Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: (ACR hosted by Bridge) results in parsing error when opening in PS

Engaged ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Open a file in Camera Raw hosted by Bridge

2) Create a mask using the new "People" feature, or use the new Content Aware tool (I guess other new features will trigger the same error, but these two are the ones I've tested)

3) Click open

When Photoshop opens, this errors message appears (and the file doesn't open):

parsing-error.jpg

"Could not open "(file name) because the file-format module cannot parse the file"

I'm using Windows 10 and the lastest Bridge/ACR/PS versions at the time of writing, but more people have reported this to me on my blog/YT channel.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Hi,

The mentioned issue is fixed in the latest patch release #13.0.1.583. Please install and confirm if that fixes the issue.You can refer to the issues fixed in the patch at the following link https://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/kb/fixed-issues.html

Thanks,Bridge Team

Votes

Translate

Translate
79 Comments
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The above error message is from Photoshop. My software is up to date per ultimo October 2022.

I organize my .ARW files in Bridge and edit with ACR. A double-click on the file in Bridge is set to "open ACR in Bridge". When the editing in ACR is done - "Done" will return the result to Bridge, while "Open" should open the file in Photoshop, but letely Photoshop loads and opens - but ends up with the error. This did not happen until the latest updates to the 2023 versions.

My work around is via "Done" in ACR, then back in Bridge I right-click the image and select "Open with Photoshop - Adobe Photoshop 2023 24.0 (default)". Now the file is opened in ACR and when I select "Open" Photoshop opens with the file without the problem.
Anybody with a similar experience. My suspicion is insufficient memory in my Lenovo after the latest software updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Low memory doesn't do this.

ACR can be hosted by either Bridge or Photoshop. You apparently have one working correctly and the other not.

I'd look at your file associations first. They can sometimes be broken in an update if you have "remove old versions" checked. What happens is that the old version is uninstalled after the new version is installed, and so the old version takes file associations with it on the way out.

Check Bridge > Preferences > File type associations

and

Windows Settings > Apps > Default applications by file types

In both of them, .arw should be set to open in Photoshop 2023.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file association for .arw with Photoshop 2023 was right in Bridge.

Then in Windows - when I searched with .arw - this association seemed to exist. To be sure I searched with ".ARW" next - and saved the result.

The initial test was a success ;O)

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, apparently I was too hasty. The problem was not appearing with a minimally edited .arw file - one with an initial .xmp file.

But the next with a more normally amount of ajustments - and edited in an earlier session - releases the same error.

I am sure the file associations in Bridge and Windows are as suggested above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I think I'd uninstall/reinstall. Sound like it could be a corrupt install.

Maybe try to reset preferences first - that can sometimes cure the strangest problems. Preferences are prone to corruption bacause they are rewritten on every exit, especially if they are migrated from earlier versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated, Bridge & Ps to the latest versions the other. I used photoshop on a project and that worked fine. However, tonight I'm worked on culling an image in Bridge and then went to open images to edit in photoshop. Bridge, opens to camera raw but after doing my initial adjustments and hit open they don't open to PS. 

If I just picked an image from Bridge, right click and click open with PS isn't showing and I'm thinking that's why it just won't open with all the images in raw. How do I fix that and have bridge recognize. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<moved from download and install >

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does this mean? I'm not completely advanced with all this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it means i thought your problem had a better chance to be resolved by ps experts than by download & install experts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did all the things D Fosse suggested. Yesterday - no luck. Today - Photoshop and ACR works like a charm.
Thank you for the attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe a restart was all it took.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe, but restarting didn't help yesterday - even a cold start after having removed all residual stuff (Photoshop 2021 a.o.). Apparently a peaceful night was required. I would like to know what actually caused this, but the answer is without doubt linked to all my other stuff on the computer and is as difficult as the weather to say anything absolute about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having similar issues with Canon RAW (CR3) files since the latest update.   I sometimes can't open them in Photoshop from Bridge's Adobe Camera RAW module (v15), but it doesn't always give me the "Could not open (file name) because the file-format module cannot parse the file" dialog...sometimes it doesn't do anything at all.  However, I have been able to open every single one of the files if I first drag the file's thumbnail from Bridge into Photoshop (which still opens the same version of Adobe Camera RAW)...which makes me think something weird is happening with the hand off between Adobe Camera RAW and Photoshop.

Either way, try dragging from Bridge to PS and see if that wokraround works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2022 Oct 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Since last update (to PS v24 i Windows10), I can't open the raw files in photoshop (from ACR15 to PS24) 

It appears this message in PS: "Could not open "_DSF568.RAF" because the file-format module cannot parse the file"

Could you help me ?

Many thanks

Eduard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found a bug in either Bridge or Camera Raw. I open a raw file from Bridge, do my normal adjustments, BUT this one time I used the healing brush to remove a dust spot. And when I did when I clicked Open in Camera Raw to send it to Photoshop I got the message Could not open "_08A7186.CR3" because the file-format module cannot parse the file. I went back to Bridge and right clicked and under Develop Settings I clicked Clear Settings. Then I could open in Camera Raw and open it in Photoshop.Adobe.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola, desde que actualice aparece este error cuando intento abrir archivos  NEF tomados por una Nikon D300 (he robado con varios).    El error no sucede con archivos NEF de otros modelos de Nikon, como el D800, D50, etc.

Bridge 13.0.0.562,  ACR 15.0.0.1264,  PS 24.0.0 20221013.r.59 3a3d761 x64

Por favor si pueden solucionar este error 

Gracias

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you opening the D300 nefs from Bridge or from within photoshop using File>Open?

Are these files ones just taken or any file from the D300 that had opened fine in a previous photoshop version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please report in the bridge forum as it appears to be a Bridge bug (try using Photoshop instead ).

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to open an ARW file from Camera Raw, I get an error message that says the file cannot be opened "because the file-format module cannot parse the file" I've never seen this before. It happens to some of the images, but not all of them. I'm using the latest PS and BR on a MacBook Pro 16". Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without any info about the camera and your shoot settings we can't tell you much. Likely the files that don't open have damage or one of those weird metadata issues that has plagued ACR in the past rears its head again.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Carlos_Oliveras ,

Thanks for your feedback, we are able to reproduce the issue. Team is investigating the same.

Thanks,

Bridge Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to PS and Bridge 2023 a few days ago and now I am having a lot of issues opening my CR2 files into PS after editing in Bridge Camera Raw editor. For most attempts, I am in my usual workflow of editing in Bridge (v13.0.0.562), then opening them up in PS (v24.0.0) to resize and save (on to my computer (Windows 10 home, v19044.2130), not cloud). I've tried changing my performance settings, my cache size, restarting PS and Bridge, but to no avail.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I see a lot of these around the forums now, so I would suspect a bona fide bug in Photoshop v24, Bridge v13 or ACR v15.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on an iMac running Monterrey 12.6.1, Photoshop 24.0.0 and Camera Raw 15.0.0.1234.  As far as I know it's the latest of everything.  I'm working in Bridge with Raw files from a Nikon D 850.  I can open a file in Camera Raw, click on "Open"  Photoshop will open it.  However, if I do any dust spot removal on the file and then click on "Open" I get the following error message.  "Could not open "raw file name" because the file-format module cannot parse the file."

If I delete the XMP file that was created by Camera Raw I can now open the file in Photoshop.  No other modifications I do in Camera Raw seem to cause this problem.

This looks like a bug to me.  I never had this dust spot removal problem in earlier versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate