• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
Participant ,
Jul 12, 2013 Jul 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chazinbermuda wrote:

I particularly do not like the fact that once you stop subscribing you lose access to files... this gun to the head system is a reversal of motivation.... previously adobe had to keep us impressed so we kept buying their software... now that dont have to because if you stop subscribing poof goes those files.... this is not the Adobe I knew a few years ago... a company that cared about users and listened to them....

Agreed. The Creative Cloud is virtually the same as if Adobe canceled all CS5 licenses within a month of CS6 being released. If you don't upgrade to CS6 then you can't use CS5 anymore.

Can you imagine the outrage? Oh wait maybe it's like the outrage going on in here.

Money isn't the issue, as some have said. If you used the Master Collection and upgraded every version, the prices between CS and CC are very close. An expiring license is really the biggest change.

Well that, and the fact that they stopped offering all of the smaller suites which cost less.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Simply having a different opinion from yours, no matter what MY reason is, does not infact make it wrong.

Well, I would argue it can be wrong if stated as being based on factual errors.

"I think the color blue is great" is an opinion.

But "I think the the color blue is great because it's the color of the ground" is going to elicit people pointing out that the ground isn't usually blue (for example).

Some people have stated their opinion, but then also stated the alleged reasons for their opinion which seem to be based on faulty logic,  or incorrect information, or lack of complete understanding.

In those cases at least, it seems reasonable to expect a counter-argument on the apparent fallacies stated.

Whether or not people are swayed by a counter argument is another question entirely...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the rental model clearly works for you but for so many others it does not... and I am not talking about money... all users want back is choice... not a gun to the head rentals system that once you stop paying into screws all your files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rich_B3 wrote:

Adobe will collect $600/year from me in monthly installments, much more affordable.

Honestly ... if you couldn't afford, or didn't have the self-dicipline, to set aside a few dollars each week or month to save up for Adobe software purchase ... you are also quite likely to discover that you won't be capable of supporting a subscription infedinitely either ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

W_J_T wrote:

^ Indeed.

Well that and the pirates got CC working 1-2 days after it launched, so it seems like they were not inclined to pay after all or be converted to paying customers as Adobe had hoped. So we can write that one off regarding part of the reason for the CC endeavor. By the issues people are having with CC across the forums with the products, it seems the anti-piracy was not the only thing lacking or faulty when CC launched.

Right now with all the issues people are having with CC across the forums with the products Adobe couldn't even pay me to install CC. Adobe is going to have to come up with a lot better track record on release bug free software or fix bugs in a short period. Something that has been impossable of late for Adobe which I suspect is the real reason for going the rental route. Something tells me the quality of engineering at Adobe has taken a downword spiral lately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You got it all figured out don't you. All the answers fore everyone right Daryl: "And this might sound harsh but if you aren't making enough money to be able to afford $49 a month for ALL the tools you need to do pretty much ANY kind of creative work a client may ask for, it might be time for you to change to another line of work.  Heck, the guy who does yard work in my neighborhood spends more than that a month on his tools.  :-)"

I make $0 a month using this software. I use it on my own time off the clock for the benifit of the students. So yes it is a hard pill to swallow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you make no money and can't afford the subscription, how do you afford the £1800 to begin with?  This is the first time I've been able to afford my software comfortably, this is a much better option for people who only use the software casually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somewhere at Adobe headquarters, a room full of Ferengi are laughing maniacally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somewhere at Adobe headquarters, a room full of Ferengi are laughing

Haha, that's the best description I've read so far about this BS idea.

I already feel better without my bloated CS6. CC is such a no-go. I've opted for the pain of finding alternatives to the apps I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're going to do research into PS alternatives, please let us know what

you find

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris

The subscription model is good for those like you who are new to the products

For those of us who have been using them for many years and who only have to buy the upgrade version it is a financial disaster.

Have a look through the posts especially Harm's on the cost modelling, it will open your eyes, or at least it should

Have a great time in the cloud,

ps

If you take my advice I'd wait a while before updating to see what bugs the new system has............it will have bugs..................thats the Adobe way, the users debug the software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The subscription model is good for those like you who are new to the products

The subscription model is even worse for potential new subscribers than it is for those with existing CS products.  As someone who was about to purchase Photoshop CS6 when CC was announced,  I am faced with the prospect of purchasing Photoshop CS6 before subscribing to CC to safe guard my files.  Not an attractive proposition or a money saver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 16, 2013 Aug 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you already have a license then my advice if you also want the features of Creative Cloud but are afraid of the risk and Adobe's controls, is very simple. Keep your existing license, sign up with a new email address, and get Cloud and now have the ability to have Adobe software on 4+ computers... Best of both worlds.

Think about it, you've always probably wished you could have more seats without paying thousands of dollars anyway. This lets you create using the new features of Creative Cloud, but have the stability you've always had. And you can easily make sure that you export backwards compatible versions of your files, then you are never "locked out of them".

There is not a single "issue" of the Creative Cloud that a creative professional shouldn't be clever enough to solve, we fix bigger problems than this all the time. And frankly the Creative Cloud after 60 days (not counting the year plus of us early adopters), has been running fairly smoothly.

There are work arounds and alternatives and ways to deal with your Creative Cloud issues, its not nearly as bad as you think:

http://robertoblake.com/blog/2013/06/why-adobe-creative-cloud-is-not-a-trap/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you can easily make sure that you export backwards compatible versions of your files, then you are never "locked out of them".

That is simply not true. You can't open any CC PR project in CS6. There is no backward compatibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cc_merchant wrote:

And you can easily make sure that you export backwards compatible versions of your files, then you are never "locked out of them".

That is simply not true. You can't open any CC PR project in CS6. There is no backward compatibility.

Adobe Premier has the ability to export into the OMF (Open Media Format) which means that not only can this be brought into previous verions of Premier, but also Apple Final Cut Pro and Avid video editing software as well.

Beyond that see this thread in the forum: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1032691?PID=2159997

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is [language removed] itself on this new scam. End of story.

Mod note - bad language is not acceptable.

Message was edited by: VB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

creativetta wrote:

Adobe is [language removed] itself on this new scam. End of story.

I am afraid your right here.

"There are work arounds and alternatives and ways to deal with your Creative Cloud issues, its not nearly as bad as you think:"

And there in lies the tragedy of it all. Adobe has not bothered to fix one bug released with CC apps. IDCC is so slow it is not really usable. One would have to be blind not have see the ever downward quality of engineering spiral that has been going on at Adobe over the last few years, which I believe is the real reason for the change to the subscription model. To coverup this failure.

Adobe has not even gotten 1,000,000 subscriptions and many that signed up have cancelled. Actually down to 650,000 now. The failure to be able to sustain a working subscription will make this the most pirated version ever resulting in even more revenue loss.

The real tragedy is that Adobe is on an unsustainable path and no amount a sugarcoating from the apologists is going to change that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try it yourself. I did and this tip you linked to, does not work. It does work between CS6 and CS5.5, but not between CC and CS6. OMF export does not work either. Only if you export a non-edited timeline, else it just does not work. Effects, transitions, plug-ins, multicams etc. are all screwed up.

Take this scenario:

1. You own CS6, upgraded from CS5 for only $ 525. You have made a HD project and in 5 years and 1 month a client asks you to modify the project slightly, add some new material. OK, no problem since you have a perpetual license.
  2. You rent CC, which is $ 82/month over here. Same client request. So you have already spent $ 5904 on rent. That is without any price increases, that are inevitable.

I don't understand how anyone can be in favour of renting...

Without an exit strategy it is plain theft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cc_merchant,

Please! Don't confuse the issue with numbers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 17, 2013 Aug 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Brntoki

Why/What´s confusing?
cc_merchnat is absolutely right with his numbers!

(Im not confused and also not amused)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 18, 2013 Aug 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sarcasm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 29, 2013 Aug 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC.PNG

Gee...should I, or shouldn't I?

Let me reiterate, Adobe stop e-mailing me these!

I was willing to pay you a lot of money for upgrades over the next decade.

Now I will pay you nothing.

It started with that "one version back" nonsense, then this cloud debacle.

When you guys get a new CEO, a new management team, and a new policy that is customer centric, I may come back.

Your risk is, by the time you figure out that you need to do that, many of us will have moved on to other software and never look back.

Oh...I have kids, and I will make sure none of them get 'hooked' on your software.

You are literally losing generations of customers for nothing.

You couldn't buy this kind of bad publicity if you tried.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have canceled the Adobe newsletter 6 times now. They just keep sending me marketing emails. On each email there is a link to stop the emails. I always click on it, but the emails keep coming. Needles to say I'm carefully documenting all this in order to publish the results (when this has continued long enough).

Funny, while I was typing this message, Amazon sent me an Adobe ad as well. I unsubscribed from their marketing emails too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you need to do is go through the procedures to indicate to Adobe that the email is seen as harassment.  They are given an amount of time from that point to remove you (about 3 weeks, believe it or not)  After that point, any solicitation that comes in, you need to document and you can actually take Adobe to small claims court (most have a maximum settlement of about $1500 USD).

A company like Adobe doesn't see you as a person.  You're a pocket of cash they want to get their hands in.  And harassing your relentlessly via email communications, phone calls and postal spam is not unlike them.  But all of this is harassment, and you just need to find the legal way to inform Adobe that ANY and ALL communications with you are forbidden and will be seen as harassment.

Adobe are imbeciles.  Just today, we had to download another copy of CF10 Developer, and, as automated and always, Adobe considers this your "Opting in" to be spammed with an automated message.  Make sure you indicate your email contacts, account, etc and state explicitly that you are not opting in for anything.  It's sad that a company resorts to this type of incessant nagging; but it would be great if you could repeatedly hit them up for $1500 as they repeated the offense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines