• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.xmp files

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What changed in Bridge that .xmp files are not longer included in .raw ?

TOPICS
Camera RAW

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absoutley nothing changed in Bridge but you do need to make an adjustment in ACR of a raw file to generate an xmp file.

Simply, a raw file CANNOT be altered. However, to keep any adjustments you make in a raw file, the ACR application generates the xmp file (also known as a sidecar file) that contains all of the changes. when you subsequently open the raw image, ACR looks around and if there is an xmp file in that folder, it uses that data to adjust the raw file to present the file as it was under the last adjustment. If you've made no adjustment to a file, no xmp file is generated.

One caveat to this is if you convert your images to the DNG format (I always do), the xmp file is stored within the DNG file (the DNG format is called a "container file"). So you will not see the xmp file but it's there INSIDE the DNG file.

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Schermafbeelding 2021-01-12 om 10.32.57.png

Schermafbeelding 2021-01-12 om 10.33.59.png

  Thanks a lot for your answer. What is meant is shown in the 2 screenshots herewith. Before and after my update of Bridge and Camera Raw. I'm missing a bottom in the new version Preferences in Camera Raw, formerly known as " Save image sttings in ". I want to see the .xmp files hidden in the .nef files please.

Thanks in advance.

H.Gebuis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi H.Gebuis,

Thank you for showing me the screenshots. But nothing has changed with Bridge.

Please, let me repeat: Bridge has done nothing to your xmp files. There has been no change from one version to the other. 

The only thing I can think of is that you moved your .nef files to a different folder and did not move the xmp files with them.

Here's one hint/suggestion: if you select your nef files from within Bridge and move them to a different folder (again within Bridge), your xmp files will move with the nef files automatically. If you do the same thing in the Finder or Explorer, that will not happen and you will need to move them separately on your own.

One suggestion I do have for you is to convert your images to DNG images (I do this ALL the time) so that the xmp files are contained within the DNG and you cannot lose the xmp file at that point.

If you need help in how to do this, please ask, it's easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again. I can try what you suggest. To use .DNG.

But the fact is: I changed nothing in my workflow.
So I think it’s the update on Camera Raw that makes It look how it is now?
Choose  could be made in include or exclude the .xmp files in the raw files.
O really can’t find this possibility anymore.

Hans.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines