• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to rig a puppet without legs to use motion library?

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

I hope you can help me out. I'm trying to create a puppet that's basically a coil/spring with eyes and arms. The idea is that he moves by jumping around (because he's a spring). I wanted to use the motion library, so we can use the jump animations.

So I have a puppet with a body, a face, left arm and right arm. I added sticks with dangle to the body on the places of the coil lines, so it doesn't bend in unnatural ways and still is bouncy. So far, so good. 

Now when I add a jumping motion from the library, the puppet kind of jumps but he also rotates around the center slowly. So after 5 jumps he's upside-down. How can I prevent this?

What I already tried:

- Adding handles with head/neck/hips/knees/heels along the body. This caused the coil to be unrecognizably torn apart during the jumping motion. 

- Adding knees/feet with separate handles also torns the puppet apart, because his "feet" are just the bottom line of the spring and can't move independently.

Any help or pointers are much appriciated

TOPICS
Puppet movement

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've made puppets without bodies and puppets without legs before. Nothing quite like yours, though. The closest example I can think of had a body, head and arms. Have you put your face elements inside a head and everything else inside the body? What happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I just need to play around a bit more. I found that if I don't tag the body as a head, the motion library motions don't work at all. 

And whatever I try, the puppet keeps slowly tipping over during the animation. After 10 loops it's just lying on his side..

XM_NL_2-1680853037381.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One thing you can try is "Record One Motion" (under advanced settings in the Motion Library behavior). That way, you can use the single jump over and over again.

recordOneMotion.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines