• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
Participant ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcus Koch wrote:

Have you read the new license terms? E.g.:

2.1.5 Dual Boot Platform.

2.2.3 Restrictions.

Marcus, where did you find these terms? I can only find one reference to to terms & conditions from the FAQ here: http://www.adobe.com/misc/terms.html

These terms don't list anything about Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is amazing.  Part of the idea of "Creative Cloud" (Cash Cow) was to be able to create anywhere.  But now Adobe is punishing us for doing just that.  Having to purchase a separate license on each operating system? Bleach.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

W_J_T wrote:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57589309-92/adobe-competitors-pounce- after-subscription-backlash/

Adobe competitors pounce after subscription backlash

Companies like Corel, Xara, Nitro, Nuance, Quark, and Pixelmator are taking advantage of customers' displeasure with Adobe's shift from selling Creative Suite perpetual licenses to Creative Cloud subscriptions.

And after 3 yrs they can raise the price to anything. Most of your users don't want subscriptions period.

I previously said they were clueless and this pretty much proves it.

Taking my $ and leaving Adobeland. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a discussion on the Adobe cloud facebook page, regarding:

What happens to Typekit webfonts if a subscription is ended?

I added:
If you design a website you have the choice to use free web fonts like Google fonts, purchase a web font at a font store, e.g. myfonts.com, or use a font subscription service like typekit.  You have to consider the pros and cons of each option. Free fonts are free, but the selection is limited. With subscriptions services like typekit you have access to a lot of fonts for a flat yearly fee (e.g. $49 for 500.000 page views per month).  Purchased web fonts can be licensed for perpetual use and for use on multiple websites. Cost for fonts is cost that the client has to cover. Subscriptions are great if the client uses a lot of different fonts, but you need to be aware that the fonts can’t be stored on your server and if the subscription server is down your website won’t display well. So you need to balance value, price and availability and decide what is best in the specific case. Here you still have the choice to select what’s best for you resp. your client (very different from CC).

Adobe added typekit into CC so designers will use them and then have their clients pay for them. I think this violates anti-trust laws. Adobe should be forced to give users a choice, so that they can use other subscription based fonts from other companies or perpetual licensed fonts form other companies. Here Adobe uses its suite to favour its own service. (just think about Windows and IE). If Adobe would have integrated a general interface were various font shops can provide a try and buy feature, like the plugin that fontshop.com offers, the designer or his/her client would really benefit from this time-saving creative workflow. At the moment it’s merely a benefit for Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcus you can find information on how to add your own licensed fonts to Typekit at http://help.typekit.com/customer/portal/articles/6783-bring-your-own-license-to-typekit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, thank you for that information. I and probably many others were not aware of it.

If I understand correctly, I still don't have any option to try out a third party font in an app, before I purchase it. Is this correct?

I don't understand why I should use Typekit to host the font. If I purchase the font I would put it on the websites web server, so it would not depend on a third service

Is there any central service or extension where I can try out desktop fonts for print in an app and if I like it license it from with in the app?

Marcus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcus I would recommend contacting our Typekit support regarding the specifics but the rights to utilize the fonts from several font foundries is included with the subscription.  So there is no additional cost for the fonts from the foundaries.  There are also options available to host and utilize your own or purchased fonts.  I would recommend contacting our Typekit support at support@typekit.com for more specific information.

You can also find more information regarding Typekit in general at https://typekit.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marcus,

It's really good to think about all the options. I might be able to shed some light here.

> Adobe added typekit into CC so designers will use them and then have their clients pay for them.

There is always a choice when it comes to the web and desktop applications. Other font services can be used for any websites Adobe customers build. Perpetual licenses purchased from other sources will still work in your desktop apps as they always have. We just want to make that as simple as easy as it can be for our users.

> If Adobe would have integrated a general interface were various font shops can provide a try and buy feature...

A good suggestion and certainly something I can share with the team. Keep in mind that this is only the beginning. We're going to keep making this better and more useful over time. Giving users options is definitely something we're working towards.

If you have any further Typekit questions/feedback, feel free to drop us a line at: support@typekit.com

Cheers,

Benjamin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you heard that Encore has been retired. No Encore CC, not even bug fixes!!! You need to install Premiere CS6, then deinstall Premiere CS6 ONLY to keep Encore CS6. http://forums.adobe.com/message/5415893#5415893

Adobe must be completely gone insane, not only the directors.

Also: If you want to install another language you need to download and install the complete CC collection again for each other lanaguage. No language files that can be changed in the settings.Apparently you even need to change the language in the OS settings to start another language app. What crap did the programmers develop?

Typekit for Desktop is not working, Cloud Sync needs at least another month. Edge Code and Edge Reflow are still labeled Preview. Many customers report installation and login problems.

They really worked hard to kill themselves!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll figure it out tomorrow, but the CC installer STILL manages to create at least 44 language versions of legal documents and OBL documents and directories, to completely soup up the installation. My guess is it installs for each and every application in the CC around 700 useless files, 100 useless directories and slowing down the installation and using bandwidth. I'll figure it out tomorrow, but count on around 2 GB of wasted space and bandwidth.

Who would need more than the language of the OS and the language in the location they are situated? What the f*ck do you need 44 other languages for and that repeated for every application? Adobe, grow up (I have been asking this since CS5...). You could have added Encore CC with room to spare in the download, instead of this sh*tty crap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you see the 2nd quarter earnings call? I didn't expect it to be so bad. Yes, Adobe earned a lot of money again, but with all the updates available, discounts running out in two weeks, and customers having no choice to get the new updates anymore they only managed to get (rounded up) 175 million additional subscribers.Before the new CC was inrtoduced at MAX Adobe had already more than 525 million subscribers.  CC is sold now for more than a year. In that time frame Adobe sold 4 million CS6 suites and 1 million CS6 single products. Because many customers switched to CS6 already the sales of CS6 will go down, too. If customers refuse to subscribe to CC at least until FJ3 calls Adobe is toast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

popcorn anyone?

I will start the fire.  Pick a song. Let's all sing how great the leadership has sunk the ship.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they have 525 million subscribers, I'm thinking 32,000 defectors aren't going to concern them to much.

Although I think 32,000 is plenty to justify the expense of maintaining a stand-alone version, I also have to imagine that at least 10-15% of those subscribers were just testing the water. Whether they continue with the subscription or go back to their CS4 and CS5 versions remains to be seen I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They don't have almost every tenth person in the whole world as a subscriber Those numbers are obviously off by some zeroes.

Anyway, I think many people will indeed quit their cloud subscription. Even I was considering trying out the cloud for a while before learning that Adobe makes it impossible to exit the cloud later on. It sounded like an ok deal before the May 2013 announcement of removing all exit options.

Now is actually the last chance to quit the cloud and still be able to access your files perpetually. I hope many people realize that either they quit now or stay forever, unless they are willing to loose access to their artwork later on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't loose access to your data files when you stop subscribing. You only lose the software needed to edit those files..

People need to be more precise about that to avoid sounding like A: you're stupid (regarding this issue), or B: you're intentionally spreading FUD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andy, you are absolutely correct.  Thanks for catching this. I'm too tired and need to go to bed.

Correct is 525.000 subscribers before MAX and 700.000 subscribers today. Adobe's forecast was 1.25 million until the end of this year. So they need a lot more. This is why they are considering the lower priced offers that the surveys were checking.

And now with the installation disasters, missing apps and services Adobe makes  even the cloud addicts angry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jbjones, if I can't open my project files anymore, then I have lost access to them. Doesn't matter anything if the ones and zeroes are on my hard disk or not, since I'm not able to do anything with them. If I have no way of opening my files, then I have lost access to my work. That's why I think your point is not really that relevant and IMHO falls in the realm of nitpicking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative Cloud launched - Now where are the downloads for CS6 versions?

As far as I can tell, the trials for CS6 "software" are now removed. Yesterday (June 17th) there was a direct link to an entire page for CS6 downloads, single and full suites. Today that link/entire page is now gone cmpletely. At best, access to them is now buried further than they already had it. Anyone have a clue if and where links to CS6 "software" trials are? All that can be found now are the CC "app" trials & tribulations.

Adobe claims to be giving "Choice" in the way of, old CS6 - vs - new CC, but they are making it so convoluted to find this so called choice, most will give up and just pick the CC as they seem to have hidden access to CS6 further by comparison. Am I missing something obvious as to where CS6 trials can now be found?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy Bay wrote:

Jbjones, if I can't open my project files anymore, then I have lost access to them. Doesn't matter anything if the ones and zeroes are on my hard disk or not, since I'm not able to do anything with them. If I have no way of opening my files, then I have lost access to my work. That's why I think your point is not really that relevant and IMHO falls in the realm of nitpicking.

If you really lost access to your files you wouldn't be able to send them to someone else who does subscribe and have them view or do work on them or borrow a computer with CS or CC and do the work yourself.

So I disagree with your limited definition of "access".

You lose access to the software, but not your files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

W_J_T wrote:

As far as I can tell, the trials for CS6 "software" are now removed, yesterday there was a direct link to an entire page for CS6 downloads, today that link/page is now gone. At best, access to them is now buried further than they already had it. Anyone have a clue if and where links to CS6 "software" trials are? All that can be found now are the CC "app" trials & tribulations.

Adobe claims to be giving "Choice" in the way of old CS6 - vs - new CC, but they are making it so convoluted to find this so called choice, most will give up and just pick the CC as they seem to have hidden access to CS6 further by comparision. Am I missing something obvious as to where CS6 trials can now be found?

"We no longer offer trials of the CS6 versions of the applications. Trials of the latest, most recent versions are available through Creative Cloud." from the Creative 6 FAQ page : http://www.adobe.com/products/cs6/faq.edu.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where morons roam, opportunity begins. Many users will eventually understand the cost associated to the Cloud and just open a file conversion business.  Another lost market Adobe can't capture.  They have just signed their own fate with this blunder.  Corporations will join the cloud on a single user basis and convert files to use the perpetual software long enough to fold the company. There are so many cracks in the sidewalk that someone is bound to make money.

Hmm....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

urdaddi wrote:

W_J_T wrote:

As far as I can tell, the trials for CS6 "software" are now removed, yesterday there was a direct link to an entire page for CS6 downloads, today that link/page is now gone. At best, access to them is now buried further than they already had it. Anyone have a clue if and where links to CS6 "software" trials are? All that can be found now are the CC "app" trials & tribulations.

Adobe claims to be giving "Choice" in the way of old CS6 - vs - new CC, but they are making it so convoluted to find this so called choice, most will give up and just pick the CC as they seem to have hidden access to CS6 further by comparision. Am I missing something obvious as to where CS6 trials can now be found?

"We no longer offer trials of the CS6 versions of the applications. Trials of the latest, most recent versions are available through Creative Cloud." from the Creative 6 FAQ page : http://www.adobe.com/products/cs6/faq.edu.html

Wow, less than 24 hours ago they were there. I was gonna wait for today to download and have archives of CS6 available. I can't believe this, so the "choice" gets more obscure and completely absent with everyday, are you serious Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jbjones wrote:

Andy Bay wrote:

If you really lost access to your files you wouldn't be able to send them to someone else who does subscribe and have them view or do work on them or borrow a computer with CS or CC and do the work yourself.

So I disagree with your limited definition of "access".

You lose access to the software, but not your files.

Another way of looking at it.

If your Blu-ray or DVD player breaks, most people wouldn't consider that you lost access to all your movies. Viewing those movies might be a lot more difficult if you have to convince a friend to have movie night at his house, but technically you still have "access" to your movies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, once you see the writing on the wall, you should always jump.  The software is available all over the Internet. Google is your friend.

It is a slight of hand to pull the software though. Long live CS6 which will bring it's creators to its knees.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Diablo Venom wrote:

The software is available all over the Internet. Google is your friend.

Yeah I know I could probably find the trials else where but are they clean and untampered with? What was the point of Adobe removing them, all the while claiming CS6 perpetual as an option of "choice" verse the Creative Cloud, where is the choice now for people?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines