Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error 16 for both CS6 and CC Mac

Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running OSX 10.8.4 mid 2009 Macbook 6 GB ram 256 GB SSD

CS6 for some odd reason fails to open with an error 16.  I uninstall it and AAM does not list it so I can't reinstall

Download Bridge CC which does work, but Photoshop CC gives the same error and the same uninstall/reinstall error.

How do fix this and how do I get CS6 cloud version back?

And why does bridge CC tell me I don't have sufficient permissions when I use Help > Update?

I'd be glad to nuke and pave,but I need to know how.

Gene

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

I solved the dilemma by going direct download and avoiding the CC installer upgrade.

First I rebooted my Mac using Cmd R and using my Time Machine HDD (I hope you do back up often), re-imaged my Macbook with the latest full backup before this problem. Save all your important work files to another drive before doing this.

After that you can boot into that recovered image and use CS6 normally.

This time avoid updating AAM and proceed to this link for direct CC downloads.

http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-direct-download-links.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Run the Creative Suite Cleaner Tool, try again.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mylenium

It's been a busy night trying and retrying your advice. I took a long break and I just got back off the phone with tech support.

Long story short: I tried the CS Cleaner tool, Installed and reinstalled numerous times. I even went into OSX's recovery mode and used time machine to restore the hard drive before the CC release. Then I called Adobe tech perhaps thinking they had some workaround.

My problems seem to have started with the AAM. It updated, and my Photoshop CS6 cloud went Error 16, and all further attempts at uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop CC have given me nothing but error 16

A call to tech support did not fix it. I deleted the OSX hosts file, gone to Library/Application Support/Adobe,

renamed OODB folder to OODBold as per the tech's instructions and set permissions for Adobe PCD and SLStore folders. Error 16 back to square one despite carefully following instructions. The case has been elevated, I am awaiting Adobe Tech support's response.

Gene

At least CC works in Windows 7 and I have nothing mission critical so I can be patient with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Once the manager downloaded I tried to download CC. It acted like it is stalled (Mac OSX 10.8.4) and all I got was the Error 16 screen. I tried launching CS6 and the only app that would launch was Bridge. All apps produced the Error 16 screen. I uninstalled everything and used cleaner several times. Also checked permissions on a few folders from advise on anyother thread. Nothing works. Now the manager does not even show CS6 so I cannot even go back and install that. I am dead in the water and this is my work machine with several jobs due. I went from excitment about an update to completely devistated!! I awill have to contact support but was holding off as long as I could to see if anyone here had a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rebooted my MacBook...did a Cmd R and from the recovery section found a full backup from the day before on Time Machine. PS CS6 CC works fine now.

I suggest that if nothing else works and do not open AAM until this is fixed. Refuse the update till then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jakshumsky have you tried the steps listed in Configuration error -

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/configuration-error-cs5.html?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to adjust the permissions and it did not work. I even tried to install the previous CS6 version and it did not work. I am dead in the water. I have tried everything I know how to do. Uninstall, cleaner, reinstall CC & CS6, permissions, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved the dilemma by going direct download and avoiding the CC installer upgrade.

First I rebooted my Mac using Cmd R and using my Time Machine HDD (I hope you do back up often), re-imaged my Macbook with the latest full backup before this problem. Save all your important work files to another drive before doing this.

After that you can boot into that recovered image and use CS6 normally.

This time avoid updating AAM and proceed to this link for direct CC downloads.

http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-direct-download-links.html

Follow the instructions carefully before clicking on the direct download links.

This has worked for me and now I have a fully functional CC Photoshop and Bridge plus the .dmg files to both, no need to keep re-downloading.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2013 Aug 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to understand how to download DMG files directly. The links on the page you directed people too just bring up the same download page that use the Application Manager. Am i missing something here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 15, 2013 Aug 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob make sure you are following the Very Important Instructions on the page before you click the download links.  If you still face difficulties then try a different web browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2015 Apr 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to  :   Library   -   Application Support    -   Adobe  -  Right Click and Get info  -  Sharing & Permission

Choose ( Read & Write ) for All ( system - wheel - everyone )

Now Try and Adobe Application -    Good Luck

Respect for all members of this discussion

Screen Shot 2015-04-15 at 11.22.29 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your help is appreciated, but that question was fixed two years ago.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the solution that I am proposing to you faster does not take more than 20 seconds and probably watching from new members in the present time in 2015

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That procedure does not fix the damaged subfolder permissions the updater bug caused. That takes a Terminal command to get at those folders. That bug has been fixed.

The above answer did not work for that reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok i understand you But :

when i try mavericks for the first time i want to move files or folders from my hard disk to another location in the samr hard disk

I saw a message for authentication password

i go to may hard disk and change permission for it

my computer crashed down and i cannot do any thing

looking for solution on the web found some command in the terminal

to fixes this error messege like ( caller id ........ )

now i reboot to my mavericks good

after that i tray to open photoshop appear the message  ( error  16 )

in adobe.com the solution is not fixed the problem

but when i tray to change the whole folder  ( Adobe ) permission its working

this is my experience

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I understand that. You did something else that caused the Error 16. You got the correct answer and it fixed your problem.

In all fairness I did not get the correct answer until someone else showed me several days later. It's done by opening Terminal and copy/pasting this command:

sudo chmod -R 777 /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe

-R 777 means full permissions for all subfolders and files in the Application support folder.

Again, thanks for your help, I only meant to explain the unique situation of this bug. I spent a long time with Tech Support taking over my screen and they couldn't even find out why. It took another forum member who knew console commands better than I did.

Other than that, have a nice afternoon

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a standalone copy of Lightroom 6 on a Macbook Pro running Sierra 10.12.3.  Some time ago I began to get Error 16 when attempting to open Lightroom. At the adobe support site I found a zipped script to insert into terminal to update all permissions, and that fixed the problem for a while.  Had to do that 2 or three times over the course of a few months though.  Yesterday I got the dreaded Error 16 again though even that failed to fix the issue.  Found your -R 777 command and tried that and it fixed the problem.  I was able to open Lightroom several times. 

Today I again get the Error 16 and niether the zipped commands not the -R 777 will allow me to open the program.  I'm stuck.  Should I uninstall and reinstall the program?  What are the issues with doing that and maintaining connection to my libraries?  Help?

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This (sudo chmod -R 777 /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe) worked right on! Thanks buddy.

- Mani

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sudo chmod -R 777 /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe

This worked for me.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

seems dangerous

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried everything to solve this problem but nothing worked. But then one simple thing solved everything.

I noticed that when I created a new user with administrator rights, only then this problem started, so I simply took off the administrator rights from that user, and my Adobe products started working fine as normal. So if anyone recently created a new user with administrator rights, or gave administrator rights to a existing user (which didn't have administrator rights before), simply take away those administrator rights and this problem should be solved.

I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar solution by turning off the Guest Account. One click and it is back to normal.

Thanks for the hint CreativeCores

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2017 Sep 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this advice 'dcastilda'.  I am using Dreamweaver CS6 on a MacBook AirTurning off the Guest Account was simple and it worked for me.  DW is back up and running again.  Happy days!

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am constantly plagued with permissions problems using Adobe CC and separate user accounts on MacOS, both Error 16 and otherwise. This is a massive, critical problem with Adobe's software that is seriously impacting my workflow. After spending hours upon hours of researching, troubleshooting, trying fixes from forums, resetting permissions over and over again on Preferences, Cache, Application Support, Etc, Etc on every individual user and the root user, allowing Read/Write for "everyone" (can't believe Adobe considers this a "fix"), installing/reinstalling the apps, installing/reinstalling the CC app then the individual apps and the utterly soul crushing experience of the endless loop of checklists and restating the same information to Adobe's well-intended but totally unhelpful "support" loop of phone banks in India I have completely given up on trying to solve this problem. Its depressing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2017 May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One crucial element I'm not seeing in many of these unsuccessful solutions is restoring your old user preferences from a  backup made before the error occurred. Reinstalling or fixing permissions won't do this! For my own problem, I first had to restore a folder where I had unwisely inserted a file manually. Then, In your home folder's Library > Preferences, restore everything in the Adobe folder and the folder for your specific version. That fixed it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines