Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom will not allow photos that reside on NAS drive to be deleted

Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2023 Dec 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Version 7.0 Operating System - macOS 14 Sonoma
I was excited to learn that LR had the ability to work on local drives. I have used Bridge for the last several years after getting frustrated with Classic's performance. I like what I see in the new LR and am giving it a try. I have run into a problem that I am not able to delete any photos in LR that reside in folders on my Synology NAS drive. After asking if I want to move the photo to the trash I get a response saying "This file cannot be moved to the trash. Please try deleting directly from the disk." I have the gone into my Synology settings and I cannot find anything there that would cause this response. I have no issues deleting photos when in Bridge.  I have administer rights on the NAS drive as well as read/write privileges.  Photos residing on the internal SSD or attached drives delete just fine.  I also can copy files into NAS folders, Move photos from one folder to another on the NAS.  I have no issues deleting these files when in Bridge or in Finder on the Mac. Screenshots of the error messages are attached.  I spent two hours with Adobe support with no resolution, who worked with read/write permissions and a number of other things.  They got the same results as I did and had nothing to offer.  This is very important to me as I have years of photos on the NAS drives and I have backup NAS drives maintained in two locations where I have complete access to my entire library in each location.
Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

I've checked with engineering and this should work so I am logging a bug.  Thank you for your report!

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
8 Comments
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2023 Dec 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can verify the bug occurs with the same message and does not delete files on an attached NAS volume.  The issue is not limited to a Synology NAS as it also occurs on my ASUSTOR NAS.   My ASUSTOR  NAS uses AFP 

The new Local option has been likened to a file browser like Finder or Bridge.  I can delete files on the NAS volume using Finder and Bridge but not Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've checked with engineering and this should work so I am logging a bug.  Thank you for your report!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10. I am so excited about the addition of Local to LR.  I have my photos stored on NAS
drives, to which I have assigned drive letters. LR local can see all the photos,
and it appears I can do everything to them EXCEPT delete them (it will
delete them from my internal hard drive).

For the assigned drives it says I have to delete directly from the disk. Which I find odd since
I've been using a similar workflow using Bridge on those same assigned
drives and Bridge has no problem deleting files (just providing a
warning that they will be permanently deleted).  I have a workaround but am wondering if this is a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2024 Jan 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, is there an option to vote for the bug to be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does sound like the Lightroom Desktop for Mac bug also does also apply to Lightroom Desktop for Windows. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the bottom of Rikk Flohr's pinned reply is an option to Up Vote the bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2024 Jan 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. I cannot delete on Lightroom. But I can on Finder.

• Mac OS: 14.2.1
  • NAS: Synology

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2024 Jun 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same thing happening to me, I have my entire collection of RAW files in a shared network drive that uses the SMB protocol, the drive is formatted as NTFS because the computer serving it is windows.

Since all of this setup is at home, I access when abroad using a VPN, and this issue is VERY annoying because I take a lot of pictures of the same subject and since I can't prune my library I end up with tons of unused files that I have to remember to delete when at home.

Windows 11 Drive Share as the server
NTFS Drives
MacOs Sonoma 14.5
Lightroom version: 7.3 arm64 [ 20240507-1433-eff47f4 ] (May 7 2024)

Votes

Translate

Translate