• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS6 E Bridge Slow to load thumbnails, 'building criteria'

Participant ,
Jun 17, 2012 Jun 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Bridge opens on the folder it was last opened/closed in, it takes a long time to load, constantly 'building criteria' as if all the images are newly imported. I've searched the forums, have tried all the tweaks and settings, but it's still iceberg slow.  Bridge CS5 is noticeably quicker, as if the cache info is being read immediately. CS6 is behaving as if the cache file has been deleted. It hasn't. I have tried the "flush the cache" to see if maybe it's corrupted. No joy. I have boosted cache size. No joy. I've compacted, automatically exported cache to folders, everything... Nothing seems to fix the snail slowness.

All Adobe updates have been applied.

i7-2600s @2.80GHz

8 gb DDRw ram

Nvidia GeForce GT420 1gb DDR3

6+ tbs hd space.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 206 Replies 206
Participant ,
Dec 10, 2012 Dec 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omke Oudeman wrote:

The problem is that when you experience something that most others don't this is the conclusion you will get from Adobe or Tech support. It is annoying to hear and very frustrating but also the most obvious conclusion.

Don't know what files you have the Content panel pointed to and if you have some hidden cache files form previous versions still showing. I don't use the write cache to folder option active and have mainly DNG, PSD, Tiff and Jpeg some PDF and .mov files and have absolutely not the problem you refer to.

There are other forums/postings about this problem, with computers that have more 'oomph' than mine. And I personally know someone else using CS6, and he thought it was normal for Bridge to be that creepingly slow, and never questioned it. That makes me wonder how many others are just accepting it as the norm.

As for what kind of files: jpg and CR2/RAW files only, maybe an occasional PNG or DNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2014 Jan 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Sandra,

You may never look at your posts again concerning the issue of your CS6-Bridge running slow. I too am experiencing the same problem a year and 6-months later. I am sorry many of those who responded to you did not have the answer to the problem that plaques you and I. I have read all of your posts compleletly hoping to find that someone had the smarts to solve this problem.   "Well, I am that person!" I took the time to solve what Adobe needed to tell end users. Adobe should compensate me for this answer.

Here it goes.

You may not like the solution, because it stinks and reverts me and my super computer back to the 32-bit days, however it works!

1.Go to the icon that start the CS6 Bridge on you computer. Preferablely, use the icon under the "Start Button" in the "All Programs" tray. Use this icon because it will effect all other icons no matter where they are located on your computer.

2. "Right Click" on the icon and travel down and click on "Properties". This box will appear.CS6Bridge.JPG Select the "Compatibility" tab and set up the "Compatibility mode" using the criteria in the image I placed in this message. Finish by clicking on the "APPLY" button and now, the CS6 Bridge should respond like your older ones. Let me know if this helps.

Cheers

Marc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 03, 2014 Jan 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As much as I hate to be the bearer of bad news, I did this already. More than once. Even after deactivations, uninstalls, reinstalls, reactivations, I did this.

Didn't change a thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2014 Jan 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sandra,

I am so sorry to hear this. I am usually the one who is standing in your shoes. I can't count anymore how many times tech support of large software corporations stated to me, "We have never had that problem before." In this case, I too, was very frustrated with the loss of speed and the continuing flag in the upper left corner of Bridge saying "Program not Responding". My quick fix was to rely on CS4 Bridge until I could solve the issue. However, with the purchase of my Canon T5i's I lost the ability of reading RAW files in CS4 (another thorn I have with Adobe), thus beginning again my quest of solving this problem. This is when I found your posts.  After reading your posts and the many useless responses, I was so excited when I discovered a work-a-round that worked for me. I thought for sure it would be a cure for you as well. Sorry, I was presumptuous. I would like to help you more, but I don't want to be a bother. I will be back when I have more to share with you. Thanks, and Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2014 Sep 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution worked perfectly for me!!  THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just wanted to say thanks - that has solved my slowdown problems. Bridge was basically useless to me recently as it kept sitting there for ages deciding whether to carry on or not. Compatibility has got me back working again. THANKS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2012 Dec 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues as SandraChung with my 8 core Xeon, 18gb RAM, Win 7 Pro PC.  I also have a newer MBP with the same issues.  ("Same issue" defined as: I read every single thread, unlike some who have posted here, and can relate with nearly every single issue.  Lucky for me, I found this forum topic before uninstalling, deactivating, etc multiple times.  Thanks Sandra.)

I should add, that 4 of my 8 processing cores are at 25-50% usage while the thumbnail extractions are being performed.

If this issue stems from layered tiffs (checking to see if layers have been updated each time a folder is opened)... brilliant.

What's next... Adobe update manager searches for updates to the entire CS suite after each mouse click (once again, using unnecessary resources)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 04, 2013 Jan 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to "Compact Cache" to optimize the cache performance? You can find the option "Compact Cache" in Preferences dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 05, 2013 Jan 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, did that. Even purged the cache, then went back and visited all the folders/directories, waited for them to build new thumbnails/cache, closed Bridge. Opened Bridge, and again, it was slow. 

I have also doubled the ram in my machine (from 8gb DDR3 to 16GB DDR3) .  I will be purging the cache,  deactivating, uninstalling,  reinstalling, reactiving and see if that 'fixes' the problem.... but not going to hold my breath. Look good in blue, but don't think I would look good cadaver blue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2013 Jan 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problems with the spinning cache (or whatever) circles; I can no longer even navigate my folders in Bridge. Useless. I was actually thinking I could use Bridge to organize and keep track of my photos. I think Adobe has bitten off more than it can chew. I wanted an alternative to iPhoto and Aperture that didn't make umpteen hard-to-find duplicates of my files. No good. Maybe I'll try Picasa again. Adobe CS6 continues to disappoint. (I work in Adobe products at least 8 hours a day...they seriously need some competition.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 09, 2013 Jan 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the deactivate/uninstall/reinstall, even with the doubled memory, disabled malware scanner, anti-virus scanner, had no affect on the slowness. I also read on a different forum that someone is having same problem, and their computer has 24gb and it's a high performance machine.

Oh well, I guess there's always AfterShotPro.  😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problems with the spinning cache (or whatever) circles; I can no longer even navigate my folders in Bridge. Useless.

No, you don't have the same problem because this thread is all about what seems to be a Windows specific problem for some users. And since you name iPhoto and Aperture you must be on a Mac.

The behavior you see is either due to a false cache or preferences. If you restart Bridge holding down option key and from the menu choose both reset preferences and purge entire cache there is a good chance you can use Bridge as expected.

Bridge acts as a file browser reflecting the contents of your folders while iPhoto and Aperture both by default in a central library file in your 'pictures' folder and hides also the content of this folder. You can reveal the content by using right mouse click on this library file and choose show package content. But messing around in those content is not the best thing to do.

I was actually thinking I could use Bridge to organize and keep track of my photos.

You can do so but keep in mind that Bridge might present itself also as a Digital Asset Manager it is not that good in it as a dedicated DAM like Canto Cumulus or iView MediaPro that are designed for running an image archive (but a dedicated DAM lacks also features Bridge is very good at).

If you work with very large numbers and need stability for this archive you better look for an alternative. If you want to manage your new files, rename, add metadata, sort and prepare for editing in PS Bridge is the right and very useful application for you.

If you have 50 K or more of archive files you might think about adding a real DAM to your workflow, together with Bridge this can be very powerful tools

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I beg to differ, this is the same problem, and it's cross platform issue, not just windows issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I beg to differ, this is the same problem, and it's cross platform issue, not just windows issue.

In this case I doubt it but we have to wait for reposting if the given options would help him. But to me it seems cache related and not the dreadful slowness you do experience. And I heard a few others with Windows having same performance slowness.

But until we hear from him we have to wait. Given your nice definition of the color blue we best keep on breathing normal...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well - I have 24Gb of RAM and a very high level pro Windows workstation, (Win7/64, Pro) where everything works perfectly except... Bridge cache. Yes its been an ongoing issue for many years now in my case since CS4.

In fact I think the previously drawn cache is there and fine, but there's some bug not letting bridge access it like it should. The close and re-open trick points to this:  closing a spinning/stuck cache and re-opening makes even the largest cach ping into immediate view, so its obviously all present and correct, but something is not allowing Bridge to recognise that when you switch folders. (most of the time)

It would probably take Adobe's engineers a moment to fix this, if they could be bothered, but they'd rather tell us all to de-install, re-install, delete and rebuild cache, or blame our machines, etc, than recognise there is a problem and fix it.

I sold my Adobe stock/shares this year. It went nowhere in 8 years. Good people work there, but their customer care thinks everyone is a simpleton, who has done or installed something wrong, and ignores genuine problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS is RAM dependant and Bridge is processor dependant so lots of ram does little for performance.  I have a 2 year old i7 processor that has a passmark score of 5009.  I do not see any of the problems you descirbe.  How does your processor rate if you type in numer in this link?  http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

Also, where do you have the cache?  If external that can be a problem.  I have it on internal that is seperate physical disk from program and OS.

Win7 64bit with 8 gigs ram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the problem as described at the beginning of this thread - Windows 7, 64 bit.  I fixed it by noting the path to the cache, closing Bridge, deleting the cache folder (actually I cut and pasted it in case I needed it again, which I didn't) and re-startiing Bridge.  Bridge then created a fresh cache and everything was back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is precisely the problem here. Either Adobe or someone here who has not read the full thread thinks they are being helpful by suggesting that whomever's computer is at fault. Wrongly placed cache, poor memory, corrupted files, and now: poor processor.  Believe me (us) it is EMPHATICALLY NOT a problem with our individual computers!  It is a fault with Bridge.

My computers (3 of them) are extremely powerful latest generation machines that can chew through *anything* thrown at them in a second. The problem is with  Bridge cache access. Can the multiple voices here be any clearer??!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

< thumbs up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

narikin wrote:

This is precisely the problem here. Either Adobe or someone here who has not read the full thread thinks they are being helpful by suggesting that whomever's computer is at fault. Wrongly placed cache, poor memory, corrupted files, and now: poor processor.  Believe me (us) it is EMPHATICALLY NOT a problem with our individual computers!  It is a fault with Bridge.

My computers (3 of them) are extremely powerful latest generation machines that can chew through *anything* thrown at them in a second. The problem is with  Bridge cache access. Can the multiple voices here be any clearer??!!

If this was the case then rather than a few individuals there would be huge numbers of users with the problem, and there would be a massive blitze of users posting.  I know that the users with this problem are extremely frustrated, but as I have said before, if Adobe can not reproduce it on their computers that can not write a patch. 

When I see problems like this it is usually not the computer at fault.  It is a conflict somewhere with other programs.  I know this is hard to swallow, but look at the facts.  You have better computers than most, but the vast majority of the users do not see the problem.  Rather than 6 users it would be dozens of users posting with the problem.  Either that or the others have problems and just think it is normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Y wrote:

You have better computers than most, but the vast majority of the users do not see the problem.  Rather than 6 users it would be dozens of users posting with the problem.  Either that or the others have problems and just think it is normal.

Actually, I did a google search, and you should see how many other threads/forums have this problem listed and discussed. And I have spoken to people face to face, and yes, they think this Bridge slow crawl is normal, or blamed their older machines.

For what this software cost, this problem should be looked into.

1 person reporting it is an instance, 2 is a coincidence, 3 is a pattern, and there are more than 3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 10, 2013 Jan 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SandraChung wrote:

1 person reporting it is an instance, 2 is a coincidence, 3 is a pattern, and there are more than 3.

A good way to get this looked at might be to log it on photoshop.com, post the link here, and get people to +1 it. Adobe have staff monitoring problems logged this way, and a significant number of people should trigger some action.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

narikin wrote:

It would probably take Adobe's engineers a moment to fix this, if they could be bothered, but they'd rather tell us all to de-install, re-install, delete and rebuild cache, or blame our machines, etc, than recognise there is a problem and fix it.

I could and would accept the slowness if the Beta version, Supestition, Bridge was just as slow. Or if CS5 Bridge was just as slow. But neither were.  The only difference between CS6 official and Beta is just that, CS6 official and Beta. No other program, hardware (other than memory this past Saturday) antivirus etc etc was added. And I have done the purging, deactivate, uninstall, reinstall, reactivate, rebuild cache 3 times now.

As for my CPU Score: Intel Core i7-2600S @ 2.80GHz - Score 7344.

My Cache is on C:\Users\Sandra\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Bridge CS6\Cache which is not an external drive but the main sytem drive.

Win7 Pro 64bit 16gb ram (formerly 8gb ram)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2013 Jan 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I solved my annoyances with Bridge...by finally spending some time with Google's (free) Picasa. It has everything I need and runs fine. Direct access to source folders, keywords and galleries, plays movies...the works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2013 Jan 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just went to the adobe download page and updated my version of Bridge to v.5.0.2.4 and suddenly this whole frustrating problem stopped. Image that. I can use it now without resorting to all the profanity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines