• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Some images are rotated in sequence of similars?

Participant ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am using Bridge 11.1 and noticed that in a sequence of similarly shot images in portrait mode, several show up in landscape orientation. While I can change these manually, I'd prefer to know why this is happening and wonder how can I avoid this from happening?

Thank you for your help.

TOPICS
Performance , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

That's pretty much up to your camera, it's responsible to set how the image orientation is set.

When I use my DSLR (Canon 7Dm2), if I'm shooting almost straight down, it tends to give the image a 180° flip. When I shoot with my iPhone (12Pro), there are also some angles that tend to flip. When I'm holding either camera "normal," it does an accurate job of letting Bridge or Lightroom Classic what position it was taken in. 

Fortunately it's easy to select the ("what in the heck was the camera

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Yes, facing down seems to be the most problematic for the camera sensors to constantly register. 

Several years ago I was photographic slides to digitizing them, I had my camera (the Canon 7Dm2) facing almost dead-on down. There was no consistency in how they were recorded landscape or portrait. I ended up tilting my lightbox and camera to avoid the issue altogether. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's pretty much up to your camera, it's responsible to set how the image orientation is set.

When I use my DSLR (Canon 7Dm2), if I'm shooting almost straight down, it tends to give the image a 180° flip. When I shoot with my iPhone (12Pro), there are also some angles that tend to flip. When I'm holding either camera "normal," it does an accurate job of letting Bridge or Lightroom Classic what position it was taken in. 

Fortunately it's easy to select the ("what in the heck was the camera thinking") images and Command/Control-[ (or) ] to set them in the proper mode. 

But again, this is the camera's fault, not Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much Gary.  What I found stange is that all the images are shot exactly the same way, portrait  orientation, though I was facing my camera (Nikon D850) down for a flay lat composition as you described. Theoretically they should all appear the same way. I appreciate your repsonse and will change my camera settings and hopefully that will correct the issue. Many thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, facing down seems to be the most problematic for the camera sensors to constantly register. 

Several years ago I was photographic slides to digitizing them, I had my camera (the Canon 7Dm2) facing almost dead-on down. There was no consistency in how they were recorded landscape or portrait. I ended up tilting my lightbox and camera to avoid the issue altogether. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Apparently my settings are correct and your description  of the sensors is right. The sensors sometimes get a little confused when the camera is facing down apparently. I thought it was something I was doing incorrectly. At least now I know I can upright them in Bridge easily enough. Many thanks for helping me understand this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines