Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rigging Question - Character Does Not Have a Discrete Head Separate From Body

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I am creating a Character Animator project for e-learning purposes. My organization has a mascot (a cute bear) that doesn't have a discrete head separate from the body. His shape is somewhat similar to a chubby Mr. Peanut body type. The facial features occupy the top part of the 'peanut', and he has arms and legs attached to the lower. I am having difficulty figuring out how to rig the body and head parts so that everything works in CA 2020. I am somewhat new to this software, so I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question. Any advice?

P.S. Due to strict branding rules, I am unable to upload an image or puppet, I hope my description was clear enough. Sorry!

TOPICS
How to , Puppet movement , Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The separate body and head layers convention is useful for puppets where you want a head turner or walk behavior where the head and body need to act independently. But there is nothing wrong with only having a head and attaching arms to it directly if you are not using those things. So the starting point is to understand what things you want the puppet to be able to do. If you just want to drag the hands and arms around a bit, no different profiles etc, then you can either cut the artwork into the head and body just to be consistent, or just forget about the body layer.

The somewhat old project wookie videos i did i started with a photo of a toy and showed how i animated it. Use the fast forward for the boring parts (it's a screen cast showing every step i took) but it might be useful. https://extra-ordinary.tv/2018/10/22/project-wookie-a-beginner-youtube-playlist/ - just be aware there are newer features in ch like camera panning and key frames now that were not available when i did the video. But it might give some ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines