• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got to the question "How many seats will you buy?", and when I answered "2", I got bumped out. I guess if self-employed people talk, they don't listen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SunByrd wrote:

We have many copies of CS3 Suite at work but can no longer use them as Adobe removed the updaters from their servers some time ago. We could not reinstall Illustrator CS5 as we replace aging computers as the updaters are also gone so we updated to CS6.

Are you sure? I can see updaters for CS3 apps on Adobe's website.

Still, it would be wise to make sure you have downloaded copies of all the CS6 updaters, in event of further unpleasantness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2013 Jun 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

With the help of several people I have located the CS5, CS3 updates. Previously I did several searches without finding anything. Thanks to you all and I will add... they weren't easy to find.

I am still up in the air about the subscription method. I received an offer in the mail to subscribe for a limited time for $19.95 per month. This is also the price listed on line for subscribing to Illustrator. That comes to about $240 per year and the limited offer means that will increase in time. Just as cable and internet providers keep increasing the monthly fee, I am sure this will double within a year or two.

I am 66 years old now and close to retiring. I hate to give up and let technology pass me by. I still create several new designs every week and love working with Illustrator.

I guess I really dislike the idea of allowing someone an open invitation to my wallet and take what you want. If Adobe could add some better insight into the pricing structure over time, I would probably subscribe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 30, 2013 Jun 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SunByrd wrote:

Update:

With the help of several people I have located the CS5, CS3 updates. Previously I did several searches without finding anything. Thanks to you all and I will add... they weren't easy to find.

Not really sure why they were so hard to find for you, but glad to hear you found what you needed. It took me 2 clicks to get to this link from the main site.

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative Cloud? Not for a hobbyist like me!

Two years ago I purchased a perpetual license for Creative Suite 5.5 Production Premium.

Tempted by the coming “Image Debluring” feature presented at MAX 2011, I also bought a two-year upgrade plan trusting that this feature would be introduced in Photoshop before the upgrade plan expires.

And indeed it did: although now called “Shake reduction”. But only for the Cloud; not the Suite version!

As a substitute for the remainder of the upgrade plan period, I was offered a free Creative Cloud membership for 18 months.

Nice gesture, but what will it eventually cost me?

Assume that I will continue as an amateur to edit family pictures and video’s for another 15 years after the free CC membership expires. Those fifteen years will cost me 15 times 12 months at $ 49.99 which equals $ 9,000.- not counting obvious future price increases. That’s too much for an amateur like me for a hobby paid out of retirement money.

If Adobe would just honor the upgrade plans for the CS’s rather than letting these customers down.

In conclusion: the subscription model might be good for commercial use but is too expensive for private use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pieter Hoving wrote:

Nice gesture, but what will it eventually cost me?

Assume that I will continue as an amateur to edit family pictures and video’s for another 15 years after the free CC membership expires. Those fifteen years will cost me 15 times 12 months at $ 49.99 which equals $ 9,000.- not counting obvious future price increases. That’s too much for an amateur like me for a hobby paid out of retirement money.

If Adobe would just honor the upgrade plans for the CS’s rather than letting these customers down.

In conclusion: the subscription model might be good for commercial use but is too expensive for private use.

I don't condone the exlucivity of the subscription plan, but you need to consider that after 8 years you probably will need a new computer and new OS, (regardless of Adobe); and then a new version of the Creative Suite (if offered) just to stay compatible.

So for 15 years of use there is a good chance you would probably need to spend at least an extra $3,000 on the perpetual licensed version. Still a lot cheaper of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found my $19.95 one year offer in my spam folder today . . . just where it belonged. Delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the best joke of today, month, year... it makes me smile from ear to ear...

Thanks Brntoki!

Regards,

Valentin

Op 1 jul 2013, om 16:51 heeft Brntoki het volgende geschreven:

Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?

created by Brntoki in Adobe Creative Cloud - View the full discussion

I found my $19.95 one year offer in my spam folder today . . . just where it belonged. Delete.

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5466441#5466441

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Adobe Creative Cloud by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right. Prediction is dificult - specially when is concerns the future ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh well. I've been an early (2.0) licensed Photoshop user, I've had every version of the creative suite. I've loved it for years. But in the last couple of versions, Adobe software has become awkward to install and to keep on my Mac. Update pains. Bugs. Multitudes of unnecessary helper apps. I must admit I've become a bit discontent anyway but didn't want to switch to other applications partially due to lack of such. But this is a no-go for me. I want to own my software, not rent it. So it's time to move on. I will try Coda 2 as an alternative to Dreamweaver, I will use Pixelmator 2 as an alternative to Photoshop. Given time and given Adobe's decisions, other software will continue to pop up and improve. Agreed that in the short term, it'll be a pain. But in the long run, there are enough dynamic little companies out there. It'll work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I've just now uninstalled my CS 6 and will try to work with alternatives. It may be a rash decision... but my harddrive and I feel better already. Let's see how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you found a non-Adobe publishing solution (something that would replace InDesign?)

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you didn't ask me this question but I think the most interesting ID replacement will be Affinity Publisher that will be out in beta later this year. The other programs in the suite are great and I know this one will be as well. Some of this company's products have actually become better in ways to the Adobe alternatives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. So as far as you know, there's nothing available right now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess Quark is still the big ID competitor right now. I am not sure what kind of work you do. I know that there are some tools for ebooks like Apple's iBooks Author which unfortunately only allows you to create content for iPad basically if I am not mistaken. I am going to just sit here on CS6 until I am forced to move. As good competition has been coming in it keeps getting easier to move off many Adobe products. For an example I have moved from Illustrator to Affinity Designer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

QuarkXPress is a industry level alternative and replacement. Probably your only choice as far as feature parity is concerned.

Scribus (open source and free) is quite acceptable for DTP work, although definitely not on the same level as both InDesign and QuarkXPress.

PageStream is quite good as well.

iCalamus is still available for Mac.

Depending on the type of publishing you do Canvas X might be a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your feedback.

Though it may be very limited compared to ID or Quark, it "looks" like iStudioPublisher might do the trick. Have you heard anything horrible? It's only $17 after a free 30-day trial and will export to PDF x file for Ingram Spark publishing. Seems adequate for my needs and at that price, the pain won't be too terrible if it doesn't work out.

But if you've heard horror stories, let me know. Why learn it, ya know?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2015 Jul 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Microsoft Publisher too basic for your needs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2015 Jul 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work on a Mac and nothing I have found so far (short of Adobe products and the expensive, not-so-easy-to-work-with Quark) will "finish" to PDF x1A OR x3, which are what's required for Ingram Spark and Createspace upload. iStudioPublisher says they're working on it but as of now, I'm stuck I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 25, 2015 Jul 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting - Photoline will export to a PDF /x1a or /x3. It is, however, more of an image editor with DTP functionality, rather than a full-fledged page layout application.

It supports pages, etc., although the DTP functionality is a much reduced subset of dedicated applications such as InDesign and Quark.

Still, it could be an option. Available for Mac and Windows, and a great image editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2015 Jul 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a user of the Auditon for over 8 years and recently Photo Shop Express (just a hobby of mine to remaster my music and things like that) but today I installed windows 10 coming from windows 7 (which I had Audition 3.0 'working') then as I opened up Audition this morning, it was not able to activate, so that is another issue I will contact adobe for. but I'm writing here because I looked in to the newest version of Audition and found that it is subscription based now? and pay a hefty price for the program every year???? yeah I use Audition and Photo Shop Express occasionally at most, wow I really gotta say, if I cant get Audition 3.0 to work again, I wont be wasting my money spending $479.76 every year to just use these programs every once i awhile... I gotta say, they just cut out the little guy/hobby guy... sad really, maybe i would consider every 3 years, but every year? wow I'm still surprised at this. I was considering to buy Audition CC to get the latest and greatest, but that's just totally unreasonable for anyone in my position.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 01, 2015 Aug 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Luckily many excellent alternatives are available on the market (both free and commercial) for Audition:

Sound Forge Pro 11‌ (industry standard solution)

Sound Forge Audio Studio 10‌ (home users)

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits

Ardour - the digital audio workstation

GoldWave - Audio Editor, Recorder, Converter, Restoration, & Analysis Software

...and many more. All of these are perpetual licenses. and avoid the Digital Serfdom model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 05, 2015 Jun 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From one perspective, Adobe is doing the "right thing" - they are making HUGE sums of money off professionals who can afford to buy the expensive tools they use everyday.  From the other perspective, they are ALIENATING EVERYONE - both professionals and amateurs buy the subscription pricing.  Even $10 a month is too much for many people's use.  So you are driving your low base away to other products.  I have a number of computers and users - and ANYTHING that doesn't demand the use of Adobe products is now supporting other software.  I do pay for several subscriptions, but every single time I see that bill go by in the email, I'm pissed off.  I hate having to use/support different tools - but I refuse to pay for software/use situations that don't warrant paying your prices.  God, even Microsoft has realized their "mistake" for what they charge for software. Sure, they have raked in Billions, but they've also earned a lot of well deserved nicknames like Micro$oft.  Is that your goal Adobe?  To be THE MONEY GRUBBING SOFTWARE GRAPHICS SOFTWARE COMPANY?

And the cloud - damn, more attempting to force users into a model where they become totally dependent on your servers, where you can track their daily usage patterns.  I refuse to use the cloud (well, your cloud) and again, every time it shoves itself into my face I get angry.  Every time it asks me if I want to use it, I get angry.  Give me ONE SWITCH that says "I DON'T EVER WANT TO USE YOUR CLOUD" and then charge me half as much because you don't have to support that use.  Whatever you do - don't force me to use the cloud, for that day will be the day where I go to someone else, even if the software isn't as good or as usable.

mgg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2015 Jun 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with the cloud thing....I don't trust ANY company or technology enough to depend on "the cloud" to store my critical stuff.  But they are not forcing you to do that.  You can work 100% offline except for once every so often to verify your license.

As for the "both professionals and amateurs buy the subscription pricing.  Even $10 a month is too much for many people's use.  So you are driving your low base away to other products.  "

That situation is true for most all products out there,

Take the auto market.  I want a brand new Hellcat Challenger at some $55k plus.   But I cannot afford it.  And they won't take my arm and a leg for it....LOL....   Should Chrysler give it to me or offer it to me for 1/4 the cost just to be nice?

Or how about cell phones?    I see people on very slim budgets somehow "affording" the latest iPhones at some $600 each and huge data plans at $100+ per month so they can play games online.  I have a bare bones phone for about $100 and the cheapest plan I could find at about $40 a month.  I lived for years without a cell phone, let alone a "smart phone".  It's doable.  But I wanted a smart phone....just wont pay $600 for one so I have a knockoff. People will find a way to pay for things they really want.  Its called priorities.

I would bet you that half the people griping about this new way of doing things (change happens people, get over it) have iPhones and smoke or drink,,,,,both which could be considered "habits" that cost way more than $10 per month.

Manufacturers of ANY product make the product to make money.  People don't expect free cars or free phones or free cigarettes......and in the latter case, the product makes you an ADDICT who HAS to have the product daily.at some $5-8 per pack, with some people smoking a pack a day just to slowly poison themselves. 

But for some reason, many people view software, books, music and such as something different.....thinking these items should be shared freely (stealing) on the interweb.   It costs money to get a band together and record a song....to write and publish a book...and to develop , write , market and support software.  You wouldn't walk into a car dealership and demand the keys to a brand new car as "your right" would you?  Why does ANYONE feel its OK to demand free or reduced rate or infinitely-extending licenses for software?

If I walk into a Chrysler dealership and say "I am only gonna drive the Hellcat a few times out of the month, as a hobby"...does that change Chrysler's investment into their product?

People say "I am just a hobbyist so I cant afford the cost (of a professional tool)."  Well, the answer there is "find a cheaper tool for your hobby or change hobbies". 

It's about --- Priorities. It's about  -- Pay to Play.  It's about paying for a professional tool that can make you money if you choose to use it that way or to make your work done as a hobby look professional.  But that's your decision, not Adobe's.

The market will speak volumes about whether a product is "worth it" or not.   If Chrysler sells 5 Hellcats they will stop producing them and move on to some other product (thought they are selling them faster than they can make them)......and if Adobe finds that their new licensing model doesn't net them profit, they will change it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines