• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2014 Dec 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL I would say the flow chart is sort of accurate.....

The cost/Bill Gates thing...puhlease.  You need professional tools, you pay for them. And $600 a year is HASRDLY Bill Gates territory.

For someone using it strictly for a hobby? Maybe its too much.  or maybe not.  Certainly people spend much more money a year on OTHER hobbies/habits......beer, cigarettes, gambling and online gaming access fees all come to mind.  You wanna play, you pay.

I doubt Adobe (or any other software developer) will lose sleep over losing "customers" that start off with educational licenses at 1/3 price and then continue to use that license when they are no longer students......or people who pirate copies and then at some point decide to buy a legit upgrade and expect full support.

Adobe wants customers that buy their product and stick with it legally and monetarily. That is how they stay in business.

The flow chart has one thing right for sure...need new camera codecs or new features? The only way to get those is development....that costs money.....and that cost is paid for by legit people buying legit copies of the software.

No one is forcing anyone to buy Adobe anything.

Is the new licensing model "fair" ?   Many people originally screamed and yelled when software manufacturers stopped shipping serial numbers with software in favor of online authentication using hashes of your equipment to determine if you were simply upgrading or trying to swipe a second copy.......  Now that method of authentication is accepted.

The market will decide what is fair or at least what is accepted.

"bugs.unreliable" piece --- that is BS too.....I have been with Premiere since version 2 or 3...back in the 90s......and it has been a gradual increase in stability and such all along......new releases with major new changes are ALWAYS buggy....no piece of software that is a major update is perfect out the gate. I never upgrade until the newest release is more or less looking stable. Others love cutting/bleeding edge.  To each their own.

And the "Pay $575 for life" thing......seriously.......if you are a professional you know that that statement is a ridiculous thing to expect for any substantial tool. A entry level HD camera with pro features (like a sony PXW-X70 for instance) is over $2k.....and in just a few years that camera will be "obsolete", with NO way to upgrade....the cure for getting new features will be to pay-to-play again.

Why is software looked at so differently by some???? I know why -- because Adobe set the standard in upgradeability for years so as to build a user base to compete with the likes of FC and AVID.  Now they have arrived and they can afford to trim back how many freebies they are giving.

Seriously folks --- why all the wailing and gnashing of teeth? Switch to another cheaper, perpetual edit software that suits you and keep your current legit version of CS.....they are out there and the work flows are all similar......why go on and on and then threaten piracy when the very reason claimed for "having to go pirate" is available elsewhere?

I dont like having to pay for new software to get stuff I want either.....but I am not naive enough to think that everything should be free or cut rate.........I want to play, so I will pay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2014 Dec 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Why is software looked at so differently by some???? I know why -- because Adobe set the standard in upgradeability for years so as to build a user base to compete with the likes of FC and AVID.  Now they have arrived and they can afford to trim back how many freebies they are giving."

What? So basically you're saying that NOW that Adobe has their audience, they can now extort money because they have their userbase? Now that they've "arrived" they can now stop adding features to their software and "dial it down."

"I dont like having to pay for new software to get stuff I want either.....but I am not naive enough to think that everything should be free or cut rate.........I want to play, so I will pay."

As I recall...   all of the years that I PURCHASED Adobe products I actually PAID money for them. I - and EVERYONE ELSE - did not expect to get them for free. When I UPGRADED, I PAID for the upgrade IF it was worth it to me. If Adobe did not add enough new features to make it worthwhile, I did not upgrade. But NOW that Adobe has that captive audience, what incentive do they have to keep improving the software? Those on CC can't stop using it if they want to open and edit their files, so essentially Adobe doesn't really have to do anything to keep people addicted.

And as Echelar stated above previously, there were various suites that catered to different groups of people. As I recall...   Web Designer, Production Premium and Master Collection. MOST...   did not opt for the Master Collection. MOST were Production Premium and Web Designer - but NOW we don't have that choice - it's essentially one or all. And it's a waste for most. You do know that the upgrade for each Creative Suite was less than the cost of CC for 18 months? And at the end of that 18 months you still had an ASSET that you could sell. And if you decided to move to another piece of software, you could still retain your old Adobe software AND open those old files.NE

ANYONE who thinks that RENTAL-ONLY software is a good thing is simply incredibly naive OR an Adobe fanboy. Rental software is not bad - but as ALL of us who are against this removal of choice have said...   it's not rental software that is the problem - it's the removal of CHOICE to a rental-only method that is the problem. And I simply find it amazing that so many people continue to tout CC as so wonderful - what is really so great about having your choice of owning or renting removed? Do you know how many people were complaining when they first introduced CC? The answer is ZERO. There were no complaints because they "sold" CC alongside of perpetual licenses. BOTH can easily live side by side. Unfortunately far too many DO drink the kool-aid and refuse to see the real problem or simply ignore it. Not to mention setting a terrible precedent that will ultimately end up with all of us renting ALL of our software instead of owning - JUST what the corporations want us to do. And how many of you are facilitating this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2014 Dec 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What? So basically you're saying that NOW that Adobe has their audience, they can now extort money because they have their userbase? Now that they've "arrived" they can now stop adding features to their software and "dial it down."

"extort" ?   They are forcing people to use the software?

But NOW that Adobe has that captive audience, what incentive do they have to keep improving the software?

Improvements have always been a hit or miss sort of thing.....EVENTUALLY you upgraded, assuming you did not wait TOO long (couldn't go from Premiere 2 to CS5 for instance)......yes, now you will pay all along, but it is a lower cost spread out...as I laid out in my math above, up to 5 years it is a wash ASSUMING you upgrade every couple years.  If you never upgrade, then yes, the new way will cost you more if you already own the software.  But Adobe isn't interested in keeping non-paying customers.  People using the same software for a decade isn't what will keep their doors open and their developers employed, any more than if an auto manufacturer made a car that never wore out and worked forever.....why would anyone buy a new car?

Those on CC can't stop using it if they want to open and edit their files, so essentially Adobe doesn't really have to do anything to keep people addicted.

"if they want to open and edit their files"...aka, USING THE SOFTWARE.  You either ARE using the software or you are NOT using it regularly IMHO.  And how often are you opening old files, really?  There are ways around this "problem", old school ways...laying off sub masters and storing alternate file types of graphics etc. for easy rebuild later......that usedto be the ONLY way......many people using the software now are too young to remember those old ways....LOL   Is it as convenient as opening up a workfile from 10 years ago and it just works?  No.   But then, if you want that ability you can keep your CURRENT CS6 or older software in perpetuity on a machine and have that work just fine.  I have opened up CS6 files on CS5.....the newer features will not work....but I can access the files.  you want 100% easy portability and infinite "storability" then yes, now you will have to pay for it versus it being an assumed freebie.

The solution, again, is to cut bait now......keep your CS6 or older files for future use, keep an old machine loaded with CS^ or older and switch to another editing platform that you feel will be future proof going forward.

Good luck finding "futureproof" anything in this biz.

there were various suites that catered to different groups of people. As I recall...   Web Designer, Production Premium and Master Collection. MOST...   did not opt for the Master Collection. MOST were Production Premium and Web Designer - but NOW we don't have that choice - it's essentially one or all. And it's a waste for most.

I do concede that the "single app or all apps" model is a bit constricting.  There could be a medium ground. But then again, many of us are dabbling in each of the disciplines that were previously very clearly demarcated, so having the tools handy is cool. If you look at the pricing structures of the previous bundles, you still paid a healthy fee for the licensing compared to the "full blown" packages......right now CS6 is $2600 for the master collection and $1900 for the production premium.  That $700 is not that much a discount really, is it and for that $700 you get much more that could be useful to you.  Or maybe not. 

You do know that the upgrade for each Creative Suite was less than the cost of CC for 18 months? And at the end of that 18 months you still had an ASSET that you could sell. And if you decided to move to another piece of software, you could still retain your old Adobe software AND open those old files.NE

The CC PS and LB bundle is only $10 a month....$120 a year.  Photoshop CS6 is $700.    And if you are a CS user already, the full bundle is only $359 a year. That is less than the price of a normal paid update.

Yes, a little more.  So Adobe is not allowed to raise their rates for upgrades?

Someone can play with the numbers on either side of this discussion and "wag the dog".....many many MANY scenarios involved and there are pros/cons on either side.  Overall, the initial price of entry is MUCH MUCH lower and that will attract new customers.  Many people do not CARE about "having access to their files" for 10 years.....many people do a project and move on.  With the crazy advances in technology and software every day, falling back on an old work file is rapidly becoming a moot point. I have Adobe workfiles.  If you decide that you want to cancel CC TODAY, then yes -- anything you created yesterday will be unuseable......but that is more a business decision on "when" to cut bait.

ANYONE who thinks that RENTAL-ONLY software is a good thing is simply incredibly naive OR an Adobe fanboy.

No need to go personal with this.  having a difference of opinion on this doesn't make someone a sell out , a cronie or naive any more than opposing the changes makes you a pirate, education-license cheater or a cheapskate.

it's the removal of CHOICE to a rental-only method that is the problem.

As said, I agree that it would be nice to not have to get the full blown version...myself, I only "need" half the master collection.....and that is , I think, something that one could reasonably ask Adobe to consider.........then again, I feel that the cost is a wash when you consider regular updates.  The subscription plan is something new to me too, so that will take some time to get used to when I finally jump, but it is what it is and it truly is the future of software I think.  Adobe is looking to capitalize on their investment in these softwaresfrom  over the last couple decades...and it has been a slow crawl for the first 2/3 of that.......Premiere, for instance, was never 100% solid for me...many a night was spent trying to get Premiere 3.0 to run at ALL without crashing.......but CS5 and 6 have been rock solid......well, as rock solid as software can be....that is in part due to the OS being perfected, and to new computer technology.......

People sitting back waiting to upgrade for 6 or 8 years, or using educational licenses far beyond their scope is no longer enough to pay Adobe's bills....those folks are not the target customer.  They have the right to raise their prices or licensing tact as much as you have the right to choose another platform.  Anyone with any business savvy will recognize this.

And I simply find it amazing that so many people continue to tout CC as so wonderful - what is really so great about having your choice of owning or renting removed? Do you know how many people were complaining when they first introduced CC? The answer is ZERO. There were no complaints because they "sold" CC alongside of perpetual licenses. BOTH can easily live side by side.

According to the Adobe site right now you can still buy CS6....so you have that choice.   The difference is that if you want product IMPROVEMENTS you will need to go to the CC route.  Having two different licensing methods would require double the manpower and resources to support...more, really because the old "perpetual licensing" method requires plans for upgrades for various older versions.....that takes time and money to devise and keep going......I do not blame Adobe for wanting to streamline their operations.  They have the right to cut costs as much as you or I do. Again, we are free to go to a less expensive platform or one that we feel does the same stuff for the same or better money with perpetual licensing schemes still in place. What I do not get is why all the angst and bitterness.   It is just a business decision. Vote with your wallet and move on and show Adobe who is boss or buy in to CC and do your work with a professional platform that you are used to.  Easy peasey.

Unfortunately far too many DO drink the kool-aid and refuse to see the real problem or simply ignore it. Not to mention setting a terrible precedent that will ultimately end up with all of us renting ALL of our software instead of owning - JUST what the corporations want us to do. And how many of you are facilitating this?

LOL That is because not everyone sees this as a huge problem.  My opinion is that CC is probably better in many ways ASSUMING Adobe continues with product improvements over time. It isnt drinking the koolaid -- it is a thoughtful business decision. 

Adobe is not the only editing platform out there.  If I do not like the new pricing structure then I am free to change gears and move on.....just like if I do not like a camera I am using I am free to sell it off and buy another.    I think many many people will LIKE the CC structure.....it is easier to get into using the software at $600 spread out over a year versus $2,000+ up front......the whole "what if I want to quit Adobe CC and then be able to edit my files later" argument has a tiny bit of merit, but as said there are old school ways around it......and how many people REALLY need to go back and edit timelines or files from 5 years ago?  If you do, then yes it is a decision you will need to make.

The real laugh here is that when I started in this business, having even a basic edit suite with basic functions was a venture that cost $20k+ initial investment and then constant upkeep $$$.   Now I have an entire suite of professional tools for $600 a year. Sorry I find that mind blowing. Those newer to the field who started with having every professional tool they could want at their fingertips via educational licenses or pirated copies or even legit standard licensing will certainly have a different viewpoint....

It is expected I guess that Adobe will continue, forever, allowing abuse of its licensing or allow slow upgrade paths and will continue to be able to grow the products. I do not hold that view.  If that makes me naive or a "adobe fan boy" in your eyes, I say "oh well.".

Pirating, lack of customers buying regular upgrades on a timely basis and the economy have all factored in to this new CC structure.   You want to complain about this, look to the people who use pirated copies of the software , use educational version "forever" long after they have ceased meeting the educational licensing requirements, and those who wait 6 years before deciding to upgrade.  No business can continue for long having their products used that way  CC solves those issues for Adobe.  It also opens up the products to many more who could not afford the large up front costs previously.  I think Adobe has made a calculated decision and feels there will be more customers gained for each one lost.  Only long term will prove that right wrong.

Great discussion, really, and I think many good points on all sides.   But again, it is what it is.  Whining about it and accusing Adobe of being greedy, etc etc  ain't gonna change Adobe's tact.

Let's meet back here in 10 years and see where we are.  LOL 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. They are not forcing anyone to use their software. They are forcing people to pay for their software if they want to continue to access *work already done*. This argument is nonsense.

You could say that "nobody is forcing you to pay a ransom" to people who have kidnapped your kids. But if you want to carry on with some level of normalcy according to what you entered into when you first started using Adobe (and for many people on this forum, that goes back quite a few years), you will need to pay - or say goodbye to your work.

One of the primary reasons that we don't move to CC for our business license is that many companies are not biting on this payment package for whatever reasons. In this country, many printing companies use legitimate software, but are still using CS2 or CS3. Small businesses are very common here and they have neither the cash flow nor the need to keep upgrading software that just does some simple stuff. As a result, we try to stick to broad compatibility. We have had problems with compatibility with CC when CC first got started. And that turned us off very quickly. CS6 is a reasonable standard and has been stable for a couple of years now. I would guess that 60-70% of the companies we work with use CS6. We work with just two companies that use CC out of over 250. Oh and FWIW, most of those companies use Win7 rather than Win8 for similar reasons.

I am a user who has upgraded and who has been willing to upgrade again. But there is no upgrade path for me, nor is there any path at all for a Production Premium user. It's either increase my budget or go back to pirating like in my starving student days. I don't want this and I don't understand why Adobe is pushing me into this decision because I guarantee that it will be lose-lose for them. They will lose my money from the upgrade paths and they will certainly not get my money for CC - largely because the money they want for it doesn't exist.

You agree that the lack of these previously very good package deals is "a bit constricting"?

You should look up and see my case study of my friend who got cancer and had to go back to brush up on her Illustrator skills. Guess what the pricing looks like for PS+AI? Terrible. $360/yr for two programs (she doesn't use LR, but PS is important for AI). Guess what pricing looks like for a guy like me who uses PS, PPro, AI, AE and would use Speedgrade for CC as well (I don't currently). Ridiculous. It costs as much to do 1.5 license costs (PS is 50% off) than the upgrade for Production Premium suite. PS + AI + PPro + Speegrade + AE would cost almost as much as full CC. Does that mean that I am inclined to just say 'screw it' and get the full CC package? No. And this is largely because I am not an idiot who can't do math.

Speaking of which. The full bundle for CC is $359 - for the first year only! Which would be OK. If I planned my budget for things like Adobe in 1 year chunks. However, I have been using Adobe software for over 10 years now. I will probably continue to use it for the next 10 years or more and my skill set is highly Adobe oriented. I can't think of any reason why a tiny drop in price like that would make sense for any business user or personal user. I don't know of a *single* person who would invest the time into learning Adobe's software just so they could use it for a year. Most people can't even gain a strong level of competence in a year. Only the most short-sighted people fall for that one. Or as stated above, people who can't do math.

Now, are they permitted to raise their prices? Sure. By all means.

But you have to understand a couple of things: #1 - people will only continue to pay higher prices if there is significant innovation.

and #2 - if there isn't innovation, Adobe needs to find a way to give people no choice... but then that would invalidate #1.

For many users, Adobe's on-year innovation aren't worth the money. I think every major forum I've been to talking about Adobe makes the suggestion of skipping a version. This isn't "upgrading every 6 or 8 years". But it is very common to upgrade every other version or every other year. Everywhere from creative cow to dpchallenge and dpreview. This is a common method. This is the case because quite frankly, it's bloody expensive software and many users simply can't afford to throw that much money at Adobe whenever they want it. They *used* to provide various tricks to get around this. Such as educational versions, upgrading from edu to normal, package suites etc. Now they have "PS+LR" and "Master Collection". And there haven't really been a lot of improvements in the past 2 years either. Yeah, there's an ACR filter now and audio sync in Premiere as well as they finally got up to speed with roundtripping to SG. But those are minor. I've been living without those things for years now. But what I can't get around is #2. If they give me no choice but to either pay or pirate in order to access my work, I will view that as extortive and I will not pay. Even though I have enough money, I will refuse on principle.

The reality is that I will probably have to do a career switch within the next 5 years anyhow. And in doing that, I will undoubtedly be relying on my personal copy of Adobe software *and* be in a position with low income for a period of time.

And even if i was paying every year for updates on Production Premium, $600/yr is still not a wash. Also, FWIW, it has been more than a year for me since I could have upgraded. If I had made use of that 40% off deal, I would already be on full price. As most people that were willing to switch already are.

As to using old content, I did three projects at work in the past month that used projects that were more than a year old. One of these involved project files from another company. Those files were actually old enough that they were made before 1080p was the main standard and I had to recreate content based on an AE file that was created a couple of years prior using AE CS5 by a guy who didn't work at that company anymore. Now if we had upgraded from CS6 to CC and if we had stopped paying, that would stop the license and break access to those files. When you do the upgrade from one version to the next, you're kind of supposed to retire your old version. You can't just stop paying and go back to CS6, although this model has been suggested, requested and even begged for. If they had that type of payment model - namely where if you subscribed for a year, you could stop paying for up to a year without losing access to your files, just lose access to updates, *then* people like me would be happy. Apparently Adobe doesn't think this blend of payment models is suitable for their global market for some reason.

You say that many people don't care about losing access to files if they want to stop payment. I say the opposite. I don't know anyone who has a personal license for Adobe that doesn't care about this. I don't know anyone who owns a business who would be OK with losing access to their work if something happened (ie getting sick or injured long term) and they couldn't pay the Adobe bill. And I gave an example of a case where this happened to a friend of mine, so I'm not making this stuff up.

But when you say stuff like that, it makes me feel like you don't care because you are a newbie to Adobe, maybe still in school or just getting into things. Many of the people you probably spend time with are like you and don't think about things like what they will be doing in 3 years or what life will do to them in the next 5 years.

I can appreciate that Adobe wants to make more money, but I really don't think they were having problems paying their bills with the old model. They just wanted to make *more* money and find an easy way to do it. Adobe was not in financial problems. That is *not* why we are having this issue. If it was, they would be looking for ways to keep every last one of their customers. they aren't. They merely introduced a way that they could "encourage" (extort) their customer base to a payment model that was as much or more than upgrading every single year/product cycle - even if they haven't introduced any developments worthy of a new product cycle. Sure, they lost some customers, but less customers = less work. More money for less work = win!

Sort of...

From my point of view, I have seen a galvanizing of people towards pirating the software. Whereas before, it was guys who couldn't afford it because they were students or something, now it's also become a matter of striking back at a company trying to do evil. I encouraged many people to "go legit" during the heyday of CS5.5 and CS6. And some of my reasons included the fact that Adobe had made their software an industry standard and had drastically improved pricing for people to get into it - especially via the educational route.

Now, I have nothing to say to people like that. I can't encourage them to make a mathematically, creatively and longevity-wise bad decision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. They are not forcing anyone to use their software. They are forcing people to pay for their software if they want to continue to access *work already done*.

Well, you are right...they ARE "forcing people to pay for their software. PERIOD.  The 'work already done part is and isn't true.  if the work is DONE, you really dont need the work files anymore.  If you want to go back and do new jobs with the old files, you would need to use their software no matter what license is being used.  So yes, in effect, if you want to have access to old work, then yes you need to pay for the software to continue having access.  I am not sure it is that big a deal to that many professionals.  And again, there are workarounds.

In this country, many printing companies use legitimate software, but are still using CS2 or CS3. Small businesses are very common here and they have neither the cash flow nor the need to keep upgrading software that just does some simple stuff.

Those CS2 users are not customers anymore, they are simply old customers. They get a certain level of support, but no more.   Microsoft does the exact same thing with Windows......they no longer support Windows 3....LOL,,,,,

And they can continue using their old outdated software.  Adobe isnt cancelling the existing perpetual licenses. In fact it is still selling them in the form of CS6. The folks you describe can continue not upgrading and not getting new features they do not need forever.

As a result, we try to stick to broad compatibility. We have had problems with compatibility with CC when CC first got started. And that turned us off very quickly. CS6 is a reasonable standard and has been stable for a couple of years now.

Well, in one word - DUH.   CC hasnt been out that long.  CS6 wasn't perfect initially either.  I never buy cutting edge anything unless I need it right now.

I would guess that 60-70% of the companies we work with use CS6. We work with just two companies that use CC out of over 250. Oh and FWIW, most of those companies use Win7 rather than Win8 for similar reasons.

Well, that and the Win 8 interface SUCKS.  LOL

It's either increase my budget or go back to pirating like in my starving student days. I don't want this and I don't understand why Adobe is pushing me into this decision because I guarantee that it will be lose-lose for them. They will lose my money from the upgrade paths and they will certainly not get my money for CC - largely because the money they want for it doesn't exist.

So you want it but dont want to pay for it and that justifies piracy. GOT IT.   Hopefully your customers do not feel the same way.

You agree that the lack of these previously very good package deals is "a bit constricting"?

Well, yeah I do....I myself would like to see a bundle like PP...for video guys like me, omittting the illustrator and such.... as I said, I always got a bit confused about the various packages out there....and its likely that Adobe;s market research has shown that I was not alone.   I do feel they could have had a middle ground....but the price point would not have been much different.  They could have pushed up the price on the master collection and had a middle of the road at the same $600 a year.....A single app costs only $200 a year.....ALL the apps $600.  So how do you break up the collection to a point where you satisfy everyone who wants to custom tailor a 2, 3, 4, 5 app bundle?  Maybe some sort of buy one, get one 10% off, then third at 15% off etc....I dunno.....the $600 a year is not a bad price even for people who just need PS, Premiere and Audition.....in my opinion.

Speaking of which. The full bundle for CC is $359 - for the first year only! Which would be OK. If I planned my budget for things like Adobe in 1 year chunks. However, I have been using Adobe software for over 10 years now.

Yes, it is a first year discount to sway folks already using the perpetual license CS to the CC.    It is a $250 savings, less than what a normal upgrade would cost for the first year..  Ramping into the new program.

The cutover from one license method to another usually DOES "screw" someone............that is with anything.

Now, are they permitted to raise their prices? Sure. By all means.

But you have to understand a couple of things: #1 - people will only continue to pay higher prices if there is significant innovation.

and #2 - if there isn't innovation, Adobe needs to find a way to give people no choice... but then that would invalidate #1.

How can you look at Adobe products overt he last 15 years, if you are truly a long time user, and say they haven't had major innovations?  Is a major new innovation going to come out every 6 months?  Of course not......it has never been that way....but many many small, incremental improvements adding up over time.

As I said, if you feel you can find a better platform out there at a better price and with a perpetual licesne , this would be the time to cut bait...you will still have access to all your old work, and you can start fresh with a platform that , in theory, is 'Cheaper".

The reality is that I will probably have to do a career switch within the next 5 years anyhow. And in doing that, I will undoubtedly be relying on my personal copy of Adobe software *and* be in a position with low income for a period of time.

Having looked at a "slow" time as well, I understand that feeling and I wish you luck.  However, I think that piece of information is what makes all of your arguments make sense.....for YOU, it does NOT make sense to go to CC. Although like I said, I feel that the price is the same up til the 5 year point given upgrades etc the old way.  But just because Adobe's CC doesnt fit your own personal needs or plan, well, sorry but that doesnt mean that it is "bad". It just doesnt work for you.   For some people, leasing a car is assinine...paying extra for mileage, damage, wear and tear, etc.   I used to be one of those folks who said I would NEVER lease a car.  Well, guess what I have been doing the last 3 years? It finally made sense for my situation.  One day it may not again and I will adjust accordingly.

Adobe is not bound to consider every single user's situation...just what they feel makes the most sense for their company going forward.  And again, the market will make it clear if it is a boom or bust concept or if tweaks are needed.

You can't just stop paying and go back to CS6, although this model has been suggested, requested and even begged for.

But you CAN do that.  keep your CS6 (or CS5 or CS4 or whatever) installed on a box with the license intact.

Another box has your CC on it. You decide to not continue with it, you go back. Adobe is not cancelling your license for software already bought and owned....is it??

Or am I missing something?

If they had that type of payment model - namely where if you subscribed for a year, you could stop paying for up to a year without losing access to your files, just lose access to updates, *then* people like me would be happy.

Errrrrrr....they HAVE to stop access to the software license for CC after just a year because you would have only paid $600 into a package worth closer to $3k.  LOL  You cannot keep using a car if you stop paying after a year for it on a 6 year plan.....LOL

That would be giving their software away.  You do not see that?

Or do you mean you would want to cancel CC after a year and then pay them the full balance due on a perpetual license for what you have at that point with NO FURTHER UPDATES?   I can see how that might be attractive to some....it an out.....I guess.

You say that many people don't care about losing access to files if they want to stop payment. I say the opposite. I don't know anyone who has a personal license for Adobe that doesn't care about this. I don't know anyone who owns a business who would be OK with losing access to their work if something happened (ie getting sick or injured long term) and they couldn't pay the Adobe bill. And I gave an example of a case where this happened to a friend of mine, so I'm not making this stuff up.

All these woe-is-me tales are great but it boils down to this -- if you want to have the "foreverness" to your files you have to pay for the software . And now that the "perpetual licenses" are no longer offered, it is what it is.  One can pay on monthly terms or by the year........

It is the entitlement attitudes in this world that have us where we are overall.   You have to pay for what you want to do.

Having the rights to a piece of software "forever" was once a viable option to allow customers to have.

Now, it is clearly not paying the dividends Adobe needs.

They are changing their pricing structure.  Look at it as a price hike if you want.

They have that right as all businesses do.

But when you say stuff like that, it makes me feel like you don't care because you are a newbie to Adobe, maybe still in school or just getting into things. Many of the people you probably spend time with are like you and don't think about things like what they will be doing in 3 years or what life will do to them in the next 5 years.

LOL Again, you dont know me.  As I said, been using Premiere since darn near its inception. Do the math and figure out how long that is.

I always have an eye to the future. I also have an eye for being reasonable. And I can do basic math.  And I can see that 5 years out is the breakeven mark.  So good for at least 5 years.

Who knows what we will be editing on in 5 years time.

but I really don't think they were having problems paying their bills with the old model. They just wanted to make *more* money and find an easy way to do it. Adobe was not in financial problems.

LOL.  I find that argument absurd.  Sounds just like the "occupy wall street" freaks who villianized big business for making money.

Who are you to say how much profit is "enough" and whether Adobe had issues paying their bills or not?  maybe they have major innovations in the queue that require more capital?  I myself would like to see those innovations come true. Or maybe they are having issues paying their bills....people talk about "user bases".....user bases do not make money for any company...PAYING user bases do. And people who sit on old products for a decade are not ANY company's target. Or, maybe Adobe just wants to make more money.  Its their right, as much as it is you right to choose another company's wares to create on.

All of this energy put into complaining about their licensing....just walk away ....keep your current software and buy something new and go that route.  Why make yourself miserable?  That wont change it.  The market will speak and that will decide if Adobe's new model sinks or swims....but that will take 3-5 years....and you said that you will likely be away from needing their products anyways....so it is moot for you.

Just move on if it doesnt work for you.

More money for less work = win!

Isn't that exactky what you and I have been doing with their software? Each new feature saves us work.....we can give more to OUR customers in less time.....that means more money for us, if done right.   So its OK for us but not them?

From my point of view, I have seen a galvanizing of people towards pirating the software. Whereas before, it was guys who couldn't afford it because they were students or something, now it's also become a matter of striking back at a company trying to do evil. I encouraged many people to "go legit" during the heyday of CS5.5 and CS6. And some of my reasons included the fact that Adobe had made their software an industry standard and had drastically improved pricing for people to get into it - especially via the educational route.

So you admit that Adobe has made huge strides in the capability and the affordability of its software over the decades...allowing more people to access professional level tools than any other platform......right?

If you really felt that way, you would NEVER feel like it was ok for piracy to happen.  Going by your several comments about piracy, seems like you are Ok with it if you feel justified enough. Justify stealing all you want.....but unless you are stealing bread for your starving child, any theft is simply theft.   There is no justification for retail theft.   If you cannoty make a living using software, find another way to earn a living....but don't steal the software and claim its because the people who developed it are a big, bad , money hungry company.  That is a childish, naive and ignorant view to hold.

Legit businesses will either buy into the new pricing model or look elsewhere.   Hobby folks with some common sense will do the same.   Its either worth it to them or not and they will pay the price of admission or not.

But good luck stealing CC......LOL..I have a feeling it won't be that easy.  And maybe that is what Adobe was looking for all along...a way to stop people from using their work for free while at the same time making the income flow much more predictable so they can run their business and increase innovation ...or even just keep the lights on for regular support....more predictably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The CC PS and LB bundle is only $10 a month....$120 a year.  Photoshop CS6 is $700.    And if you are a CS user already, the full bundle is only $359 a year. That is less than the price of a normal paid update.

Yes, a little more.  So Adobe is not allowed to raise their rates for upgrades?"

What? It may have been that price for the FIRST year, but after that it's $50 a month or $600 a year. Talk about fudging the numbers.

"Someone can play with the numbers on either side of this discussion and "wag the dog".....many many MANY scenarios involved and there are pros/cons on either side.  Overall, the initial price of entry is MUCH MUCH lower and that will attract new customers.  Many people do not CARE about "having access to their files" for 10 years.....many people do a project and move on.  With the crazy advances in technology and software every day, falling back on an old work file is rapidly becoming a moot point. I have Adobe workfiles.  If you decide that you want to cancel CC TODAY, then yes -- anything you created yesterday will be unuseable......but that is more a business decision on "when" to cut bait."

What? "Many people do not care about having access to their files for 10 years?" I have spoken to NO ONE who is not concerned about being able to open and edit their files for MANY years later. I open projects (architectural) that are easily often three to six years old - and sometimes older. Maybe in YOUR industry you talk to all of the same sorts of people who really don't care, but I've never met ANYONE like that.

ANYONE who thinks that RENTAL-ONLY software is a good thing is simply incredibly naive OR an Adobe fanboy.

"No need to go personal with this.  having a difference of opinion on this doesn't make someone a sell out , a cronie or naive any more than opposing the changes makes you a pirate, education-license cheater or a cheapskate."

Personal? It's practical. Who IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would want choice removed? Seriously. Who?

"According to the Adobe site right now you can still buy CS6....so you have that choice."

I love this response since I've heard it so often. If that's what you call choice, then you really don't understand the concept and the gripe others have with this. You really are ignoring the issue if you truly believe this line of BS.

"LOL That is because not everyone sees this as a huge problem.  My opinion is that CC is probably better in many ways ASSUMING Adobe continues with product improvements over time. It isnt drinking the koolaid -- it is a thoughtful business decision."

And I find it amazing that so many don't see this as a huge problem. You continue to ignore the FACT that it's NOT about CC - it's about CC-ONLY. CC for some is great - and I'm all for it - CC ONLY is bad. Period.

And NOW you don't have that ASSET that you once had. Similar to renting a house, the money you rent goes down the toilet whereas the if you owned, it's an asset that you can SELL. Now of course unlike a house, the software will not appreciate - but is IS worth something for quite a few years. Since there are many copies of VERY old Adobe software selling on ebay and elsewhere, that is money that YOU and others on CC will never see - flushed as it were.

And that's not all...   I find it interesting that you ignored the other VERY important aspect of this removal of choice into rental-only:  Setting a terrible precedent that will ultimately end up with all of us renting ALL of our software instead of owning - JUST what the corporations want us to do. And how many of you are facilitating this? No one can successfully argue that if Adobe succeeds, MANY other companies will try this rental-only route. And if Adobe fails, then these same companies will think twice before screwing over their customer. Again, how many here are willing to rent ALL (or most) of their software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"According to the Adobe site right now you can still buy CS6....so you have that choice."

I love this response since I've heard it so often. If that's what you call choice, then you really don't understand the concept and the gripe others have with this. You really are ignoring the issue if you truly believe this line of BS.

What? "Many people do not care about having access to their files for 10 years?" I have spoken to NO ONE who is not concerned about being able to open and edit their files for MANY years later.

There is also one other choice you have,.....walk away from Adobe and find a better/cheaper/more flexible for your needs software. Keep your old Adobe software for opening up your 10 year old files you need and start new projects with new software. And cross your fingers that you have tied your wagon to software that can be trusted to go the long haul.

And NOW you don't have that ASSET that you once had. Similar to renting a house, the money you rent goes down the toilet whereas the if you owned, it's an asset that you can SELL. Now of course unlike a house, the software will not appreciate - but is IS worth something for quite a few years. Since there are many copies of VERY old Adobe software selling on ebay and elsewhere, that is money that YOU and others on CC will never see - flushed as it were.

Uhhhhhh....not sure, so dont quote me....but is reselling registered software legal ,per the license agreement? Could swear it says "not transferable" ? maybe so, maybe not......But I do know that as long as you continue to use the product , using the previous one to get new upgrades, you are not allowed to sell the old product since it was the base for the upgrade you bought.

So not sure why this is a point at all???

And that's not all...   I find it interesting that you ignored the other VERY important aspect of this removal of choice into rental-only:  Setting a terrible precedent that will ultimately end up with all of us renting ALL of our software instead of owning - JUST what the corporations want us to do.

And I find it interesting that you are overlooking the VERY important point of WHY Adobe is doing this......you can blow it off and say "it's a money grab"....or you can consider that Adobe has always been fighting a losing battle with product theft....people using educational licenses years after they leave school, installing a second copy on a friends computer when its supposed to be for BACKUP ONLY, not concurrent use, and downright piracy.

I used to use an editing package called Speed Razor, along side my Premiere box.....(long story).....it used a hardware dongle.....only ONE copy could run at a time because it was linked to that hardware dongle.  I think Adobe could have done that years ago......but didn't.  They knew that the educational maluse, the "extra" copies running and maybe even the piracy WAS in fact a way to get their software to take a major foothold and get it noticed...a decade or more later it has done just that.  Professional level products that are still in reach of anyone who has the desire to make it happen.

It really boils down to this in the end. Adobe will do what they need to do, and so should you.  Walk away or pay to play.

I do know that complaining on a forum, even an Adobe forum and accusing Adobe of being greedy and advocating piracy as some seem to be doing will get you absolutely no where.  Let your wallet talk. That is how its done.

If you can't swing $50 a month for your tools then you are in the wrong business or hobby.  Hell, many people pay twice that for a lousy cell phone or XBOX online play.  LOL

I think we are going in circles now......I am going back to editing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>is reselling registered software legal ,per the license agreement?

As long as a program was NOT used as the basis for buying an upgrade, or for receiving a Cloud discount... read License Transfer https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1355892

>people using educational licenses years after they leave school

An education license is sold at a discount to people who qualify... but the license does not stop when someone graduates

Also, because it was sold at a discount, an education license does not qualify to buy a lower cost upgrade or Cloud plan

As has been said over and over... keep what you have or subscribe to the Cloud or buy from a different company... choice works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"As has been said over and over... keep what you have or subscribe to the Cloud or buy from a different company... choice works"

Essentially the same "choice" existed before CC - Adobe just removed the CHOICE to own. THAT is the problem.

And in response to davez...  I already have spoken with my wallet. I continue use my last CS license and am using Sony Vegas and will be migrating over to Resolve. I already use Fusion for compositing. Adobe will never see another penny from me and I will do my best to steer everyone who asks AWAY from Adobe.

And nice move NOT answering the point and deflecting about setting the precedent of rental-only software. You have said NOTHING which leads me to believe that you have no legitimate answer - instead answering with another question. My DIRECT answer to you is...  I don't care WHY Adobe is doing this. And the FACT is YOU don't know why Adobe is doing this either - you are only guessing. MY POINT about setting a precedent is not based on guessing but OBVIOUS extrapolation. Try and answer the question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2014 Dec 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL.....Megalodon, you seem like  very angry individual...why all the hostility if you have already decided to jump ship??   LOL  Its just software we are talking about, not world peace.

And nice move NOT answering the point and deflecting about setting the precedent of rental-only software. You have said NOTHING which leads me to believe that you have no legitimate answer - instead answering with another question. ...snip.... MY POINT about setting a precedent is not based on guessing but OBVIOUS extrapolation. Try and answer the question.

I actually thought you could have figured out that I answered that question by how I was answering the others specific to Adobe,.....but to be clearer for your sake, I will specifically answer:  It doesn't bother me at all if other companies go this route, not that it matters because companies will do what they need to do.. You can march in the streets and hold up signs protesting this and all it will do is give the companies more press....and there is no bad press.

This move will make the software available , legally, o more people who claim they can't afford the initial entry fee of paying for software all up front. I mean, $50 a month for a full suite of pro tools? That is a steal!  Most folks do not have $2500 laying around so this new plan will put the software into more hands.

My feeling is that the lower price of entry will be great for many folks.  You call it "renting", and maybe it is.   Fact is, you own the software and pay for it only as long as you need it. 

You have been very vocal in calling up the negatives (to you at least)....how about the positives??

This VERY MUCH helps the person who decides to want to do some work with this software and is possibly new to it.......they can go month to month or yearly on the master collection and have access to all the pro tools, with support and with uodates.........then if they change their minds after a year, or when the project is done, they only have $600 (or less) into it and can walk away rather than having $2500 and be unable to sell it (legally)..........or perhaps a company who wants to bring in a contractor for a year or two for a project..that "seat" can go away after the project is over and the contractor leaves and the company will not own a "spare" piece of software going unused. Or for the hobbiest who uses the software only to do seasonal work for his family or for his local church or school....he can own the software long enough to do the work and then store the work files and give up the software til next year and re-up for it.   This approach saves money for that type.

The people who want to use the software long term for business or hobby and recognize this as an opportunity and who are fine with it will continue to use it as usual.

That leaves the folks who want to keep upgrading their (now illegitimate) educational or pirated copies and those who would rather spend $2500 up front for some reason rather than take 4 years to pay the same amount and never upgrade for that 4 years yet expect support from Adobe at every turn.........well, those folks are going to be out of luck.

Hope that answers your question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

will be migrating over to Resolve.

Actually I too was investigating resolve.....with all that is "new" for this version...wonder how many bugs and such there might be?

Curious to see the other requirements for it and how they will handle updates/upgrades etc.

The nice thing is that they claim to have full compatibility with FCP and Premiere, etc files......

From the Blackmagic site:

DaVinci Resolve is a dongle licensed application and can be installed on Windows or OS X without additional hardware.The dongle will need to be connected to the computer whenever using Resolve - if the dongle is accidentally removed during editing you will be given a chance to save your project before the program automatically quits.

So it is definitely a ONE SYSTEM license.....should solve most of the piracy and "sharing" concerns.

Would be curious to hear back from you after using it for a time to see what your thoughts are in comparison to Adobe...........

As has been said, choice is GOOD!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as a program was NOT used as the basis for buying an upgrade...

Exactly....but how many folks out there were doing just that?   And Adobe had no way of knowing back then I guess cause it worked.  The old version installed perfectly and the original user was using the new upgraded install just fine......the only rub was that the "old" user couldn't register or get phone support....LOL...small price to pay to have thousands of dollars of software at a cut rate price.   It was stealing but they didn't care.

An education license is sold at a discount to people who qualify... but the license does not stop when someone graduates

Correct, for that version.  Upgrades are supposed to be full price once your educational status expires...and how many cheated on that? Not to mention, the edicational discount was Adobe's way of plating seed for future sales.....the theory being that when someone who goes to school and learns to use the tools they sell graduates, they will go get work in that field and then buy the tools full price.   By continuing to use the educational license until eternity, that seed is never grown.

Also, because it was sold at a discount, an education license does not qualify to buy a lower cost upgrade......

Unless you claim you are still meeting the educational requirements......

As has been said over and over... keep what you have or subscribe to the Cloud or buy from a different company... choice works

Agree 200%!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a long time customer, I am also extremely unhappy about the elimination of perpetual licenses.  The bottom line is that as a customer I have a right to say yes or no to future purchasing decisions, and if Adobe does not bring back a perpetual license option, I will be looking at alternatives.

BTW,  I do not need a lecture from those who support the CC idea trying to convince me how great of an idea this CC licensing is.  I am quite capable of determining the value prop myself.  If you like it, great.  But stop trying to convince me that I should like it too.  I simply want choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I persoanally have no issue with the CC...actualy I prefer it. I earn profit through ther use of the tools so for me to pay $30 a month (what I am paying now) it is very easy for me. In the past as a Master Collection user for years and the Web and Video Bundles before that, it was diffuclt sometimes to come up with the $600-$1200 upgrade fee when a new version of the software was released. So for me to pay $30 a month ($50 soon) is easy, to me it's just like paying the upgrade fee but broken down into payments and I have access to any tool I want, any time I want.

That being said I can see where you guys who do it as a hobby and aren't profiting from what you do with it would benefit from a one time license fee.

But I ask if you aren't making a profit and are just using the tools as a hobby for fun then why would you want to spend a large fee on a license anyway?

Wouldn't Photoshop Elements be a better solution? $50 bucks or so and it yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shane,

To answer your question, I only use 2 CS products, LR and PS. I upgrade LR

every release ($80 every 18 months). I upgrade PS about every 2nd or 3rd

release ($250 every 4 to 5 years). That's around $500 over any given 5 year

period. The CC will cost me $3,000 over the same period (not including 1st

year discount). $500 vs $3,000. Not trivial. For my hobby I can handle

$100/year but not $600/year.

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shane,

I can't speak for anyone else, but as a hobbyist I have purchased versions of Adobe software because I love creating with them! I come from a painting background, so being able to bring subjects to life with the likes of After Effects, Premiere, Photoshop and Illustrator (and other software...) is immensely rewarding...even if I still suck. I don't say this in any way to be snarky or be confrontational, but why not ask anyone who persues an "expernsive" hobby...why they don't persue a cheaper route? Maybe because they love the tools they invest in...when they can afford to invest in them?

I have looked at the Cloud option since it was introduced, and the overall affordability didn't work for me. Now there is basically a "one size fits all" plan...and if you can't pay your tools STOP WORKING!

Please don't do this Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lushlush2000 wrote:

I don't say this in any way to be snarky or be confrontational, but why not ask anyone who persues an "expernsive" hobby...why they don't persue a cheaper route?

That's true...good point. For me the tools are for work. I have been using Photoshop, Illuastrator Premiere, After Effects, etc since 1999 or so in a proefessional context. By professional I mean earning a profit from the work I do. To this day I have made 100% of my income from the work I produce with Adobe's tools. I have no issue paying $30/$50 or even $100 a month (which I did when Master Collection 5.5 came out). For me it's nice because I just have the monthly payment go on my business Visa and I don't have to worry about coming up with one large payment to do the upgrade if I wanted to do so every cycle.

But I do see from your stand point where the CC can potentially hurt the hobbyist. Where you guys can pay a one time license fee and use your software indefinitely if you so choose. That will suck for you guys having to pay a monthly fee for just a hobby if you're not earning a profit from what you do.

I understand Adobe's thinking on it from a business perspective. If you want to use their tools, you pay the fee and they have a steady monthly revenue coming in as opposed to the one big sales spike when a new software cyxlwe is released. So from their perspective I can see why they would go that route. Also from a manfuiacturing cost they must be saving alot of money on not having to having to distribute CD's, packaging, etc. In that context they are kind of following suit with Apple in the sense that everything now is going the way of the "app" in the "cloud".

But again from your perspective I do see how it will hurt alot of you...and I sympathize.

From a business perspective I think the only way that Adobe would change their view on the CC Subscriptions versus licensing is if the CC subscriptions do not generate the revenue they anticipate. I personally think it will but if they lose enough customers and thus revenue any business will rethink their strategy.

When we are in the forums requesting features, improvements, etc., I think Adobe is all ears as they want to improve their products for their customers which of course leads to sales. In this context regarding the payment options I think you guys can type away in these forums until you wear your fingerprints off and Adobe will not flinch...unless they start losing revenue from defecting customers.

And lastly...as much as people are complaing and threating against the Cloud, etc...the bottom line is no one out there really has the tool set that they offer. There are other vendors out there with comparable/similar products, etc but there is only one Adobe...and they know it lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And lastly...as much as people are complaing and threating against the Cloud, etc...the bottom line is no one out there really has the tool set that they offer. There are other vendors out there with comparable/similar products, etc but there is only one Adobe...and they know it lol.

They very much know it. They've spent the last decade buying out every serious competitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr Skydiver you are totally right, this is not just a problem for the hobbyist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see any serious business putting ANYTHING out in the cloud. Too vulnerable to industrial espianage (Yeah, I read their blurb about how secure the data is, but IMHO, it's marketing, and any sane company will not allow its employees to put anything sensitive somewhere they can't control)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't mind the monthly fee for CC.  I'm not making money from it now, but hope to at some point. Meanwhile, it's a moderately priced, intensly enjoyable learning experience, that has profit potential as my skills grow. I love exploring the apps I don't know, and growing skills in the ones I do know. It's a lot cheaper kind of fun than a lot of other things I observe people sinking money into. I guess for those who have so much hate for Adobe, they are free to find something else. If they are making decent money with Adobe software, well, I wish I was in their shoes, and $50 per month doesn't seem too nasty of a price to pay for the tools of a trade. Take a look at what traditional art supplies, woodworking, or auto repair tools cost! And what about keeping a wide carriage photo printer fed and working? I used to have a bookbindery and there were many jobs that I lost money on or made 1.00 or less per hour. Yes, you do own many traditional tools, but you still have to maintain them, buy supplies, and keep up with new developments. It seems to me Adobe cares about creativity--based on the quality and functionality of their software-- that's just my opinion, which no one solicited or paid me for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bobmepp, I'm interested in what you will do with your files once you cancel your subscription. You won't be able to open any of your work documents, because you no longer have the software to open the original files.

If you have an indesign document (eg book) you won't be able to open that indesign document again, unless you start up the subscription again. If you have an illustrator file or photoshop document, using many of the features of that version program, you won't be able to open them again.

Are you happy to lose the ability to open your own work at a later date?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 09, 2013 May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pauls Sloss, I'm reasonably sure that I will continue to subscribe, or if not, that I will keep a copy of CS6 going if I choose to put out the big bucks single fee to do that, or that the marketplace will provide alternative software that will open the formats I use. Or, maybe, as I age, I will focus on one thing only and pare down to say, just Painter, which will open my photoshop docs that are saved in compatability mode. I also believe that Adobe is not evil, and not an absolute dictatorship, and, if the reaction is severe and broad enough, they will have a "new coke" moment and back-track, reduce the subscription price or react in some other way that will make their customers happy and protect their profits.

Actually, and not to troll or be depressing, what I am not happy about, is the acidification of the arctic waters, the warming of the antarctic, the patenting of basic seeds and parts of the human genome, for-profit health care, the earth's failure to cooperate on asteroid protection and instead the arming-to-the-teeth of both nations and individuals, and the buying up of newspapers and other media to control what people read and think. Look up those topics and you will see the names of corporations and their government minions who are really in the business of evil. In my mind, Adobe is not even a player in the corporate evil game.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 09, 2013 May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bobmepp wrote:

Pauls Sloss, I'm reasonably sure that I will continue to subscribe, or if not, that I will keep a copy of CS6 going if I choose to put out the big bucks single fee to do that, or that the marketplace will provide alternative software that will open the formats I use. Or, maybe, as I age, I will focus on one thing only and pare down to say, just Painter, which will open my photoshop docs that are saved in compatability mode. I also believe that Adobe is not evil, and not an absolute dictatorship, and, if the reaction is severe and broad enough, they will have a "new coke" moment and back-track, reduce the subscription price or react in some other way that will make their customers happy and protect their profits.

Actually, and not to troll or be depressing, what I am not happy about, is the acidification of the arctic waters, the warming of the antarctic, the patenting of basic seeds and parts of the human genome, for-profit health care, the earth's failure to cooperate on asteroid protection and instead the arming-to-the-teeth of both nations and individuals, and the buying up of newspapers and other media to control what people read and think. Look up those topics and you will see the names of corporations and their government minions who are really in the business of evil. In my mind, Adobe is not even a player in the corporate evil game.

I agree with your global concerns, however I would draw parallel with seed patenting and Creative Cloud. (and for the record I don't think Adobe is evil, just self-interested). A farmer who used to sow crops and rely on seeds from his own crops who now buys patented seeds from Monsanto that produce sterile seeds when they come to maturity, is a similar situation to a designer's Creative Cloud documents and thier subscription to Adobe. In both cases the farmer's and designer's long-term livelihood is tied to a subscription to these corporations.

When Macromedia was bought by Adobe and discontinued Freehand, I was able to keep my copy of Freehand and access the previous 10 years work. Illustrator could open some of my work, but not very well, usually with some loss of content or unfinished layout. As I had thousands of files, and still needed to use some for reprints and others to develop new templates into Illustrator or Indesign files, this work spanned many years. I wouldn't have been able to do this if I was already on Creative Cloud and for some reason had to change: can no longer afford a subscription, Adobe goes bust, I move to a country where Creative Cloud is not available or has a bad internet connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 10, 2013 May 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pauls Sloss, the parallel between CC and patented seeds is a good one that had not occurred to me. Also, you have helped me to understand the dilemna that CC can bring to those with a long history of work in older versions of the software as shown in your example about Freehand. Also, I am not young, and a latecomer in life to graphic arts, and don't have long history of older work to draw on, so you have helped me to understand the plight of those in your situation that the CC switch has brought about. It does appear that Adobe needs to offer more flexible options to their customers, and to be a little less "self-interested", as you put it.

One option Adobe should consider might be to have a sliding scale type of annual committment pricing, something like: $12 per app for 3 apps, $10 per app for 4 apps, $8 per app for 5 apps, and so on down to $3 per app for 12 or more apps. I would pay $36 instead of $50 under such a plan. This kind of pricing would be more fair, and could well increase Adobe's subscription levels. Thus, heavy users would pay $50 or more, and lighter users proportionally less.

Message was edited by: bobmepp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines