• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Audition automatic dithering

Contributor ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Audition CS6. I use Effects >Generate Tones to create tones that I use for audio bench testing. I discovered that Audition automatically dithers all 16 bit generated tones rather than generating them as non-dithered tones. I had to use another DAW software program to generate non-dithered 16 bit test tones. I could not find any menu in Audition to generate 16 bit non-dithered tones. I assume that is because no one recording or mastering music tracks in 16 bits would do that in an un-dithered format. My question is, does Audition also automatically dither 24 bit music tracks that are recorded and tones that are generated, or does Audition only dither 16 bit music tracks that are recorded and tones that are generated?

Thanks,

John Johnson

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Hi John,

Nothing _should_ have changed (that I recall) around this area between CS6 and current CC versions. I did a quick test on both CS6 (Mac) and CC 2017.1.0 (also Mac).

For the purposes of analysis, I think it is helpful to view the vertical (amplitude) ruler in Sample Values as opposed to dB.

Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 12.42.40 PM.png

Also, the Amplitude Statistics Panel can give an accurate measurement of the number of PCM bits used, even when opening a file that is in a 32-bit float container (see "Measured Bit Depth").

Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 12.49.24 PM.png

I think what

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"And neither are any of us wrong.",

I was right and you were wrong. Adobe Audition is defective.

"Actually it was you that did the bad-mouthing"

Well, what about this that you said, "That really is the end of the discussion - you're plain wrong."

I was right and you were wrong. Adobe Audition is defective.

End of discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Audition CS6 works as intended. It is in no way defective. It may not work the way you would like but, as you have already said, you are going to use another audio editor instead so it won't affect you any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ryclark says, "Audtion CS6  . .  is in no way defective". In messages above, CharlesVW said, "I think what you're looking for is to get a signal that is quantized to 16-bit or 24-bit PCM without dither.  I tried this out a few ways, and I think I came across what I would agree with is a bug." . . . "Upon saving, or even File > Save As... and checking that dither was disabled, I noticed that the resulting file still seemed to be dithered. I would consider this a bug when doing File > Save As... and explicitly checking that dither was disabled." . . ."When you submit the bug report to the programmers . .  That's me." . . . " "Thanks for reporting the issue John."

I tried the 32 bit suggestion, and it still did not work properly, as I showed spectra in one of my messages above.

So, Audition CS6 is defective. What the hell is going on with you guys? Do you all work on the same planet?

Massive incompetence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could I get a courtesy copy of Adobe Audition CC 2017 when the bug is fixed? I will check it out to make sure everything is working, and post a message about it here.

Thanks,

John Johnson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/No+Friggin+Screen+Name  wrote

Could I get a courtesy copy of Adobe Audition CC 2017 when the bug is fixed? I will check it out to make sure everything is working, and post a message about it here.

Thanks,

John Johnson

http://www.animatedimages.org/data/media/1309/animated-laughing-image-0187.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not as funny as what I am going to have to say about Adobe Audition in my article. Defective, defective, defective.

Now, that IS funny.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, your 'defective' article will undoubtedly be funny. Problem is, I've tried looking you up by your given name, and I can find no reference to anything even vaguely relating anybody with your name and audio. Are you publishing under a pseudonym? May we know what it is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only people who won't be laughing are Adobe forum moderators (and of course, their bosses).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will I be able to do a one time purchase of Adobe Audition once the program defects have been corrected? I don't want to subscribe to the CC.

John Johnson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6, which is extremely unlikely to ever receive any further updates/patches, is the last version that was and is ever likely to be available to purchase.

I see you have marked your own, somewhat trolling reply, as the best answer.  There is a certain irony in the fact that you choose to wholly disregard the completely accurate advice you were offered, claiming that "Audition is defective", then claim the factual treatment you received was "reprehensible", and then say your answer is the "best".

??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The advice you offered did not work, so it was not completely accurate in any sense of the word. It produced errors in the spectra. You went from telling me that you didn't believe me to saying that I was wrong and that it was end of discussion, and then admitted that there is a bug in the dithering process, which is what I was claiming in the first place. It is shameful for the Audition forum monitors to treat an Adobe customer this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have decided that we should just put the previous discussion in the past and move forward. I tried other software and it does not do what I need. Audition has the best dithering that I have encountered. So, what I propose is that I will just post spectra that I think are incorrect, and you can decide if Audition is indeed creating incorrect spectra and put them into a bug report. All I ask is that you let me know when they have been corrected. I will then download Audition in a trial form, and if everything is working correctly, I will resubscribe to 2017 CC, hopefully with the problems in the other programs having been corrected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines