Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using a DSLR as a Webcam for Character Animator

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I have been trying to connect my Canon 60D and to use it as a webcam, it works if I'm using it to stream, but for Character Animator it can't recognize it. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

TOPICS
Camera , How to , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK Character Animator only works with webcams. There may be some hacky workarounds but I believe that's a current limitation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Character Animator can use any camera input that can present itself to the system as a webcam.  So in the case of the Canon cameras, you will need to determine if the camera software they provide can make that camera act as a webcam to the system.

You can test whether or not your system sees a camera as a webcam by using the built-in "Camera" app on Windows, or the built-in "Photo Booth" app on Mac.  If those apps can see your camera input, then likely Character Animator will be able to as well.

I see that Canon announced a new release of "EOS Webcam Utility Beta" on April 20th, so you might give that a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the EOS webcam fully functioning, but it does not show up Character Animator, nore to any of the virtual webcams on my computer that programs such as skype and zoom have no trouble finding. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the beta version of CANON webcam utility does not work.

The final/latest release makes use of a "webcam-like" implementation, which makes it compatible with Character Animator now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It only work under OSX.

With Windows it do not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am facing this problem, the Camera app doesn't detect the EOS Utility either, is there a way to make this work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines