• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'Typical'

LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing that is 'typical' is you locking a thread anytime you dont like what's been said.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 124 Replies 124
Mentor ,
Dec 15, 2018 Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're splitting hairs here and kind of micro-analyzing, no? This is a Dreamweaver forum. Why do I keep hearing myself explaining that?

This is how threads that become good debates get thrown off the tracks and I'm going to try really hard not to get salty

First some backstory:

We actually have colleges where instructors have purchased class licenses enabling them to install extensions on their student machines. We also donate products to students and teachers (as well as non-profits).

Dreamweaver, despite all that has been taken out, still has many features that your attitude would construe as wrong, based on your previous comments. Insert > Image. Shouldn't a student be forced to write the img tag manually?

You're basing your entire knockdown of extensions on the basis of a small sample of Dreamweaver users: Web Design Students. I wholeheartedly agree with you that a student should never learn to make a web page using Bootstrap or our page building extensions. When that student successfully masters the concepts of coding and graduates, he should, however, be free to select tools that augment his skills or that save time by automating things he is capable of doing manually.

Not valid. The debate moderator throws out your response. Let's start again, please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reply again.

If someone is learning to code, in order to find/increase their employment chances, with a future unknown employer. There is no guarantee that the future employer will even have Dw for them to use.

The only guarantee is that a code editor will be available.

Your reply edited

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If someone is learning to code, in order to find/increase their employment chances, with a future unknown employer. There is no guarantee that the future employer will even have Dw for them to use.

The only guarantee is that a code editor will be available.

I'm not disputing that. We've created a tangent that goes beyond the scope of a Dreamweaver forum and into the realm of something bigger. So, should the illuminati of this forum simply proclaim "Thou shalt not use Dreamweaver except if you promise to code everything manually?"

I'm speaking to Dreamweaver users and I know who they are. In fact, they call us every single day - so I actually do speak to them. It's not theoretical to me.

You do realize that many web designers work from home, either part of the time, or all of the time. And because of that, they actually own and use their own computers? And that whether or not their employers have Dreamweaver, they are free to install and use their own tools? And that all that matters is the code that shows up in their final work?

In terms of being absolute, this is a completely unnecessary and pretty-much indefensible scenario we have embarked upon. For me, though, I am simply following your lead .

The sky is not falling. We will probably not be struck by a meteor tomorrow afternoon, and a lot of web designers love tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying we should ignore those learning web design/development with a student subscription?

I don't know how many posts are from student who are learning web development, and no one else does, (maybe Adobe). But I do know teaching such users into anything but code, will not help them when they write their CV.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying we should ignore those learning web design/development with a student subscription?

Nope. I don't even know what Adobe's subscription policies are. All I said is that we have colleges (as well as government agencies) that use our extensions.

I don't know how many posts are from student who are learning web development, and no one else does, (maybe Adobe). But I do know teaching such users into anything but code, will not help them when they write their CV.

No one is suggesting pushing anyone. We sell extensions. Damn good ones, but we listen and react to what our customers ask for. Nothing more. Extensions are optional tools for users. If they see them as time-savers, and use them responsibly, there is only a benefit and never a liability. I cannot tell you how many times I've walked a user through a complete makeover of a widget by teaching them how to write CSS. We are as much teachers as we are sellers, Paula. It is always one thing that has made us different than the average extension seller.

On an interesting side note, we have a good customer in Pakistan who cannot use Dreamweaver. We explode our widgets for him and send him the code, the CSS and the script with instructions on how to deploy them. I know of very few companies that provide this type of service and education.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats seriously sensible and l totally agree without wishing to upset anyone. To lock yourself into any workflow or any particular editor if you are seriously considering  a career in development is suicide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's seriously sensible and l totally agree without wishing to upset anyone. To lock yourself into any workflow or any particular editor if you are seriously considering  a career in development is suicide

Unless you also know how to code. If so, Dreamweaver is just a tool. An extension is just a tool. And this discussion is simply among 3 people who actually think more alike then they sometimes let on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing wrong with DW in my opinion, as you say its just another code editor with the added bonus of some good extensions being available for those that have the necessity to use them.  For those that are going to be in this game for the long term l can only hope they make considered decisions and approaches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A decent coder is not going to save that much time using an extension, infact it might be the reverse eventually. I reuse the components that l build, just a simple copy and paste whereas if you use an extension each time you have to go through the extensions UI selecting a number of settings. Depending on how complex the operation that could be quite a few selections and panels.

Im also intimately familar with the code produced and am learning in the process of building the component. This can be used to great advantage and a lot of the techniques used can be applied in numerous different situations as you are building a website. So l dont quite agree.

I do agree in regards to those that have zero interest in coding. Its not feasable to ecpect someone that only does web development as a side line to learn coding. Generally they are quite happy to use an automated process which most times will suit their requirements and expectations of what can be expected from a package workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALsp  wrote

I think that you mean that we are not evangelising a crippled version of Dreamweaver, devoid of Bootstrap. In which case I wholly agree. As for working in our own way? Perhaps you could explain what you do.

I think that Jon has hit the nail on its head and I fully support his stance.

Do you even realize how disconnected, yet amazingly revealing the above 2 sentences are regarding what's wrong with this forum? Probably not.

And if you cannot see that saying you support Bootstrap over Foundation because Bootstrap is some sort of tool within Dreamweaver is a little narrow? My grandfather had a bad case of toenail fungus once. While the fungus was a part of his toe, he was not very happy about it and didn't give up until he killed it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

To use Bootstrap effectively (and that does not include getting handed snippets of code from this forum) one must learn CSS to the point where they reach a major crossroads...

Do I continue to use a bloated (yep, there is no denying it is bloated) framework made by others when I now know enough to do it myself?

This is a classic debate in the sense that the truth hardly matters anymore, but in real life, and at the end of the day, truth is the only thing can set you free

Sorry, I fail to see the 'disconnected' connotation.

Is it not true that this just happens to be a Dreamweaver forum and that we should be helping our peers to overcome problems with the use of the program? When using the program, one is enticed to use a built-in framework called Bootstrap, sorry, not Foundation. When helping a peer with a problem, there is a possibility that it can very easily be solved by using Bootstrap. After all, it is part of the Dreamweaver.

And what's wrong with this forum, as you put it, is the number of regular contributors that are constantly bagging (Aussi slang) Dreamweaver. And this is where I become personal. pziecina​, ALsp​ and osgood_​, none of you use the latest version of Dreamweaver in a production environment, yet you have the loudest voices regarding the use of Bootstrap using a cliche phrase, 'it is bloated'. The irony is that the extra KB's that the framework carries in it's 'bloated' version is no more than adding a small image. Yet none of you place the same emphasis on images or have explored HTTP/2 or nginx,  all of which have a far greater effect than a little 'bloated' framework.

I am still with https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jon+Fritz+II

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get personal if you wish Ben, I never have in any reply to yourself.

I have tested Dw 2015/2017/2018 in a production environment, and as I mainly use the code editor because nothing else in any of those versions is of any use to me, my opinions are just that, my opinions. I do not expect anyone to share them, but just as you promote bootstrap simply because it is 'part of Dw', I support using the code editor which believe it or not, is also part of Dw. So promoting using the code editor and learning to code, is no different to your promotion of bootstrap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier  wrote

And what's wrong with this forum, as you put it, is the number of regular contributors that are constantly bagging (Aussi slang) Dreamweaver. And this is where I become personal. pziecina , ALsp  and osgood_ , none of you use the latest version of Dreamweaver in a production environment, yet you have the loudest voices regarding the use of Bootstrap using a cliche phrase, 'it is bloated'. The irony is that the extra KB's that the framework carries in it's 'bloated' version is no more than adding a small image. Yet none of you place the same emphasis on images or have explored HTTP/2 or nginx,  all of which have a far greater effect than a little 'bloated' framework.

I am still with https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jon+Fritz+II

Bloated html that's bad! Bootstrap is knee deep in uneccesary <divs> and css classes. The extra weight carried by the attached css files isnt nice either but I can at least 'ignore' that as its tucked away in the background, much as I do with the bloated jquery library. I just hate stuff 'in my face' so to speak.

And your wrong about ignoring the the extra small image relationship - I bought that up months, maybe as far back as a year ago when asking does it really matter how big the linked files  are when debating about bloated frameworks, be it Bootstrap or jQuery or some other flavour framework/library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  wrote

Bloated html that's bad! Bootstrap is knee deep in uneccesary <divs> and css classes. The extra weight carried by the attached css files isnt nice either but I can at least 'ignore' that as its tucked away in the background, much as I do with the bloated jquery library. I just hate stuff 'in my face' so to speak.

What amazes me is that Ben says he is in agreement with Jon Fritz, (calling a truce) then posts the first personal remarks in this entire discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

osgood_   wrote

What amazes me is that Ben says he is in agreement with Jon Fritz, (calling a truce) then posts the first personal remarks in this entire discussion.

To be fair Paula I dont think it was too much of a 'personal' attack, Ben is just saying how it is. We do, or I do particularly , diss Bootstrap when I get the opportunity but forgood enough reasons, I think. Its just plain ugly!

Jon F doesnt use Bootstrap either to my knowledege.

Im also not sure what the connection between using Bootstrap and Dreamweaver is <confused>. Bootstrap is Bootstrap, I don't need to use Dreamweaver to make an assessment of Bootstrap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  wrote

To be fair Paula I dont think it was too much of a 'personal' attack, ...

It wasn't, but it annoys me when he misrepresents the facts.

I have always said Dw required some form of rwd framework, and that Dw had no choice but to include bootstrap. That does not meen I have to agree to its use, over that of a self coded solution. I have also offered to discuss images and http2 in seperate discussions, but to date none have been created.

My opinions about Dw are well known since the days of CS5, in that code is the main priority, but visual 'helpers' should be included to help those that wish them. I also do not agree with the Dw approach of 'one size fits all' and the complete exclusion of any features that support none framework and none pre/post-processor users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

osgood_   wrote

I have always said Dw required some form of rwd framework, and that Dw had no choice but to include bootstrap. That does not meen I have to agree to its use, over that of a self coded solution. I have also offered to discuss images and http2 in seperate discussions, but to date none have been created.

My opinions about Dw are well known since the days of CS5, in that code is the main priority, but visual 'helpers' should be included to help those that wish them. I also do not agree with the Dw approach of 'one size fits all' and the complete exclusion of any features that support none framework and none pre/post-processor users.

I agree with you DW lost its way some time ago. I don't anwser questions directly related to Dreamweaver at all. Its meaningless to me. I just speak in general about web-development.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

osgood_   wrote

I have always said Dw required some form of rwd framework, and that Dw had no choice but to include bootstrap. That does not meen I have to agree to its use, over that of a self coded solution.

I'm not sure Dreamweaver requires a framework. My twelve year-old neighbor, who is fascinated with web design, and who I have tutored, can lay out a responsive CSS page in no time. I've always maintained that Dreamweaver should contain a basic page layout tool... a real tool. If they had one today, and say it was Flexbox based, they could add a second tool to Dreamweaver 2021 based on CSS Grid. Gosh, it would be so easy. Um, a twelve year old could do it

The means to deliver page layout templates (starter pages) could then be made easier, enabling users to share or sell designs. But that kind of  sounds too much like a community. Darn.

Enabling Bootstrap by evangelizing it on the forum is tantamount to enabling Dreamweaver to continue on a path of mediocrity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALsp  wrote

I've always maintained that Dreamweaver should contain a basic page layout tool... a real tool. If they had one today, and say it was Flexbox based, they could add a second tool to Dreamweaver 2021 based on CSS Grid. Gosh, it would be so easy. Um, a twelve year old could do it

I'm positive you and a number of other Dw team, ACP's and forum members can remember my evangelist stance, about Dw having a simple layout tool for flexbox, multi-column and grids a few years ago, (o/k, about 8 LOL). The problem then, (but it was considered back then) and probably now is that too many people involved with Dw's features took their leave of Dw's development, and of those left too many don't know enough about css layouts, beyond using floats, to know not just how but why a certain css layout feature should be used, or how to combine them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe Adobe could hire my neighbor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALsp  wrote

Enabling Bootstrap by evangelizing it on the forum is tantamount to enabling Dreamweaver to continue on a path of mediocrity.

I don't have anything against anyone evangelizing bootstrap or anything else. What I am against is someone thinking I should say nothing if their actions are prejudicial against other views.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have anything against anyone evangelizing bootstrap or anything else. What I am against is someone thinking I should say nothing if their actions are prejudicial against other views.

I think it would be fine to Evangelize Bootstrap if you truly believe it is good code. After all, many thousands of people bought Yugos back in the day and some actually loved the little buggers. My problem is with portraying that Bootstrap is automatically and unequivocally the way you design page layouts if you are using Dreamweaver.  That is disinformative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

one is enticed to use a built-in framework called Bootstrap

Exactly!

When helping a peer with a problem, there is a possibility that it can very easily be solved by using Bootstrap.

Whose peer? And in my humble opinion, based on whatever experience I have with code, I would not agree that anything can be easily solved with Bootstrap. You speak as if there is a Bootstrap page layout interface in Dreamweaver. There is not. Most of what forum users are pushed to do (the same people who've been enticed already) involves writing markup or writing CSS.

And this is where I become personal. pziecina, ALsp and osgood_, none of you use the latest version of Dreamweaver in a production environment, yet you have the loudest voices regarding the use of Bootstrap using a cliche phrase, 'it is bloated'.

Bootstrap is bloated. We have Dreamweaver 19 installed. We use it for testing. If it were worthy of replacing CS6 as our production environment, it would become our go-to. But it's not. And there is nothing wrong with that. The heading top this page doe not read "Dreamweaver 19 Forum". My love for Dreamweaver is a tough love. Not an enabling one. I want to see it fixed and I want to see it innovate.

The irony is that the extra KB's that the framework carries in it's 'bloated' version is no more than adding a small image. Yet none of you place the same emphasis on images or have explored HTTP/2 or nginx,  all of which have a far greater effect than a little 'bloated' framework.

With all due respect, that is baloney. First of all, the CSS and script required can run up close to, or slightly over 1MB. Secondly, no matter what kind of compression or delivery system is used (and this is outside the scope of Dreamweaver), the many thousands of lines still need to be read and processed. When I call Bootstrap bloated, however, it is not so much because of its file size (which is still humongous) but because of the number of lines a user must pour over to understand  it.

And, I don't know what kind of images you make, but if you use small images that are several hundred K, you've got a lot to learn abut optimization. I'm assuming your statement was confused.

Ben, you can win this debate politically, but never in real life. Sorry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALsp  wrote

With all due respect, that is baloney. First of all, the CSS and script required can run up close to, or slightly over 1MB. Secondly, no matter what kind of compression or delivery system is used (and this is outside the scope of Dreamweaver), the many thousands of lines still need to be read and processed. When I call Bootstrap bloated, however, it is not so much because of its file size (which is still humongous) but because of the number of lines a user must pour over to understand  it.

And, I don't know what kind of images you make, but if you use small images that are several hundred K, you've got a lot to learn abut optimization. I'm assuming your statement was confused.

Ben, you can win this debate politically, but never in real life. Sorry

Baloney? Here are the facts

bootstrap.css 141 KB (full version which can be reduced when the complete library is not required)

bootstrap.js 51 KB (only required when using widgets like carousel etc.)

Total 195 KB

If you want to include jquery into the equation

jquery.slim.js 70 KB (only required when widgets have been deployed)

popper.js 20 KB (only required when tooltips are deployed)

Total 90KB

Grand total 285 KB This would be added if the full bundle is included and assumes that without Bootstrap, no CSS or JS would be required. Where is the slightly over 1MB?

Changing the subject, backing Dreamweaver and all of its features can only help to promote its use. Bagging it will turn users away. I would've thought that, with your business, you would like more people to use Bootstrap. At the moment I can see them going to other platforms in droves. Surely this harms your business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grand total 285 KB This would be added if the full bundle is included and assumes that without Bootstrap, no CSS or JS would be required. Where is the slightly over 1MB?

We're debating a war and you're worried about what color shoes the generals are wearing . The grand total, by the way, of files added to my Dreamweaver site, when using Bootstrap to create a page is 404KB. Many of our customers, however, show us pages they are trying to convert to a sensible model and those pages have a combination of multiple scripts and additional CSS required by various plugins or added by Dreamweaver that can make that total considerably higher. But let's not use a minor discrepancy to deflect from the main crux of the discussion, which is what it seems as if you are doing

I'm really not able to follow the point in your closing paragraph. Sorry, but this discussion is not about me finding more business. It's about things that Dreamweaver could do for improvement and how these very discussions seem to devolve into unreasonable tirades or unsubstantiated points that make what could be productive discussions into dead ends that are locked before concluding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure where the war thingy came from, this is what my file manager reports:

Looks like I cannot add up any more, the grand total is 282 KB and not 285 KB. My apologies for that, I should have used a calculator to start off with.

Don't worry too much about missing the point of the last paragraph, it will dawn on you soon enough, hopefully before it is too late.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines