• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I reverse the order of vertices in a shape?

New Here ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to make a morph from a shape (circle) to a letter ("S"), but vertices are made counterclockwise when the shape is created from a text, while clockwise in normal shape, so the morph looks weired. How can I solve this problem?

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

For morphing animations like that I would use Illustrator to set up the morph. You have a lot more control, it takes only a few minutes, and you can do things using AI that would take days to animate if you tried setting keyframes for a path. Here are two tutorials I did years ago. I've been using this technique since you could set up blends in Illustrator and expand them to layers.

If you don't want to do that try changing the first vertex, pick a portion that has a straight line and open,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For morphing animations like that I would use Illustrator to set up the morph. You have a lot more control, it takes only a few minutes, and you can do things using AI that would take days to animate if you tried setting keyframes for a path. Here are two tutorials I did years ago. I've been using this technique since you could set up blends in Illustrator and expand them to layers.

If you don't want to do that try changing the first vertex, pick a portion that has a straight line and open, then close the path. You might even just select the path then cut it and paste it right back. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your advice. Your method with illustrator is impressive, but it takes a little too much for me since I modify the duration or something again and again after I make images of morph.

And, the second way, which cuts ane reconnects the path, doesn't work. The first vertex is automatically moved to the counterclockwise side of the path I cut, and when I change the first vertex, the counterclockwise side of the path is automatically reconnected.

Eventually, when I was trying your AI method, I found that the direction was turned correct after copying the path from AE to AI and copying it again from AI to AE. This way seems to me most simple and quick for now. Anyway, again I appreciate your idea and help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captura de pantalla 2020-05-26 a la(s) 11.36.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting the first vertex on an open path completely changes the path.

Set Vertex.gif

The only way I know of to set the first vertex of an open path to the other end of the line is to copy the path and paste it to a motion path, then time reverse the keyframes using the Keyframe Assistant, then copy the motion path and paste it to the vector path. You will get a position shift when you do but the shape will be the same except it will be out of position.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for my lack of information. I am trying on closed path of letter. (I made the shape made by converting text to shape) I can change the first vertex but cannot change the vertex direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines