• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Set a keyboard shortcut to run a script in a particular context

Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure the answer to this is "No" but just checking anyway.

Is there a way to set a keyboard shortcut to run a script but not in the "Application" context.

I want to be able to have a script run only when the Project Panel is active and I am aware that there is no way of determining panel focus in a script.

The fact that the keyboard shortcuts window shows you all of the possible contexts in which functions can run feels like a tease if you can't add custom functions/scripts to them.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Gotcha. Well, if nothing else, you could always file a feature request on UserVoice or see if someone else already has and add your vote to it. https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since scripts that can be run via a KB shortcut are run from the File menu, it seems unlikely that you can do this within After Effects. However, given the note at the bottom of the keyboard shortcut editor (see attached screenshot), you might be able to go into the text preferences and mess with the shortcuts that way. It seems messy and probably won't be as streamlined as you want. What, specifically, are you trying to do? Maybe there's another way. Do you use Kbar? I have a vertical instance of Kbar docked to the left of my Project panel and it has a button for a scriptlet that I only use in that panel. 

davidarbor_0-1654785452942.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did look into manually altering the shortcuts file however that looks like a dead end.

My aim was to call my versioning scripts to replicate the Nuke functionality of alt+up/down and alt+shift+up/down to increment, decrement, get latest and get first footage versions respectively.

As it stands those shortcuts are applied to the tracker, layer and character and paragraph panels but not to the project panel. So an application wide shortcut would cause issues when trying to use the original shortcuts but a project panel specific one would work fine alongside them.

I could easily write up a dockable panel to run the scripts (and someone has clearly done something similar here: https://aescripts.com/versionup/) but that's a much less elegant solution to something that is solved so easily in other software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Gotcha. Well, if nothing else, you could always file a feature request on UserVoice or see if someone else already has and add your vote to it. https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines