• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
Participant ,
May 13, 2013 May 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Mike;

FAQs are written in near generalities as possible with no promises to customers.  IMHO, they're written to ignore previous FAQs.

Does anybody trust what Adobe says?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anybody trust what Adobe says?

I don't know if it's a question of trust but more a question of choice.

The Creative Cloud is the future and it is the way to go. However, the pricing of it needs reviewing (particularly here in Europe) and it needs to be more customisable. The choice should be as the petition* above advocates, that those who do not wish to use the Creative Cloud should still be able to access the software via a download at a fixed price (I realise DVD's will be obsolete soon) and not effectively have to take out a mortgage.

I've been using the Adobe cloud since its inception 12 months ago and used Illustrator and Photoshop since 1990 when it came bundled with a flatbed scanner. There needs to be more choice in the cloud and the option to download Creative Suite 'in-situ' without having to pay monthly subs. I've cancelled my membership today as there isn't enough options that match my price/what software I need. If I had more CHOICE at an affordable price then I'd re-sign immediately.

* Derek Schoffstall's petition has really got a head of steam now.

BM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone point me to a never-ending subscription plan for software that has ever succeeded? I don't mean to be snarky here. I am honestly wondering.

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 12:31 PM, Kwan Parker <forums_noreply@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

l believe some CAD software  at least

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pagemaker,

Pagemill

Framemaker,

ImageReady,

GoLive!

Posters might provide their own list of Adobe abandoned products.  Your products are probably not the Adobe products I bought which were abandoned. 

How many of these products did Adobe actually create?  How many originated within Adobe?

Adobe resells software technology they paid money for.  And so, now Adobe thinks the model is to exploit their customers with a 1950 book club/World Book Encylopedio model?  Where can you now purchase World Book, except in used book stores,?  Or, book clubs?  Who is the Adobe CFO who approved this?

User to user forum . . . anybody know this guy/gals name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GoLive! used to be "CyberStudio" before they bought it. It was a German product.

Flash used to be called "Macromedia Flash". Macromedia bought Flash from a company based in San Diego where it was named Cyber Splash (rarely, if ever, reported).

I met the developer in San Diego at a tradeshow prior to being sold off to Macromedia.

Cyber was a popular naming word.

I also recall using the what is now Photoshop under another name prior to Adobe buying it way back in the early days.

Adobe also had an application that was their version of Flash prior to them buying Flash. I paid a couple hundred for that and they dropped it a year or so later. No stamina or focus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 15, 2013 May 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gepkes,

My first purchase from Adobe . . . if that was what they called themselves . . . was a font collection sold on 3.5 inch diskettes.  You wrote:  "I also recall using the what is now Photoshop under another name prior to Adobe buying it way back in the early days."

When Adobe bought Aldus, that, and the font collection, was how I got sucked (with much joy and appreciation) into Adobe products.

Till now, IMHO, Adobe always offered extra value to new (take over customers from bought companies) and to their loyal base.

Not anymore.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, i'm about to apply for social security.  What I do or don't say doesn't much matter.

What's that classic cliché?  "Don't piss on my leg and tell me its raining?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe software is corporate bought software

Want to know . . . which Adobe products Adobe created from scratch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Adobe software did Adobe actually create . . . ?

Waiting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you are right Kwan they have over the years bought out everyone. As has Apple and they make it seam like they are in competion with each other.

Photshop came out of ILM via john knoll

Flash shockwave, dreamweaver final cut pro from macromedia

Illustrator ?

After Effects bought way back i dont know who invented it

They bought there silly clolor grading App that no one needs Davinchi rocks

I am unaware of naay software Adobe has invented on its own ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 20, 2013 May 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator originated from Apple Macintosh in December 1986.  I never knew that, but then I started with a PC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Illustrator

Photoshop.  Developed by Thomas Knoll in 1987 and was called Display.  His brother John recommended that Thomas turn it into a full-fledged program.  It was later turned over to Adobe in September 1988.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoshop

After Effects was originally created by Company of Science and Art in Providence, RI, where the first two versions of the software, 1.0 (January 1993), 2.1 (introduced PowerPC acceleration in 1994), were released by the company. CoSA along with After Effects was then acquired by Aldus Corporation in July 1993, which was then acquired by Adobe in 1994, and with PageMaker and After Effects. Adobe's first new release of After Effects was version 3.0.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/After_Effects

The list could go on.  Just do a search in Wikipedia.org.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator (Illustrator 88) wasnt available for use until 1987.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's why I provided links so I didn't have to quote everything.  Yes, the source says it shipped in January 1987 and was a commercialization of Adobe's in-house font development software and PostScript format.  The rest you can find at the links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aside from what the Wiki says we were never able to get our hands on a working copy of Illustrator until August 87.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gepkes, once Adobe acquired a working copy . . . what did they do with it?

still have a problem with making graphs and statistical stuff.  Not of interest to Adobe.

Adobe charges extra for what their arising competition might charge

Hey, some of us have been with you since the only thing you did was sell fonts.  Not, anymore..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea:

How did a Windows' early font company come to monoplize industries?

Kudos to Adobe for . . .  maybe . . . pulling it off.

Worthy of how a historian might without lies tell how Adobe pulled it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haven't seen a comment in this thread today.

Maybe Hitler and Adobe were right.  Rant as loud as you can . . . then submit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kwan Parker wrote:

Haven't seen a comment in this thread today.

Maybe Hitler and Adobe were right.  Rant as loud as you can . . . then submit.

What time zone are you in?  Because I see 8 comments (including yours) from this thread that are today. Today being 5/20/2013.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check this out..... http://vimeo.com/66594939   These are the kind of people they are losing.....not good for Adobe's long term stability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 21, 2013 May 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome!  Hatteras!  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 21, 2013 May 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Evidently, jbjones, not your time zone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update on the petition, has passed 21,000 signatures & still going...

https://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-eliminate-the-mandatory-creative-cloud-s...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kwan, I think people have told Adobe their opinion pretty clearly. Now we are waiting for Adobes reaction. If nothing changes, Adobe will loose us.

I personally will never "submit" to this extortion. Bad behavior should not get rewarded in any way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://c.gcaptain.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/LocutusOfBorg2367.jpg

I overheard an Adobe rep state that there wasnt much care or concern within Adobe for the people not happy with the new direction they plan to take creatives, stating "They will assimilate". So yes... You will assimilate. You are a Cyborg. You will be connected to Adobe forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, well Adobe, either you take the thousands of dollars I'm willing to throw you for copying your ones and  zeroes on my computer, or you don't.

If somebody was offering me those kind of sums for just copying digital content it would be an easy decision. But apparantly Adobe is fine with not taking our money. Good for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines