• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Thumbnails continually rebuilding

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got an update for ACR (CS6) today and installed it. Suddenly, EVERY time I open Bridge or return to it from another page, it starts thumbnailing my images from scratch. We're talking hundreds of images in this folder. This is new. It did not do this yesterday. What is going on and how do I fix it.  If I leave bridge (even if it's still open) and I go back to Bridge, it starts doing the thumbnail extractions all over again and THEN starts on the full size extractions all over again. The result is that all of Photoshop has slowed to a crawl. This is the second time in a month that an update has caused new problems that did not exist before. It's beyond frustrating.

that's cute. I just sat through 10 minutes of full size extractions counting down. it got to zero and STARTED AGAIN. Okay, guys, what's going on? I have 50 gb of images from Asia I need to process. I truly don't have time for this. And the thumbnail extractions just started over again.

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 576 Replies 576
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2012 Dec 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting...no reply button shows up on my android phone...had to wait to get bk to my office. Anyway, Noel, someone very early in this entire discussion said it's not possible to drop back. That was one of my very first questions. I said, how do I drop bk to version 7.2. I don't see that reply in this string.  So how exactly is that done. If it's a matter of uninstalling and reinstalling photoshop...no. I have years of preferences and fixes for various annoying stuff that would be lost. I just don't have the time or the desire. And no, I don't have an extremely new camera. My newest camera is the Rebel T3i (I think that's the designation). It's not the newest but the one before that. It was fine with 7.2. 

Or are you saying I wd have to drop bk to 7.0.  I think that would be okay. Can you tell me if the Rebel T3i is covered by 7.0.  But mostly, how do I get bk to a previous version of raw?

I just don't understand how a bug like this can happen. And from what at least one person says, I'm not the only person who has encountered it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ycardozo wrote:

... you had this problem with raw files? what was causing it? how did you fix it.  i'm happy (i guess) to see i'm not the only on earth who has had this problem. what exactly went wrong. it began for me with the latest raw update to 7.3

I never determined the cause for certain -- fixed it in my then-current working folders first by regressing to acr 7.0 then by unchecking Generate Monitor-Size Previews. Didn't have time to go back and forth to ascertain that I could recreate problem by checking Generate Monitor-Size Preview then resolve it by unchecking same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I am not experiencing this problem (or any other, so far) with 7.3. I used Bridge to upload 500 images from yesterday's shoot and rechecked them as I read this thread. No start from scratch. The toilet bowl whirled for a couple of seconds then stopped with the right numbers for this file.

I check files from much earlier this year and same thing. No problems,

Win 64

AMD system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you go bk to 7.0?  I was told this can't be done...actually I asked about going bk to 7.2.   Can this be done and if so how.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 15, 2012 Dec 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I recall, I kept the original Camera Raw.8bi file from 7.0 and replaced the 7.1 version with that one from 7.0.

I think one could revert by reinstalling PS CS6 then updating acr only to 7.2.  Or perhaps someone could send you the 7.2 Camera Raw.8bi files (32 and 64-bit versions) and you could try replacing 7.3 with them.  Don't know how this would interact with lens corrections data that was updated with 7.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ycardozo wrote:

How did you go bk to 7.0?  I was told this can't be done...actually I asked about going bk to 7.2.   Can this be done and if so how.

I keep all the Camera Raw.8bi files and copy the older version back after testing the new release.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats>dir
Volume in drive C is C - NoelC4 SSD
Volume Serial Number is 00ED-C11E

Directory of C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats

12/13/2012  07:41 AM    <DIR>          .
12/13/2012  07:41 AM    <DIR>          ..
02/09/2012  04:02 AM        23,220,080 Camera Raw.8bi
02/09/2012  04:02 AM        23,220,080 Camera Raw.8bi_7.0
05/16/2012  10:05 AM        24,639,896 Camera Raw.8bi_7.1
04/25/2012  12:25 AM        23,401,328 Camera Raw.8bi_7.1RC
09/19/2012  02:15 PM        23,786,584 Camera Raw.8bi_7.2
08/27/2012  11:11 PM        23,777,984 Camera Raw.8bi_7.2RC
11/28/2012  08:28 PM        24,392,344 Camera Raw.8bi_7.3
11/09/2012  07:39 AM        24,083,096 Camera Raw.8bi_7.3RC

8 File(s)    190,521,392 bytes
               2 Dir(s)  1,008,997,855,232 bytes free

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats>dir
Volume in drive C is C - NoelC4 SSD
Volume Serial Number is 00ED-C11E

Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats

12/13/2012  07:41 AM    <DIR>          .
12/13/2012  07:41 AM    <DIR>          ..
02/09/2012  03:20 AM        20,904,304 Camera Raw.8bi
02/09/2012  03:20 AM        20,904,304 Camera Raw.8bi_7.0
05/16/2012  09:37 AM        22,285,208 Camera Raw.8bi_7.1
04/24/2012  11:22 PM        21,053,808 Camera Raw.8bi_7.1RC
09/19/2012  02:15 PM        21,372,504 Camera Raw.8bi_7.2
08/27/2012  11:13 PM        21,364,416 Camera Raw.8bi_7.2RC
11/28/2012  08:28 PM        21,974,168 Camera Raw.8bi_7.3
11/09/2012  07:42 AM        21,678,744 Camera Raw.8bi_7.3RC

8 File(s)    171,537,456 bytes
               2 Dir(s)  1,008,997,855,232 bytes free

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting that you can save all those in that folder. My folder has only the latest. If I want to save a RAW, I have to download it manually and save it in my D/L folder on a separate drive. Auto updates do not save earlier versions. With the Cloud, I don't know if you can do what you do.

So, how do you do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few questions for Noel:

I see 8bi files marked, for instance 7.3 and something earlier that is 7.3 RC.  what is the difference. You mention lens corrections...for what lenses?  Also, since I didn't save the previous camera raw updates, how would I go about getting the one for 7.2 and how exactly would i proceed if i can get the previous 8bi file? thks everyone for your suggestions and help, btw. I do not want to uninstall and reinstall photoshop. I have too many actions, special filters, preferences and adjustments to go through all of that again. it would take days. i think just replacing the 7.3 8bi file with the 7.2 is the answer...if i can get the 7.2 file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ycardozo wrote:

I see 8bi files marked, for instance 7.3 and something earlier that is 7.3 RC.

The versions named ...RC are those released by Adobe Labs as beta pre-release versions for testing ("RC" standing for "Release Candidate").  Adobe always releases an early copy of each new version to help folks with brand new cameras who are waiting anxiously for support.  I test these when they become available, and try to provide feedback early to the Adobe folks for problems I find.  They don't always immediately act on that information.

Whenever I receive an update, thinking ahead, I copy it manually to a file named for its version.  Since I have changed the file extensions from the standard .8bi, Photoshop does not enumerate the copies as plug-ins.

ycardozo wrote:

You mention lens corrections...for what lenses?

Did I mention lens corrections?  My knowledge of how Adobe manages lens correction databases is limited, but my understanding is that they're accumulated by Adobe and made available online somewhere, and the software knows how to go download them behind the scenes when needed.  I imagine the lenses that have been profiled are substantially all of those available for name brand dSLRs.

ycardozo wrote:

how would I go about getting the one for 7.2 and how exactly would i proceed if i can get the previous 8bi file?

You can download the zip file corresponding to prior releases and dig down inside to the large files that are delivered by the update.  They aren't named Camera Raw.8bi, but you can figure out what they are from the size and which is x86 vs. x64 from the folder tree used to embed them.

For example, if you were to want the Camera Raw 7.2 distribution for PC, you could download this file:

http://swupdl.adobe.com/updates/oobe/aam20/win/PhotoshopCameraRaw7-7.0/7.2.82/Setup.zip

Then open it in Windows Explorer, and traverse the internal structure (opening nested zip files) until you find a file named 1002.  Copy that to the 64 bit location I identified above as Camera Raw.8bi_7.2, then you'll have it available to copy to Camera Raw.8bi whenever you want a copy of 7.2.

Note that if you're using 64 bit Windows you'll need to drill into the .zip file TWICE, once for the 64 bit version (named above) and once for the 32 bit version, which is named 1003 in that same file.

-Noel 

P.S., Note that this is for Windows.  I assume (but have not verified) that there is a similar process that could be followed for OSX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi

but i haven't a backup

is there a way to downgrande?

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1873991?sr=inbox

thanks Noel!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ycardozo, have you applied file info from Bridge to your raw files? 

I'm noticing some of this repeated regeneration of thumbnails and previews for some folders.  It seems ot be only for folders that contain raw files that have two attributes: they have been edited with camera raw, and they have had Bridge-applied File Info (right click > File Info). 

Initial indication is that changing the IPTC file info Copyright Notice data triggers the problem.  I need to do some more experimenting.  I'd like to obtain a copy of the 7.2 Camera Raw.8bi files (64- and 32-bit win) to test differences.  Perhaps I can get these from Noel C.  

I use xmp files for camera raw settings edit data, and the xmp files also hold File Info.  Some time back around cs3 or cs4 time there were interaction problems between the acr writing to xmp and file info writing to xmp.  Those conflicts I think are fixed by cs5 bridge, but the current acr 73.3 - Bridge problem may have tripped over some new conflict between these two xmp-updating processes.

I should start a thread in the Bridge forum for 'Bridge with acr7.3 repeated recaching raw files' and reference this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robert Shomler wrote:

I'd like to obtain a copy of the 7.2 Camera Raw.8bi files (64- and 32-bit win) to test differences.  Perhaps I can get these from Noel C.  

I may not legally be able to provide you with copies of parts of Adobe's licensed product, but I have provided instructions above for getting a copy yourself.  It's pretty easy, the plug-in payloads are the only two large files in the .zip contrainers.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Noel.  Just what I needed.  I  should make a habit of retaining these files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,

I saw your instructions and this is way, way, way above my ability. I can see myself grabbing the wrong file and truly, irrevocably messing up photoshop. You say the plug in payloads are the only two large files....but which is which. which of the two wd i use. i  have learned through truly horrible experience i shd not touch anything like this. I just downloaded the link and every single folder is dated sept, 19,  2012. I tried extracting the zips, messed that up a few times and still don't see anything called what you said and what I do see seems to be acr 7.0, not 7.2. I truly need someone to simply send me the appropriate file. This is driving me crazy and, frankly, it's not my fault. I installed the update in good faith, never expecting it to mess me up so badly in the middle of a mammath project with a close deadline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robert,

You are absolutely onto something. Yes, I  had applied file/info from Bridge to my files. And just to make sure that there may be some conflict with the metadata, I created a test folder which initially contained both the raw images and the xmp sidecar metadata files. They continually regenerated. When I deleted the metadata from the folder, the regeneration stopped.  Okay, you guys in Adobe, this seems to be the problem. Now we need a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and again, it should be repeated that i truly appreciate everyone's help, esp. the folks with adobe. i remember the world before television. i remember telephone party lines. think i'm getting a tad long at the tooth for all of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same boat. I remember WWII!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to replicate the problem myself and I need a bit more info.

Are all the files in the folder edited or only a few, maybe only one?

Is the copyright info put in later  or during upload?

I use Bridge to upload from a card reader and the copyright info is auto installed in xmp. I ran ACR corrections on a couple of images but not all. So far, no problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, I have a generic template with my information (name, contact info, copyright info including copyright symbol). I edit each day's shoot while on the road and apply the generic metadata template to all of the 'chosen' images. Once back in my office, I copy these images to my desktop computer and add additional information such as location and other individual data. At some point in all this, I also do the captions (the desription portion of the lst page of the metadata). I don't do ACR corrections on the road but wait until I am back in the office. So the particular folder I am having problems with have had all of this applied...ACR corrections, metadata info including copright info, etc.etc.).  The test folder I created with only 10 images and WITHOUT any metadata .xmp file are not regenerating.  I truly think you have hit upon the answer. Please, if you or anyone else successfully finds that 8bi 7.2 file, can you send it to me. I can supply you with my email address. I have tried to find it on that link w/o any success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think to replicate this try adding various information to the metadata (including copyright and include the copyright symbol for good measure since that has been suggested as a possible part of the problem). I really am interested to see what you turn up. btw, all the files in my problem folder are edited. and the copyright symbol was added on my laptop using cs5 but i did not do any acr correction in cs5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hudechrome said: I'm in the same boat. I remember WWII!

i am more than impressed. i barely understand any of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a struggle and it never ends. But I cope. I've spent many years in EE but as a HW, not SW person.

I looked at Noel's suggestions and unpacking and keeping track, without an express name for the file isn't for the everyone. I haven't looked so it may not be too bad.

I have a copy of the last file I uploaded from the card reader on another drive, which I did by dragging the folder from the reader directly to the drive, so there is no metadata in that location.

I'm going to make a test folder on my Edit drive, where I do all my work, and copy a few files to that folder then run a batch in ACR and add some metadata like Name, copyright location etc and see what happens.

I would expect to see this test folder replicate what you see and the original upload directly through Bridge to remain unchanged.

Stay tuned....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hudechrome wrote:

I looked at Noel's suggestions and unpacking and keeping track, without an express name for the file isn't for the everyone. I haven't looked so it may not be too bad.

Pertinent details quoted in color:

Then open it in Windows Explorer, and traverse the internal structure (opening nested zip files) until you find a file named 1002. Copy that to the 64 bit location I identified above as Camera Raw.8bi_7.2, then you'll have it available to copy to Camera Raw.8bi whenever you want a copy of 7.2.

Note that if you're using 64 bit Windows you'll need to drill into the .zip file TWICE, once for the 64 bit version (named above) and once for the 32 bit version, which is named 1003 in that same file.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, when I wrote that note, I couldn't go back a page to check out what you posted so I ran with what I remembered. What I meant by name is the actual name in that package. As you said there it is a number.

Just trying to say I've been there!

Thanks for the directions. I'm going to give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, I tried to obtain the 7.2 as you directed. It isn't quite as you said, there are a couple of extra steps in getting there, but the gist of the matter is once I got there, unzipped the file, I did not get an 8bi file, just 1002.

I did not leave it in the plug-ins folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines