• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using a photoshop image for a puppet.. is this possible?

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to use an image in photoshop as a character/puppet? I know that each piece of the puppet needs to be a different layer but has anyone ever tried to take an image and then copy and paste each part onto a layer once the image was already completed.

For example, I may have an artist that will draw my cartoon.But they will only do it on a single layer. Has anyone ever gone back and copied and pasted each part of the image onto their own layers and then uised it as a puppet?

TOPICS
How to , Puppet movement , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,
You can create a puppet from an existing photograph or illustration. You will have to break everything down into properly named layers and folders. For example, copy the image to a new layer named +Right Arm - then delete everything exept the right arm. You will have to erase things like the eyebrows and then have them on their own layer etc.

Not the most efficient way - but certainly possible.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It depends on the puppet. In this (now somewhat old) video series I take a photo of a toy and animate it. I did not cut into lots of layers to do this - I did the minimal steps required to get something going. You can get a long way with sticks and handles. https://extra-ordinary.tv/2018/10/22/project-wookie-a-beginner-youtube-playlist/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines