a 2TB chip.  I also have one of the T5 Samsung and 3 of the T7  external drives. They are very good, but the real speed comes from the NMVE enclosures.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will certainly investigate this. As a scratch disk I suppose it wouldnt entirely matter if it failed. Many thank yous!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the setup I use. I have my internal files on 700 GB drive (300 GB was taken for partition), project files on the 300 GB partition, and a 1.5 TB drive for storing a lot of footage.

I don't know if a faster SSD would make a difference... this video will help with that (for Premiere Pro, but similar applies to AE) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFnoZUjcHIc

As Rick said, the 970 (or 980) EVO is great. It's pretty well known and one of the best SSDs out there. So that's a great option for upgrading.

~Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just bought one, with similar enclosure. The transfer rates are insane! Many thank yous again. I'll be using this for my scratch disk, so hopefully the preview speeds are up a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines