• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
Contributor ,
Jul 30, 2013 Jul 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Australian Parliament urges citizens to bypass geo-locks on software

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/07/australian-parliament-urges-citizens-to-bypass-geo-locks-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 03, 2013 Aug 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loving Edius right now. (Huge thanks to Adobe for making me turn to them due to CC)

Just a little sad that I have to finish two projects on CS6 that were already started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if you need any more proof that Adobe doesn't care what you have to say -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd8CU4FGb6o

Their CC Overview for video pros video via Adobe TV disabled their comments due to all the negative reaction. (and that's not the only video that Adobe TV disabled commenting on).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also try to write an realistic, bad rating at their product web-site.

If it´s a one star rating it will never be seen there (it´s cencored). Guaranteed.

Tried that several times with friends from different countries.

They paint their cloud pink.

LOL?

You can also compare the Cloud rating at Adobes Website to that on Amazon (which seems to be more realistic)

LOL?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for the record, I have switched to Epidus Pro 7 also and have found

the transition very easy.  The program has very similar set up.  Trimming

is a lot easier also, which I enjoyed right off the bat.

Edius HASN'T CRASHED ONCE, while PP would crash daily.

which i could find a good replacement for AE

Also Edius is handling Gopro Hero 3 footage in real time without having to render, something CS6 didn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 04, 2013 Aug 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking about Edius -- it seems pretty reliable. It is good to hear your report on Edius. As for a substitute for AE, have you checked out Boris products?  They have some pretty nice products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2013 Aug 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John,

I am checking that out as we speak (or type).  I have never purchased any Boris and am actually overwhelmed by the choices and was wondering what you might recommend. 

I don't do much rotorscoping, but do use text portions, parenting and tracking quite a bit.  Also starting to get into 3D space.

I am very pleased with Edius and even tried calling support and actually talked to a real person straigt away.  So I an going to wean myself from Adobe.

Take care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 05, 2013 Aug 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i've been using Premiere for nearly 20 years but started using Edius as at the time it was far more stable with AVCHD than Premiere

Can I suggest that you also join the Edius forum, the guys there are every bit as helpful as the guys on the Premiere forum, in particular a guy called Anton from Sydney, he's the man.

Col

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG Adobe, get over yourselves already. You've successfully created a divide amongst creatives. Two thumbs down for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks and will do.  I too have been long time adobe customer, but cc won't work for me, as I want the software to be mine.  Also what chaps my butt, is that they are now going to control what hardware you will use and they are not keeping up with alot of the changes.  I knew when they started CUDA with only NVIDIA, that it would probably not be good for the consumers in the long run. 

I had to hack the ray tracer txt to put my TITAN on there, something I didn't want to do, but did with PP and AE

I just got an email for a retailer who says Edius will be available next week, which is just about when my trial stops. 

Who hosts the forum, Creative Cow or ...

Any suggestions for compositing apps. 

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 06, 2013 Aug 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/

Will get you to their forum, also sign up for the GV University

http://www.grassvalley.com/resources

Then you will have access to a raft of Edius tutorials similar to what you can find and the Adobe TV site

As for compositing, check out http://hitfilm.com/ for their software of the same name, this incidentally comes free with a certain Vegas pack.

Enjoy

Col

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2013 Aug 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Col,

Thanks again, Hitfilm looks great for what I want and I am going to give it a try.  I never even heard about it before you mentioned it.  Since I am leaving Adobe, I am going with companies that I think are going to be responsive to their customers, and I have had very good support from Grass Valley and looks like Hitfilm is really trying to make a go at being a serious product.  As I am not professional at this (but I do turn out professional grade training vids for my employer) I don't use the high end portions of AE.

I would go to Vegas, but Adobe and Sony about the same with customer support, i.e. nil. I used the trial version and it would not run my Gopro heor 3 footage real time, as it has a cpu intensive codec, i think LGOP.

So it looks like Ediud pro 7 and hitfilm ulitmate 2 should take care of me.

Thanks again for the tips,

Cheers,

Dale

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 08, 2013 Aug 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's trying way too hard right now to sell this cloud bs. Which says a lot. On their home page it states "New tools. Old school prices...For less than your monthly cell phone bill, get all the latest Adobe creative tools and services."

Uh huh, yeah, okay Adobe, whatever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 08, 2013 Aug 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just received an advertisement per email where Adobe states again 650.000 subscribers. I wonder what happened to the 770.000 Adobe announced at the last earnings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 09, 2013 Aug 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dale

Please let us know how it goes with Hitfilm

I only found it when researching an alternative to AE

Col

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wild guess: They came to their senses and left the Cash Cow for what it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2013 Aug 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Col,

Will do.  I have been traveling and just downloaded the trial and hope to play with it tomorrow.  I haven't seen much out there that looks like a good replacement for AE, unless you want to go with a Sony Suite or Avid, which I don't.  I have watched quite a few tutorials on Hitfilm, so there is a community out there, but not anywhere as sophisticated as AE or others.

I will keep using AE CS6 when I can, but I am using my GoPro Hero 3 just about everywhere now and the footage won't play back very well real time, so I am hoping Hitfilm will handle it better. 

If you don't mind me asking are you a professional guy or high end hobbiest like myslef?

Cheers,

Dale

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 10, 2013 Aug 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dale

Semi-Pro and hobbyist.

20 years using Abobe Premiere, Media Studio, Vegas, Edius, AE, Photoshop plus others and still learning

Enjoy Hitfilm, with them being a British Company I'd like them to succeed.

Col

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 15, 2013 Aug 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a way to get advanced shake reduction to the CS versions of Photoshop, if you don't feel like renting your tools:

http://www.piccure.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 16, 2013 Aug 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

....and the penny drops.

BBC reports backlash against subscription model (Photoshop).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23714699

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2013 Jul 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is it that apologists for CC and Adobe only talk about cost? The cost of CC is a major issue that they like to distort, but for me, and for many based on comments here and elsewhere, the real crime is the gun-to-the head requirement to pay forever if you want to be able to edit YOUR intellectual property.  Why don't we hear about what a great deal that is?  (Aside from the fact that there is no logical way to defend it.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2013 Jul 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the real crime is the gun-to-the head requirement to pay forever if you want to be able to edit YOUR intellectual property.  Why don't we hear about what a great deal that is?

Possibly because it's not a valid argument.  While you may own the rights to the original media, and the edited export, the project file itself is Adobe code, owned by them and licensed by you.

So your IP is what goes in and what comes out.  What's in between belongs to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Sure the application is not ours to "own", though we previously "owned" the perpetual right to use it (and sell it).

But the files we create are OURS. And if we can't open them, then Adobe does indeed hold a gun to our head. Which is a very valid argument. I would be very surprised if Adobe owned the code to my InDesign files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While you may own the rights to the original media, and the edited export, the project file itself is Adobe code, owned by them and licensed by you.

Oh really Jim? This is now the great reason why everyone should bow down and accept what Adobe is doing?

So Jim, you seem think that if Adobe wants, it could claim ownership of every PSD or PDF file ever created with their software. Think that would hold up in a court of law very well?

Or is your statement perhaps rather meaningless in the real world?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines