• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get precise speed ramping in after effects

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So in Adobe premiere you can see the percentage of what your speed ramping example(120 frames to 24 is 20%). If I interpolate footage to 23.976 from a 120 it's going to be in slow motion but how do I speed the footage back to 23.976 precisely in after effects it's really annoying and would love to know a fix to this. 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the Timewarp effect allows to dial in exact framerate values and otherwise it's merely a matter of some simple expression math or having a look at the info palette and frame readouts. Not sure what else you need.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't mean that so you know how you speed ramp with time remapping. How do you precisely speed ramp it to real time or otherwise 23.976. In premier when you enable time remapping you can see percentages to see how fast your speed ramping. So I can speed ramp it to slow motion to 20% then back to 100% smoothly in premier I would to do the same in after effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do something similar on After Effects By changing the frame rate of the footage, example if you have 60 FPS footage and you want to put it inside a 30FPS composition and you want to be sure this footage Run 50% slower (30FPS)

you can right clock on the footage that goes to interpret footage/main

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 6.58.42 PM.png

Then Change the frame rate to the frame rate you want. in the case, you explain you simply set the frame rate to 23.976

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 7.00.44 PM.png

and I case you want to use the same footage at 2 different frame-rate speed you can simply duplicate inside the project window

another way is by stretch the video time from the timeline 

check the GIF below

Jan-24-2021 19-13-55.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't mean that so you know how you speed ramp with time remapping. How do you precisely speed ramp it to real time or otherwise 23.976. In premier when you enable time remapping you can see percentages to see how fast your speed ramping. So I can speed ramp it to slow motion to 20% then back to 100% smoothly in premier I would to do the same in after effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro makes this easier to do in its Timeline mainly because the Clip Boundary extends or trims with the speed change.

I frequently copy and paste clips from my AE Comp to a PR Sequence, make the Speed Change in PR, and then copy and paste back.  You have to save the Premiere Pro project, but you can keep it around for future speed change adjustments or delete it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ramp playback speed up and down in After Effects all the time. You do it in the timeline, not in file interpolation.

The shift key + some handle dragging while repositioning pairs of Time remapping in the Graph Editor is all you need, and it's a lot easier to get nice ramps than it is in Premiere Pro. If you check the speed graph you get an indication of the speed. The start and end of this clip are at 1 second per second, the middle section is at .2 seconds per second (20%). The first screenshot shows a quick deceleration to a pretty flat 20%, the second screenshot shows a more gradual slow down to the 20% speed. 

Screenshot_2021-01-24 18.59.30_PPPZxp.png

Screenshot_2021-01-24 19.00.34_9jM5gd.png

If you want to get absolutely precise about the speed changes just adjust the position distance between the keyframes and use a little math. If the middle section is  2 seconds in real-time and you want to slow it down to precisely 50% or half-speed, then grab the last two keyframes and move them so the distance between 2 and 3 is 4 seconds instead of 2. You've got an exact 50% or 2X real-time playback of the clip. 25% would be 8 seconds between keyframes.  Add a speed ramp and you'll need to drag the keyframes a little bit farther apart. 

Usually, when I'm changing speed, it is more time than the speed that I'm looking for. It takes a bit of time to get used to editing time in the graph editor, but once the technique clicks in your head it's as easy as can be. I can make any event in any shot happen at the exact frame it needs to happen in just a couple of clicks and drags. There's not much to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Rikard, for me this is the correct answer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines