Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: (ACR hosted by Bridge) results in parsing error when opening in PS

Engaged ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Open a file in Camera Raw hosted by Bridge

2) Create a mask using the new "People" feature, or use the new Content Aware tool (I guess other new features will trigger the same error, but these two are the ones I've tested)

3) Click open

When Photoshop opens, this errors message appears (and the file doesn't open):

parsing-error.jpg

"Could not open "(file name) because the file-format module cannot parse the file"

I'm using Windows 10 and the lastest Bridge/ACR/PS versions at the time of writing, but more people have reported this to me on my blog/YT channel.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Hi,

The mentioned issue is fixed in the latest patch release #13.0.1.583. Please install and confirm if that fixes the issue.You can refer to the issues fixed in the patch at the following link https://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/kb/fixed-issues.html

Thanks,Bridge Team

Votes

Translate

Translate
79 Comments
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dobrý den, při otevírání souboru tif upraveného v camera raw z adobe bridge (nastavením profilu a různých barevných korekcí) ve Photoshopu se zobrazí "Nelze otevřít, protože formátovač nemůže soubor analyzovat."Snímek obrazovky 2022-10-18 v 12.10.06.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, when opening a tif file edited in camera raw from adobe bridge (by setting a profile and various color corrections) into Photoshop, it says "Unable to open because the format engine cannot parse the file."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it doesn't work directly from the raw file either. Files opened in Adobe Bridge cannot be opened directly in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it happens everytime i use some profile settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here on the mac side with a Nikon D7200 nef file after using Content Aware Remove.

Photoshop 2023 (ps ver 24.0) ACR 15.0 and Bridge 13.0 (2023) Monterey 12.6

Only seems to happen when using ACR in Bridge 13.0 and then click Open to go to photoshop.

Doesn't happen if one uses File>Open from within photoshop.

Not an issue with Bridge 12.0 (2022) ps 2022 (ps ver 23.5.2) and ACR 15.0

contaw.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it work if Bridge isn't the host (used at all), just Photoshop?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yes, it does work in "normal" use (Camera Raw hosted by Photoshop), at least for me. That's why I made sure to emphasize the "hosted by Bridge" bit, since I think that's the trigger of this bug. Or something related to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Carlos_Oliveras wrote:

Hi, yes, it does work in "normal" use (Camera Raw hosted by Photoshop), at least for me. That's why I made sure to emphasize the "hosted by Bridge" bit, since I think that's the trigger of this bug. Or something related to it.

Many others are reporting similar issues with Bridge hosting ACR hence I recommend you post this as a bug in the Bridge forum so the team can see this.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you digitaldog. Indeed, I didn't know which forum to post to, since three pieces of software are at work here (Bridge, ACR and PS) and I'm not sure which one is causing the problem.

Still, I think you are right and this is a Bridge issue, but I don't know if I can "move" this thread and I'd rather not duplicate it since I think I can't delete the original thread (this one).

Anyway, if the moderators can do it, here's a similar thread in the Bridge section:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/bridge-discussions/files-do-not-open-in-photoshop-through-bridge-and-...

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been getting this error message when I try to open some files in Camera Raw: Could not open "file.dng" becuase the file-format module cannot parse the file.  Does anyone know what this means and a possible solution?

-Kurt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the file definitely a DNG? Could it be another format that has had the extension changed?

Are your versions of Photoshop and Camera Raw up to date?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my way
2022-10-23_18-55-43.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  All the files this has happened to are DNG files.  Both PS and CR are up to date......-Kurt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried changing the file name from file.dng to file.tiff.  It then changed into a different photo in the same folder.  Weird.

-Kurt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears right now that this isssue is happening to most, but not all, of the dng files in the folder from a specific day.  I haven't seemed to have any issues with the days before or after - at least not yet.

-Kurt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The weird thing is, sometimes I get that error message and sometimes I get nothing at all and the image just doesn't open.  Hopefully they will fix it soon as it is slowing down my workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said changing the extension from DNG to TIFF saw it change "into a different photo". Can you elaborate on what this means? After changing the extension were you able to open the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear the issue might be somewhat isolated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would open a different picture that was in the same folder.  I've seen Camera Raw do this before but don't remember what the problem was.  For this problem it was like the thumb nail did not match the image it was supposed to represent.  As I remember, it wouldn't do it with every single image in that folder but enough so that you quickly realized there was a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, as an ongoing issue that may or may not be related.  Camera Raw will not always generate a preview but then you can see the "blank spot" and associated mete-data of where it will be when it eventually does show up.  This has been going on through several updates over the past year.  One thing I do now is to clear the cache for a selected folder if I'm having issues with thumbnail generation.  That seems to work most of the time.  However, it does nothing to solve the current issues I'm having with the message: "Could not open "file.dng" becuase the file-format module cannot parse the file."  FYI, I'm running a PC with Windows 10 and all my Adobe apps are up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you viewing your thumbnails? Have you tried using Adobe Bridge which comes with the Creative Cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Bridge, Camera Raw, and Photoshop.

-Kurt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to re-load the specific pics from my camera and now I can access them.  Maybe a problem with the uploader?  Anyhow, thanks for your time.  You may hear from me again as I sure the issue is still there but at the moment I'm having no issues with the latest uploads......

Thanks again!

-Kurt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kurt. That would be great if it was just some random transfer problem that hopefully won't happen again. Best of luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate