• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble Exporting in After Effects / QT

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! So im learning how to use After Effects and Im having trouble saving a transparent video for my client. I wanted to try something new with her logo where there is motion. I created the logo in illustrator, put it in after effects, and now need to save with no background. There is an error when opening Quicktime and tried to save as MP4 as well with Adobe Media Encoder but was unable to make transparent. Please help me finda solution to this or point me in the right direction please 🙂

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

In Media Encoder, use format: QuickTime, and Apple ProRes 4444 alpha preset

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Media players do not use the alpha channel so all videos with transparent backgrounds will have a black background when played in any standard media player. The only way to see if the alpha channel is there is to load the rendered footage into an app that will use the 4th channel transparency like AE, Premiere Pro, or any other NLE.

My personal codec of choice is GoPro Cineform Trillions of colors with Straight alpha. You can also use several other formats. The default Lossless With Alpha preset in the Output Module should give you a visually lossless RGBA 8-Bit file that will work with just about any NLE, but it may not open in a media player. 

How is your client intending to use the footage? If they are using it for editing then ask them for their preferred format options. I have a document saved that lists all of the different production settings for all of my clients. I never assume. I always ask them what format they would like. Only about 1 in 50 clients will ask me for a recommendation. The rest have standard workflows in place with production bibles that define every aspect of their production standards from color values, font sizes, and codecs to audio standards. My list of about 150 clients has about 15 different video and audio standards and every one of them has a design bible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rick

Im normally working on web sites & front end development. I wanted to try something new with the logos I create and add a custom logo animation on their website. So ultimately I am trying to find a compatible way, if any, to try and acheive that.

I also heard to use Premier Pro so I will check that out and see if that can solve the problem. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The best way to create something fancy for a website is to use Adobe Animate. If you want to use After Effects all layers should be vector or text and you need a 3rd Party tool called Bodymovin. Fortunately, it is Free. You have to read the instructions and make sure you follow everything to get a reasonable file size and good quality.

The last thing you want to do is export a movie file with an alpha channel. A ProRez 444 file unusable on a website and the file size is huge because it is lossless. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Media Encoder, use format: QuickTime, and Apple ProRes 4444 alpha preset

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Life saving thank you that worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines