• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2015 Oct 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well...
when Adobe originally went to this subscription service they advertised that artists could now, "Pay only for what you need" and how this would be a great thing for everyone...not so...it's a great thing for them. You pay for a year with monthly billing, whether you need the software for a year or not.

And you never really own it.
So we can pay them forever even if you aren't a constant upgrader.

Thankfully there are some great alternatives now, if you're a Mac user.
Affinity Designer can replace Illustrator for 49.99 flat.
Affinity Photo is an amazing Photoshop alternative for the same price.
FCPX and Motion can be used to replace Premiere and AFX, not as cheap as Affinity but the plugin market has everything you need and then some.
But yeah...Adobe subscriptions are yearly. At least that's the response I've been getting when I needed a piece of software for only 1 month.
Instead of raising the bar, they've only generated more room for the competition to swing in. And it's working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'll be traveling abroad from Saturday October 17th-Sunday, November 1st. I will have access to email, but my response time may be a bit slow due to the time difference.

Be patient, and I will get back with you as soon as I can.

Thank you.

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can get the individual apps for a month at a time and you can get the whole cloud  for a month at a time.

The whole cloud is $75/month on a month to month.

The yearly plan paid monthly is $49.95 but commits you to a year.

The yearly plan paid in full up front is $599 a year.]

You can also get just individual apps the same way.

Its all on the Adobe CC pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'll be traveling abroad from Saturday October 17th-Sunday, November 1st. I will have access to email, but my response time may be a bit slow due to the time difference.

Thank you.

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some apps...
Captivate, for example, locks you into a yearly plan.
AND, doesn't seem to do everything they've advertised without additional products, support, and fees.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2015 Nov 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats partly true....Captivate isnt in the CC plan.....It is available separately for $29.99/mth and yes it is an annual subscription commitment.....if you cancel aftert he first 14 days, the cancellation fee is $50 of the total yearly subscription cost.....12 months is $360...so after the 14 days it would cost you $180 to cancel -- whioch would be equal to 6 months.

Or you also have the option of buying the full license for $1,095. Or an UPGRADE to your current version.

Lots of options here IMHO.

Yeah, if you want to just buy Captivate for 2 months, you are kinda hosed.....but remember this subscription stuff is still new --- in the past if you wanted the software you HAD to buy the full license...so......cant see what folks are complaining about. 

I see nothing indicating that the subscription version has limited features anywhere????  The difference is that with the subscription version you get the updates free as they come available and woth teh full license you pay for them like the "old days". At least that is how I am reading it.

My take on it all is that I think they figure that Captivate is more of a commercial sort of tool for the majority of users...users that would not want or need the the software only a couple times a month. Its an elearning creation tool. How many hobbiests will be working with Captivate?   Whereas premiere, photoshop etc appeal to the hobbiest who wants to do personal stuff as well as the professional so they provide the month-basis plan as well.  I guess that leaves out the freelancer who builds elearning stuiff once a year but.....???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2015 Nov 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you'd be surprised at how many uses there "were" for Captivate beside the e-learning tool, and it's not all that great at that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2015 May 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I 100% agree. there is absolutely no way i'm paying a monthly subscription to Adobe. It's an outrage. Don't fix a problem that doesn't exist. I edit videos as a career, and i use premiere all the time, but i would rather use Imovie than pay a monthly subscription fee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2015 May 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Don't fix a problem that doesn't exist."

Uh...there WAS a problem...someone who buys a license one time and then uses it for 10 years is not as predictable an income stream as a subscription is.  It also pushes users towards more consistent upgrade schedules rather than folks wanting to wait 5 years then upgrade to the newest version thinking they deserve it at a reduced cost then sucking up all sorts of tech support trying to put sqaure pegs into round holes during the upgrade.

The old "perpetual license" model is a real pita for publishers to keep up with from a tech support standpoint and that costs them money.

And of course there is that other issue --- piracy.    The live online subscription model controls piracy much better.

So from Adobe's standpoint there is/was many problems with perpetual licenses. And they are fixing it as they see fit. 

"I edit videos as a career, and i use premiere all the time, but i would rather use Imovie than pay a monthly subscription fee"

If you seriously MEAN this then you do not edit videos as a career, no offense intended.  You would know the difference.  Adobe and iMovie are about as far apart in the 'professional versus consumer' realm as you can get. Nascar car versus a go cart....they both have wheels and engines but that is where the similarities end.......iMovie is a freebie app given with a VERY expensive OS/hardware package......Adobe is a very professional and robust set of tools purchased to do serious video work. Hopefully you were just being dramatic.

And that is how I see this whole conversation....dramatics.

Those who love Adobe software or otherwise have a need to stay with it will conform to the subscription models.

Those professionals who don't will either try it for a while and then move on or move on from the start and change platforms for a "better" software and see how they fare. 

But from experience, I know that the grass is never greener "over there".

"Free" software, or "cheap" software is rarely "great" and "professional" software".

Then again, a true artist can make a masterpiece using crayons and a piece of toilet paper as his materials.....its all in the matter of what features and tools you want/need to get your particular tasks done.

If something else works as good as or better than Adobe for you in getting your work done, go for it.   Its not worth worrying and whining about like everyone is doing IMHO.  You are not changing Adobe's mind by doing so...it is working for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like how CC works and there have been a lot of improvements. So in my case that's starting to be very cool. The only thing I really don't like is that if I don't renew my subscription

I can't use the application I've paid for the entire life cycle. In my case, financially speaking, I really live always on the edge and now that I've used CC and CC2014 if I don't have the money to pay

the subscription for the next year I can no longer open the CC2014 projects with my CS6 (which I'm happy to have with me).

If Adobe would allow a the users to use the applications they've paid for there would be no issues IMO. It would be fine to not use Creative Clouds if I don't renew

the subscription but if I've paid it for one whole year I see it as I have paid the update from one licence to the next.

(BTW Adobe in the past was jumping to a new release in 12 to 18 months never 5 years).

I've grown up as artist and I've been able to take care of all the post production using adobe applications from the editing to the graphics, the music and the special effects.

I really own my artistic career to Adobe for this reason I've felt betrayed from that terrible choice. I want to continue to support Adobe and give my money when I can do it

but I need to continue to work easily and that choice really complicated my life a lot.

I hope Adobe will work on this because in Italy a lot of users are in my conditions and feel very disappointed.

Best,

Davide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uh...there WAS a problem...someone who buys a license one time and then uses it for 10 years is not as predictable an income stream as a subscription is.  It also pushes users towards more consistent upgrade schedules rather than folks wanting to wait 5 years then upgrade to the newest version thinking they deserve it at a reduced cost then sucking up all sorts of tech support trying to put sqaure pegs into round holes during the upgrade.

Predictable income stream, pushes users to upgrade, all that benefits Adobe alone and what exactly does that do for the end user? Who are you are representing here, the end user or is Adobe paying you?

The old "perpetual license" model is a real pita for publishers to keep up with from a tech support standpoint and that costs them money.

I did tech support for Adobe, we had 3 tiers represented by roughly 100 people, Adobe's profits were not hurting, again this only benefits just Adobe. What it does for Adobe is make it so they can role out a product, even a failure, and still force an end user base to eat the failures cost giving them time to respond by improving the failure while getting paid for it.

And of course there is that other issue --- piracy.    The live online subscription model controls piracy much better.

Again no, look at Steam, they sell games, you buy online one (perpetual licensing), download, and Steam verifies you own the game for evermore, piracy is effectively prevented. Also don't forget all of our user accounts got hacked when Adobe put them on the cloud because their security blows! Not to mention their products security, Acrobat, Flash, ShockWave, they are all gaping security holes.

So from Adobe's standpoint there is/was many problems with perpetual licenses. And they are fixing it as they see fit.

There are no problems with perpetual licencing, but Adobe is definitely fixing it as they see fit regardless of what is good for the consumer or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Predictable income stream, pushes users to upgrade, all that benefits Adobe alone and what exactly does that do for the end user? Who are you are representing here, the end user or is Adobe paying you?"

LOL....so just because I am not running through the streets with pitchforks and torches screaming and yelling with you chasing the "monster", I am an Adobe plant or "representing " someone?

I represent no one but myself and my opinion is as I have described.

The new format DOES benefit the end user as I see it.....more frequent, smaller updates as you go, less likelihood of major system breaking problems.  MUCH lower up front cost.  More predictable revenue stream and tech support needs equals a stringer Adobe and that means good things for users going forward.  Anyone with a head fir business and not wrapped up in the "me me me" aspect of this will get it and liekly wont bother replying because of being attacked for that belief.....and they are too busy using the software to make money.

This thread started in May of 2013, 2 full years ago.  LOTS of whining and complaining about the evil new software "renting" scheme by Adobe.   I dunno....2 years later they are still in business and many people have bought into it and like it.....so.........what is tthe point of going on and on about this?  SOME PEOPLE DONT LIKE THE NEW SOFTWARE BUYING SCHEME.  WE GET IT.    How many times can the same thing be said though? Right?  I keep letting myself get sucked in...a glutton for punishment I guess....but I wont jump on the "string 'em up" bandwagon.....I recognize its a business decision.   Whether it hurtles Adobe to the tops of the business world or kills the company remains to be seen. I doubt the latter will happen.

"I did tech support for Adobe, we had 3 tiers represented by roughly 100 people, Adobe's profits were not hurting, again this only benefits just Adobe. "

Disgruntled ex-employee comments are not exactly what most would consider really objective comment.  

"What it does for Adobe is make it so they can role out a product, even a failure, and still force an end user base to eat the failures cost giving them time to respond by improving the failure while getting paid for it."

When has Adobe ever rolled out a "failure of a product" ?     In my eyes, as a user  for decades, every subsequent upgrade I have done has been bigger and better.

"Again no, look at Steam, they sell games, you buy online one (perpetual licensing), download, and Steam verifies you own the game for evermore, piracy is effectively prevented. "

Does "STEAM" put as much R&D into their product as Adobe does so that they can support PROFESSIONALS doing PROFESSIONAL WORK?

REDBOX is HUGELY successful right now too....they rent movies.  CHEAP.   Thing is, they rent a product that was produced by someone else. They pay royalties, sure, but they hawk someone else's work.......

Adobe has to find a way to make money selling what they have created.  Its a little different. So they have to look at different ways to do so.

"Also don't forget all of our user accounts got hacked when Adobe put them on the cloud because their security blows! Not to mention their products security, Acrobat, Flash, ShockWave, they are all gaping security holes."

Wont argue there.....but that just means that they are in the same boat as hundreds of other major companies.......I dont do anything IMPORTANT  in the cloud for this very reason.

"There are no problems with perpetual licencing, but Adobe is definitely fixing it as they see fit regardless of what is good for the consumer or not."

As a consumer you may not see the issues.  But a reliable revenue stream IS A MAJOR issue for business.  Hobbyists wont get it.  Employees of companies may not get it.   But business owners get it. May not like it , but they get it.

I am not 100% comfortable with the new scheme either....you don't "have something" in your hand after paying for a couple years and then stopping and walking away. True.  But I  argue that its like leasing or buying a car......leasing suits many and allows people to drive nice vehicles for less money up front.....and walk away from it later......you STILL had the experience of using it.  You paid for that experience.    Some say leasing a car is a ripoff and insist on buying new.....they pay big upfront costs and pay for 4-6 years on a car , because they want to OWN IT!!!   And at the end of 4-6 years they have a 4-6 year old car with problems and they dump it just to start the process all over again.  How is that better than a lease?  LOL   Same here.  You pay to use the software and when you are done using it or no longer need to use it, you walk away.  Its not like you have any need for old software anyways once its a few years old and outdated and you have stopped doing that sort of work.  For those who keep on keeping on, you just keep paying into it and you get consistent upgrades and support. You pay as you go and you go as long as you want. And walk away when you no longer want it.

In the end for an average user who upgrades regularly the outlay wont be worse.

The only people this new format screws are those who buy software and don't upgrade regularly...wanting to go years on end....and there are MANY who do that.....well, that is not a customer after a time....and when that person expects support years after the sale, it becomes a liability with no revenue attached. BAD thing to have...that's  Business 101.....

It is what it is.  There are many other options out there to choose from....if you think Adobe is an evil dark menace for doing what they have done, MOVE ON and buy another companies wares and get some peace back in your life.  Where does pursuing all this angst against Adobe really get you?  LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see a whole lot of reason to complain too much. Two years ago Adobe seemed like this unstoppable force but much of the competition is eroding Adobe's lead as of late. Many competitors are not only catching up with Adobe but leapfrogging them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌i understand your point of view.  Thank you for sharing.   I don't think Adobe is going to change and I also don't think this post is about everyone "whining" as you ineloquently put it.   If this was just a passing fad then this post would have vanished to obscurity a year ago...   However new people are posting here every few days/weeks.    there's really no reason to "line by line" argue points with people.   If you don't like this post thread you can go somewhere else And stop belittling people's experiences.  You are free to post your own Such as,  "I use creative cloud and I'm happy with it. ".  However you cannot argue with another person's experience.   It is their experience...  Not yours.

a business decision.   I get that..... and, they are surely entitled to make those about their business.  Even if this doesn't change anything at Adobe, I want other vendors to think twice before doing this.   The continued discontent demonstrates that the negativity the business choice creates affects a brand's perceived value In the public.

It does not go away in time.  It may not crush your company to make a call like Adobe did but be prepared for backlash if you do not provide other options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davez wrote:

... 2 years later they are still in business and many people have bought into it and like it..

I believe it is 4 million at last count. But how does that compare to their 12 or 14 million customers across versions prior to the subscription only move? I also wonder how many of those are first time customers and/or education subscriptions that will continue long term. I personally know at least three of them are first timers and subscribing under the educational discount. It will be interesting to see if the subscriber base completely tops out around 6 million over the next 4 years and if that is enough for Adobe to sustain itself indefinitely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe’s current goal is to have 6-million by the end of 2015, not in 4 years, although they may fall a little short:

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/17/adobe-picks-up-517k-creative-cloud-subscribers-in-its-fq1/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of that 4 million are customers on Adobe's $10 a month Photoshop / Lightroom plan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no issue if you like the cloud, by all means enjoy it, but at least realize the facts. There is no advantage to the end user that cannot be realized with perpetual licencing (Microsoft offers both successfully), lower up front cost, yes, but you don't own it and you must pay regularly, and like all monthly services after they have their base, you'll see subscription rates go up. Disgruntled? I was the largest fan of Adobe before the cloud. When has Adobe launched a failed product, easy WebMill a failed WYSIWYG HTML editor, Streamline was discontinued, and an old product I can't even remember the name of that Powerpoint killed off years ago. As far as Steam, we're talking about licencing and Steam does perpetual licensing very well while stopping piracy.

Glad to hear you don't don't do anything important in the cloud, least of all store your work there, it might fall in the wrong hands. As far as screwed, I got screwed out of $1080 in a CS6 upgrade only to have the cloud offered for a fraction of the cost months later. Adobe having recognized their misdeed offered to compensate me with 3 free months of the cloud or a copy of $70.00 copy of LightRoom, hardly a value for being one of the last to get the perpetual license before they pulled the plug. I should have been offered 2 free years of the cloud at what I lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2015 May 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep seeing the following comment by Adobe apologists: 

"Completely understand. That is why we continue to sell CS6 (indefinately), and plan to update it to support the next major releases of Mac and Windows."

The problem is you do not support latest codecs in CS6.  XAVC-L is a perfect example.  Either I upgrade to Premiere CC or if I want to use CS6 I have to convert everything first which is time consuming and difficult since CS6 does not support it.  It's obvious that Adobe is pulling every trick to force users to the Cloud.  I may be obliged to go this route as a temporary solution but Adobe has lost all of my loyalty as they have shown zero to it's long term customers.  I used to really like the company but now I despise them.  My future goal is to be completely Adobe free unless they abandon this subscription only nonsense.

I realize in the print world this easier said then done but the video editing world not so much.  It was not that long ago when Premiere was considered a bad joke.  It's a decent program now but definitely not the only game in town.  With innovative and customer friendly companies like Blackmagic coming on strong I'm not too worried about future options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I first read about the subscription format I was disappointed, surprised and left with a terrible sensation of loss. I have used Illustrator from version 3.0 and have always jumped at the chance to upgrade to the latest versions. I have used Adobe products at work and home for many years. I have always promoted the value of Adobe products.

I guess I should have seen this coming. We have many copies of CS3 Suite at work but can no longer use them as Adobe removed the updaters from their servers some time ago. We could not reinstall Illustrator CS5 as we replace aging computers as the updaters are also gone so we updated to CS6. I guess that was the point all along, force the customer to continue to buy. I understand the business model and the motives so I have to agree that Adobe was not created for social service but for profit.

I am the Operations Supervisor for a Veterans training and work program that has relied on Adobe products for 13 years. With the new changes there is no way for us to continue using and teaching Adobe products. We fall outside Adobe's business model and are not allowed to engage in ongoing contractual obligations such as subscriptions.

Keeping this program alive and functioning has always been a challenge. We have difficult restrictions, regulations and purchasing is complicated with a maze of paperwork. I have always found some way to keep moving forward. This is definitely a hurdle I won't be able to get around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received an Adobe survey tonight  called "You talk, we listen. Adobe needs your feedback: Please take this survey!" since I'm a CS6 production premium owner. Of course it was a joke - first question about Adobe  asked how  likely I was to use CC in the next 2 yrs. When I selected Highly Unlikely. The survey immediately ended and said I didn't qualify to take it.  No asking why I was highly unlikely to use CC.

Adobe doesn't really want to know what we think. Even the title of their survey was a lie.  I can't respect this company at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TheCoroner9 wrote:

I received an Adobe survey tonight  called "You talk, we listen. Adobe needs your feedback: Please take this survey!" since I'm a CS6 production premium owner. Of course it was a joke - first question about Adobe  asked how  likely I was to use CC in the next 2 yrs. When I selected Highly Unlikely. The survey immediately ended and said I didn't qualify to take it.  No asking why I was highly unlikely to use CC.

Adobe doesn't really want to know what we think. Even the title of their survey was a lie.  I can't respect this company at all.

Thanks so much for posting this. I have been wondering about this mythical survey since it was mentioned earlier. From your experience it sounds like a completely invalid survey and data collection, and Adobe certainly is not using it to listen to it's customers talk and express concerns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC is already cracked from my understanding.  A few more pissed off and soon to be fired employees will seal the fate. I could care less if they gave it away for free or change 15K per month. The business model of strong arming me as a customer has just ended. Oh wait. I'm not a customer, but a power user. That means I can comfortably not expect any more bugs induced into my environment and shall remain stable until I die. In all gratitude, Thank You Adobe for shoving your corporate head into your A$$. Congrats on that biological impossibility as a governing body.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines