Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PC vs Mac for video editing

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Apologizing in advance if this was posted before (I'm sure it has been, but I spent quite some time searching and haven't found what I'm looking for).

I recently completed a video editing course to help me advance my editing skills using premiere pro and after effects. Taking on small, freelance jobs for now but had to turn some down because my PC is way too old (about 7 years) to handle anything more than very basic editing. I'm searching and researching everywhere possible for the best computer to suit my needs, and while I know there are MANY different options and opinions out there, right now it all boils down to 2 things for me: switch to Mac, or stay with a PC? My computer needs are pretty simple; right now, my programs either keep freezing or crashing, render times for any sort of effect are excruciatingly long, and exporting is a nightmare! I need a computer that simply won't do all that stuff. I need it to work without crashing, have minimal render times and allow me to rotoscope on AE without waiting an hour for it to render each frame (I'm not exaggerating).

I was told by a family friend who owns a video editing company that Mac is the way to go-they last a long time (he has his for 10 years), Apple offers free support and they're basically built for creatives. On the flip side, I'm seeing posts from other professionals here that they switched out their Macs for a custom-built PC and are very happy with the results. I've looked into different PC builds, but it seems that parts are hard to come by cheap these days. Mac seems to be the easiest option, but is it the best? I want to do this right and I'm willing to spend up to $2500 for a machine that will do what I need it to do for a long time.

For those of you still reading my ramblings, (my sincerest thanks to you, and) what are your thoughts? 

TOPICS
Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This topic often starts wars, so as somebody who uses both platforms regularly, I'll try to be as non-partisan as possible.

Personally, I prefer Mac OS over Windows, and the majority of clients I work with are primarily Mac based, so its just easier to work in the same environment.

PC Positives

More power for your money

Larger range of hardware to choose from

Greater ability to customise hardware, including overclocking etc

PC Negatives

An OS built to accomodate endless hardware configurations is inherently less robust.  I've always had more stability issues on Windows hardware compared to Mac.

Greater range of configuration options means more things can go wrong

Security - viruses and malware are more common in Windows than Mac environments.

Mac Positives

Premium build quality - every Mac I've owned has lasted more than a decade. (I'm typing this on a 2013 iMac that I still use for broadcast TV production every week.)

Unparallelled after sales service, especially if you have access to an Apple store

Industry standard - there are more Macs in the film/video industry

System stability - Apple's limited range of hardware options means the OS is better tailored for specific configurations.

Mac Negatives

More expensive - there is no low-budget Mac market like there is in the PC world.  (But you get what you pay for.)

A more contained ecosystem - occasional issues with file exchange/distribution to PCs

Less upgradeable and serviceable than build-your-own PC systems

For my money, Macs give me less trouble and more longevity, which justifies the extra cost.  That's my 2 cents.

Now let the wars begin!  🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I personally recommend a Windows PC if you purchase a new machine now. The reason is it takes more time to optimize and stabilize After Effects on M1 Mac. Adobe guys would know when it happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You wouldn't get anything here except an opinion, no right or wrong. My opinion: you get the pros of both Mac and Windows (mentioned above) if you order a custom build from a reputable builder. My experience with PugetSystems.com is so good I don't ever want to buy from anyone else. They ask each customer what their apps and workflow is. And they build something for you without upselling. At the same time they are respected for their rigorous hardware testing and they have high quality standards for components. Hardware support for life. No, I don't work for them. But their pages and pages of reviews say also people use the machines for decades.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Seconding Andrew Yoole's sentiments about clients and Macs.  As someone who has only ever used PCs (mainly because I really struggled when I had a Mac in a workplace 20 years ago) I know my way around Windows.  I do wonder how much simpler crossworking would have been if I'd forced myself to get used to Mac OS.

My opinion is largely prejudiced because I've been learning Unity and got to the app making stage only to discover I cannot produce apps for iOS without access to a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines