Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lip Synch not working AT ALL

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what I did:

• make Illustrator file with 11 visemes on separate layers, named by Adobe doctrine
    Schermafbeelding 2021-09-24 om 16.59.44.png
  • import into Character Animator
  • import sound into character animator
  • drag both onto timeline
  • click imported puppet on timeline, go Timeline > Compute Lip Synch Take From Scene Audio
  • Now, I got a ‘visemes’ sublayer to my layer, with a whole lot of different visemes declared
    Schermafbeelding 2021-09-24 om 16.59.32.png
  • Mouth doesn’t animate —at all—

There doesn’t seems to be a comprehensive tutorial that just outlines the steps besides ‘click the button and everything works by magic’. If it doesn’t work, is there a way to just rig it manually?

Many thanks in advance!

TOPICS
How to , Puppet movement , Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

At the bottom of this page is a set of  Blank templates for the puppets (both PSD and AI in a single zip). Download it and open the Illustrator template. You will see that inside the Head folder is one for the mouth and all of the visemes are in the mouth folder. You may or may not need the head, but I think the Mouth is needed for Character Animator to keep the positions sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Yep, you need your lip sync layers within a folder that's tagged with Mouth Group. This is done automatically if you put them in a folder named "Mouth"

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yeah, in the 'rigging' screen, I get warnings that the layers aren’t used by any behaviors. Any tips?

Schermafbeelding 2021-09-24 om 17.03.12.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep, you need your lip sync layers within a folder that's tagged with Mouth Group. This is done automatically if you put them in a folder named "Mouth"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see your mouth layer. Do you have one for the mouth parts to be sublayers of?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure – this is what I have:
Schermafbeelding 2021-09-28 om 09.51.18.png

The illustrator document is called ‘visemes’ (and so is the layer I think)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the bottom of this page is a set of  Blank templates for the puppets (both PSD and AI in a single zip). Download it and open the Illustrator template. You will see that inside the Head folder is one for the mouth and all of the visemes are in the mouth folder. You may or may not need the head, but I think the Mouth is needed for Character Animator to keep the positions sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, here's the link I meant to post:  Okay Samurai Puppets

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always recommend the root layer be called "+Peter" (plus followed by character name). Inside that put a layer called "Frontal" (optional, but if you ever want side profile layers later it can save re-rigging). Inside put a "Head" layer. Inside that put the "Mouth" layer. Inside that put the vizemes.

Puppets should have a single root to keep everything together. Some behaviors look for the Head layer the Moth under that. The lip sync behavior looks for Mouth somewhere with vizemes under that. In rig mode, expand the Lipsync behavior to see what layers it found. 

The blue warnings means it found layers like vizemes, but lipsync did not find them because it did not find the Mouth patent layer.

great set of videoes https://okaysamurai.com/CHFAQ/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for helping me guys, I will check this out asap!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines